Author Topic: What I'm listening to now....  (Read 124194 times)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Re: What I'm listening to now....
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2007, 06:01:23 PM »
I got that new Backstreet Boys album, and even thugh I'm a devoted fan, I can say it's really bad. Out of 16 tracks, I can probably only listen to about 3 of htem. That's pretty sad.  ;;)

And I thought you seemed all right  :whistle:

I never leave my boys when they're down (see 06 Roddick).

No, my point was the fact that Backstreet Boys are 'your boys'  :whistle:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2007, 10:02:14 PM »
I got that new Backstreet Boys album, and even thugh I'm a devoted fan, I can say it's really bad. Out of 16 tracks, I can probably only listen to about 3 of htem. That's pretty sad.  ;;)

I have never listened to backstreet boys. wasn't justin timberlake part of bsb back in thier peak? he seems to have dropped and made quite some success by himself, and even though I don't like to admit it he has some variety and has some music to go along so i don't mind listening to his stuff.. do i dare say i even enjoy it?..maybe. anyway I hope 'your boys' come out with some good stuff.

anyone listen to the minutes to midnight album linkin park came up with (whats up with these 'old' bands resurgence?) everyone says its really good but i think its just allright. i like the what i've done song but thats about it. I am not a fan of linkin park but there are a lot of thier songs I really do like. almost everything that doesn't involve screaming. I feel sick whenever I hear screaming stuff or really hard metal sorta thing.
any linkin park fans here?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:03:08 PM by pawan89 »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2007, 11:42:17 PM »

:confused1: What's wrong with that? Is it because they are 30 year old men, if so, I know that.

And pawan... for shame that you confuse the fabulous BSB with the wannabe N*SYNCers.  :)~ Only Kevin left BSB.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2007, 12:59:33 AM »

:confused1: What's wrong with that? Is it because they are 30 year old men, if so, I know that.

And pawan... for shame that you confuse the fabulous BSB with the wannabe N*SYNCers.  :)~ Only Kevin left BSB.

:rofl_2: Indeed. Tells you how much music I listen to. Its just that I get most of the 'similar' bands confused, like the whole 4-5 boys who sing the same kinda love songs and have a fan club comprised 99% of 10-13 year girls falling all over the place over them. These days it seems like a bunch of girls who all sound alike and sing the same kinda stuff .. I can't tell one apart from the other while listening... like.. uhh... Beyonce and.. and.. my point exactly. I don't know anyone.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2007, 01:29:35 AM »
Well, you have Beyonce and Rihanna, who are sort of similar. I prefer Rihanna though. Of course you know the difference between Britney, X-Tina, and Jessica, right?

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2007, 02:14:49 AM »
Well, you have Beyonce and Rihanna, who are sort of similar. I prefer Rihanna though. Of course you know the difference between Britney, X-Tina, and Jessica, right?

Should I be embarassed by the fact that I don't know any of those last three. I am assuming you are talking about Britney Spears? Of whom I have only heard 'rumors' that she was once the bext big thing in music and now has all sorts of problems. No clue who the other two are  :gleam:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2007, 10:15:50 AM »
Christina Aguliera and Jessica Simpson??

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2007, 10:30:02 AM »

Should I be embarassed by the fact that I don't know any of those last three. I am assuming you are talking about Britney Spears? Of whom I have only heard 'rumors' that she was once the bext big thing in music and now has all sorts of problems. No clue who the other two are  :gleam:

Don't be embarassed, I only knew Britney as well.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #188 on: November 13, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »
I love Ipods....    :))

A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld is a nearly 20 minute piece of ethereal beauty. I am now under it's spell, following that are two pieces by Rod Modell and Michael Mantra called Arecibo (Sleeping Under The Big Dish) (31:24) and then Gulf Breeze Sonar (32:18) from Radio Fore.
Following that are more equally relaxing lengthy pieces of ambient beauty. This list could play for 3 days without repeating (I know because it has done just that).
Yesterday, with the same ipod I was listing to song after song of 80's pop/new wave/rock music. There are well over 700 songs in that list. Each one a favorite, not a dud in the bunch.

Did I say I loved ipods?

Back to floating.....  :cloud 9:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #189 on: November 14, 2007, 11:49:35 PM »

A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld is a nearly 20 minute piece of ethereal beauty. I am now under it's spell, following that are two pieces by Rod Modell and Michael Mantra called Arecibo (Sleeping Under The Big Dish) (31:24) and then Gulf Breeze Sonar (32:18) from Radio Fore.
Following that are more equally relaxing lengthy pieces of ambient beauty. This list could play for 3 days without repeating (I know because it has done just that).
Yesterday, with the same ipod I was listing to song after song of 80's pop/new wave/rock music. There are well over 700 songs in that list. Each one a favorite, not a dud in the bunch.

Did I say I loved ipods?

I 'stole' my dad's Sandisk (more like adopted it after he abandoned it) recently. It's 1 gig :-\ but I think this is good cuz if I had a 60gig Ipod it'd become yet another external hardrive for music and I'd still end up listening to the 1gig worth of music I listen to most often. Sad thing is I have had it for a while and put music on it - but I haven't gotten batteries for it after it died (1 AAA) so I haven't listened anything with it. I believe its flash memory as opposed to a hard disk which is what Ipods have right? So kinda better but the 1gig is max they offer and its pretty low (maybe the new ones are better). Besides ipods look totally cool, so does my Sandisk one but its not the same. I want an Ipod but its not worth the money for me at least, I rarely have time to listen to music these days besides when I am at the comptuer. I am not the kind to walk around listening to an ipod, I want to be more connected to the world with all my senses  :)) It's still cool, I like listening to music when I am doing most of my work - but when it comes to real work where I have to actually think and use my brain, I shut it off.l

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2008, 12:34:49 AM »
Just to wake this topic up, I've been wrapped up in Negativland's Over the Edge shows for the past few days. It's easy to get wrapped up in them. They are at times boring and stupid, and at times brilliant and engaging.
Over the Edge is a show on KPFA in Berkley (a stridently left wing public radio station that refuses to take any commercial contribution, and will not give in to NPR's monopoly on public radio) that is broadcast most Thursday nights at midnight. It's normally a 3 hour show, but on months with 5 Thursdays it is 5 hours. It is not heard on the 1st Thurday of the month.
All of that used to be fairly important if you want to catch the show on the radio, but of course it's now available on the internet at http://www.kpfa.org/
It is mostly the braichild of Don Joyce, a member of the band called Negativland. He creates very enigmatic 3 hour audio montages with various audio sources based on 1 subject matter. The last few years he has been focused on "How Radio Was Done". Basically a history of the world through the eyes of radio, by way of a history of radio. Using air checks from various DJs in various ages, and comercials, audio from documentaries about things that happened in a particular year, and taking calls from, normally annoying, callers in the San Francisco Bay area. All with a background of songs from each year. Currently he is up to 1982 (or possibly 1983).
He has turned the Over the Edge eye on many different subjects from people like Ken Nordine and James Burke to subjects like religion, the history of flight, numbers, and UFOs. There is a whole series of episodes entitled Another UFO covering that subject.
Besides the interesting mix of sounds and concepts that the shows provide Joyce seems to be able to stradle the edge of subjects without really making it clear who is right and who is wrong. He maintains a good balance. For instance he states he doesn't believe in UFOs, but if you listen to his programs about the subject, you might be fooled into believe that he does believe in them. His shows dealing with religion feature sound about Islam, various Christian beliefs, Jewish, and other odd ball religions. All without judgement.
Another good source to find Negativland shows is SerpentX's half-assed Over the Edge/Puzzling Evidence Archive http://matrix.csustan.edu/Negativ/ While KPFA's archieve is up to day with the most recent shows, they are all in fairly low qualtiy 30Kh  mono mp3s. SerpentX has some good quality stereo shows, but he updates infrequently. Stereo is definitly the best way to enjoy the world of Over the Edge.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »

Did I say I loved ipods?

I 'stole' my dad's Sandisk (more like adopted it after he abandoned it) recently. It's 1 gig :-\ but I think this is good cuz if I had a 60gig Ipod it'd become yet another external hardrive for music and I'd still end up listening to the 1gig worth of music I listen to most often. Sad thing is I have had it for a while and put music on it - but I haven't gotten batteries for it after it died (1 AAA) so I haven't listened anything with it. I believe its flash memory as opposed to a hard disk which is what Ipods have right? So kinda better but the 1gig is max they offer and its pretty low (maybe the new ones are better). Besides ipods look totally cool, so does my Sandisk one but its not the same. I want an Ipod but its not worth the money for me at least, I rarely have time to listen to music these days besides when I am at the comptuer. I am not the kind to walk around listening to an ipod, I want to be more connected to the world with all my senses  :)) It's still cool, I like listening to music when I am doing most of my work - but when it comes to real work where I have to actually think and use my brain, I shut it off.l

I have a Sandisk myself. It's pretty good quality stuff...

But anyways, lately I've been listening to some throw-back Linkin park music. Their old stuff is so different than their new stuff. I love both either way.
Be the change that you seek.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2008, 05:06:49 PM »
Bleed It Out by Lincin Park  :H
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
Bleed It Out by Lincin Park  :H

That's an okay song... I'm not really that much into head-banging style like that song is, but I love it still... My favorite song on that album is "hands held high". It's like amazing...

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
Bleed It Out by Linkin Park  :H

That's an okay song... I'm not really that much into head-banging style like that song is, but I love it still... My favorite song on that album is "hands held high". It's like amazing...

Linkin Park has really done well fusing "rap" and "grunge". I really didn't expect to see you comment favorably on them. Thanks, I'll have to check out "Hands Held High". I haven't gotten around to picking up the album.

Btw, old folk like me say "album". You younin's still call them albums?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »

Linkin Park has really done well fusing "rap" and "grunge". I really didn't expect to see you comment favorably on them. Thanks, I'll have to check out "Hands Held High". I haven't gotten around to picking up the album.

Yeah we call em albums.lol
But why wouldn't I comment on them favorably?
I LOVE Linkin Park. Their new album's pretty good, but I have to warn you that it's a bit different from thier previous 2.... ANd it's only 10 songs.lol. Also, check out "Valentine's Day" when you get a chance.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2008, 05:48:12 PM »

I LOVE Linkin Park. Their new album's pretty good, but I have to warn you that it's a bit different from thier previous 2.... ANd it's only 10 songs.lol. Also, check out "Valentine's Day" when you get a chance.

Have you ever indicated that you are interested in anything but your long list of female vocalists? If so, I missed it. Linkin Park is pretty out there, by anyone's standard. A screamer and a rapper--but they make it work. Okay, Valentine's Day.

Btw, what is it that you like about LP?

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »

Have you ever indicated that you are interested in anything but your long list of female vocalists? If so, I missed it. Linkin Park is pretty out there, by anyone's standard. A screamer and a rapper--but they make it work. Okay, Valentine's Day.

Haha. I guess that makes sense. But the reason there's so much dwelling on the female vocalists is because I'm a singer and I'm seriously into music. I'm baritone, so it's easier for me to sing in a soprano/alto key than in a tenor key(which is what most guys are). But even with that, I'm a songwriter as well, and I try to draw influence from as many different genres of music as I can so that I can come up with my own style...

I love Linkin Park because it's like my "angry music". It's for whenever I'm mad or sad or just want to scream or something. Plus, Chester Bennington is an AWESOME vocalist. Like, if I didn't have my own voice, his would definitely be my second choice.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »

Haha. I guess that makes sense. But the reason there's so much dwelling on the female vocalists is because I'm a singer and I'm seriously into music. I'm baritone, so it's easier for me to sing in a soprano/alto key than in a tenor key(which is what most guys are). But even with that, I'm a songwriter as well, and I try to draw influence from as many different genres of music as I can so that I can come up with my own style...

I love Linkin Park because it's like my "angry music". It's for whenever I'm mad or sad or just want to scream or something. Plus, Chester Bennington is an AWESOME vocalist. Like, if I didn't have my own voice, his would definitely be my second choice.

I knew that already. There had to be something about their lyrics and angst that clicks with you... and me   ;-()

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »
I used their song in my new tennis montage.... In case u haven't watched it yet...

it's in the tennis discussion section.