Author Topic: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?  (Read 85001 times)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Re: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2008, 09:22:45 AM »
Diesel, where I live, is around $4.15/gallon so I guess thats around 2.1 british pounds/gallon.  The increased cost of transportation makes the cost of everything else such as food go up too.  Unfortunately, it seems like we're going to be stuck in this situation for the next couple of months atleast.   :( 

Yesh seems Diesel is much more expensive as well in America then, one thing though that I would say is that I so wish we were paying £2.10 for any fuel other here. That would be absolutely fantastic and cut our fuel bills down by around 54%.

It's funny becasue Diesel used to cost lower than regular unleaded fuel. It was a big selling point for Diesel VWs and Mercedes Bens back in the day.

Classic!!! I can never get over that figure of speech  :innocent:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Today was a day that I seriously considered the fact that soon it may not be worth driving as one of my best friends dad works in one of the main petrol refineries and he has heard there that our price per litre could soon rise to £1.50 per litre which would be around £7 per gallon, so roughly $13.20 per gallon. If that happens then Britain will come to a complete holt- there would be absolute chaos in the country :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »
Today was a day that I seriously considered the fact that soon it may not be worth driving as one of my best friends dad works in one of the main petrol refineries and he has heard there that our price per litre could soon rise to £1.50 per litre which would be around £7 per gallon, so roughly $13.20 per gallon. If that happens then Britain will come to a complete holt- there would be absolute chaos in the country :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Wow, tough stuff, and the Americans think that they have it hard!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »

Just think how that would kill this country and its people, rising that far- I'd simply refuse to pay it and even said to my mum that I'll do my best to move to America or somewhere- as thats the only way I'll continue driving! Paying that much would hardly be worth getting out of bed to go to work! :ranting:

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #244 on: April 24, 2008, 05:01:16 PM »

Just think how that would kill this country and its people, rising that far- I'd simply refuse to pay it and even said to my mum that I'll do my best to move to America or somewhere- as thats the only way I'll continue driving! Paying that much would hardly be worth getting out of bed to go to work! :ranting:

:swoon: $13.20 per gallon is ridiculous in any country.   
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »

It's all relative. It's relelative to wages and overall cost of living. I don't know what the average wage in the UK is. As there doesn't seem to be any great outrage it's enough to support this price. What was the price say 5 years ago? What was the price 10 years ago. I think, without any knowlege (or web site for European gas prices like Gas Buddy) it is more in relation to the dollar now than it was then.
Now if you take the projected UK gas price of $13/gal and suddenly bring it the US, you would definitely have a problem. Because the US economy isn't ready for that price, yet. It'll be here in a decade or so. Or hopefully it takes a decade or more to reach that price. But by the the UK price will be the equivilent of $20/gal or more.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2008, 01:09:38 AM »

It's all relative. It's relelative to wages and overall cost of living. I don't know what the average wage in the UK is. As there doesn't seem to be any great outrage it's enough to support this price. What was the price say 5 years ago? What was the price 10 years ago. I think, without any knowlege (or web site for European gas prices like Gas Buddy) it is more in relation to the dollar now than it was then.
Now if you take the projected UK gas price of $13/gal and suddenly bring it the US, you would definitely have a problem. Because the US economy isn't ready for that price, yet. It'll be here in a decade or so. Or hopefully it takes a decade or more to reach that price. But by the the UK price will be the equivilent of $20/gal or more.

Make no mistake about it our economy simply isn't ready for that either sort of price either(we may be more equipped than America because of ours being so much higher already, but it would be a crisis of epic proportions over here). For our fuel prices to possibly go up by 50% there is no way the country could deal with that and it'll be absolute chaos over here. Not just with the economy either, the amount of huge protests we'd see if it gets to that mark would stop the tankers getting to the stations and as a result it'll be another petrol shortage crisis- but this one on a completely different level. If and its a big if at this stage the price does go upto 150p her lite, so around $13 per gallon then I'd seriously fear for the collapse of our economy.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2008, 01:55:01 AM »
Here's an interesting site for you UK members:

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Looks like quite a bit of your cost goes to taxes according to this chart http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html.

Now for us 'mericans I found this interesting and helpful (someone in Europe neads to develop a GasBuddy type web site).
Note the green states, where prices are lowest, and the brown going to red states where it's highest. Notice how many of the temperatures follow state lines. I'm pretty sure this has to do with state taxes.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2008, 02:10:59 AM »
Nice couple of links you've got there Dmas and interesting to type different postcodes in and see what prices we're looking at across the country. It's certainly true that a fair amount of the price we pay for petrol is for taxes :ranting: :ranting: and then to rub salt into the wounds even more a lot of those taxes we pay we see wasting in ridiculous projects, or go as benefits to the amount of foreign people coming into the country, or even back to their families at home(in other countries) :ranting:
Thats a great diagram of America and gives a real idea as to where prices are at it cheapest, compared to the high prices in some of the States.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2008, 02:11:16 AM »
Here's a German site that compares international prices fixed to the Euro (I'm assuming also that the prices are converted to liters as well).
France is at 1.36 Euro/lit
Finland is at 1.44 Euro/lit
US is at .61 Euro/lit
UK is at 1.25 Euro/lit

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2008, 02:13:19 AM »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2008, 02:14:42 AM »
Nice couple of links you've got there Dmas and interesting to type different postcodes in and see what prices we're looking at across the country. It's certainly true that a fair amount of the price we pay for petrol is for taxes :ranting: :ranting: and then to rub salt into the wounds even more a lot of those taxes we pay we see wasting in ridiculous projects, or go as benefits to the amount of foreign people coming into the country, or even back to their families at home(in other countries) :ranting:
Thats a great diagram of America and gives a real idea as to where prices are at it cheapest, compared to the high prices in some of the States.

I can say the same for the US, and make it a double, no tri... quintuple. :ranting:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2008, 02:18:44 AM »
Here's a German site that compares international prices fixed to the Euro (I'm assuming also that the prices are converted to liters as well).
France is at 1.36 Euro/lit
Finland is at 1.44 Euro/lit
US is at .61 Euro/lit
UK is at 1.25 Euro/lit

That's very interesting to see, France and Finland are paying even more than us right now- its just insane these prices in Europe!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2008, 02:19:45 AM »

I can say the same for the US, and make it a double, no tri... quintuple. :ranting:

At least that makes 2 of us that are disgusted and very angry with the number of foreign people coming into our homeland :ranting: many times over!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2008, 02:29:35 AM »

At least that makes 2 of us that are disgusted and very angry with the number of foreign people coming into our homeland :ranting: many times over!

I have no issue with foreign people coming the US. We have always been and aways will be made of people from all over the world. The problem we have now is some 12 billion illegal aliens who have crossed the borders and are working, or subsisting on whatever they can scrape together. This is mostly felt in the southwest along the Mexican border, but there are a number of them scattered throughout. Many of them pay taxes and contribute to the economy, but (from my experiecnes growing up and living in California) most of them don't. I used to be an assistant manager at a restaurant, and I know many of the legal Mexicans we had working for us either lied on their tax forms, or didn't pay taxes at all. They came in, worked a couple years, lived 5 or 10 to a house, seneding about 60%-70% of the money they earned home to Mexico, and then bolted to live on the cumulated wages. That's a tremendous drain on the economy.
That's just a small piece of the drain. I won't even go into the companies that have closed in the US and moved to either Mexico or China or somewhere to take advantage of cheap labor.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2008, 02:51:34 AM »

I have no issue with foreign people coming the US. We have always been and aways will be made of people from all over the world. The problem we have now is some 12 billion illegal aliens who have crossed the borders and are working, or subsisting on whatever they can scrape together. This is mostly felt in the southwest along the Mexican border, but there are a number of them scattered throughout. Many of them pay taxes and contribute to the economy, but (from my experiecnes growing up and living in California) most of them don't. I used to be an assistant manager at a restaurant, and I know many of the legal Mexicans we had working for us either lied on their tax forms, or didn't pay taxes at all. They came in, worked a couple years, lived 5 or 10 to a house, seneding about 60%-70% of the money they earned home to Mexico, and then bolted to live on the cumulated wages. That's a tremendous drain on the economy.
That's just a small piece of the drain. I won't even go into the companies that have closed in the US and moved to either Mexico or China or somewhere to take advantage of cheap labor.

That is exactly how it is over here but with us its with the Estern Europeans that are coming into the country and before them the Indians and Pakistani communities. I know that a lot of the Eastern Europeans coming in now(mainly Polish) are very hard workers, will work any hours going- but are getting good size benefits as well as their earnings and sending a good proportion of it back to Poland for their families. Thats not good at all for our economy, just as it isn't for you in America. They're able to claim the jobs as well as they don't mind if they're on the minimum wage- whereas many English people would complain and not be happy about that so instead Polish people for employers seems the best to take on. I've heard an awful lot about the Mexican problem in America and it particularly being the case in the South of the country.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2008, 07:29:21 PM »
Just filled up for $3.46.
Let's see, the last four times I've filled up have been for $3.06, $3.26, $3.37, and now $3.46.
There is serious talk that the price will go over $5 by the end of summer. I don't think it will go that high personally. I think it will approach, and maybe pass $4, but not $5.
I don't even want to think what the prices will be in Europe.  :(

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2008, 07:34:16 PM »
When 911 hit my wife's friend filled up for $5.00 per gallon.  Back then that seemed so high, now it seems within striking distance which sucks!  Will we ever see the $2.xx range again?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2008, 07:42:57 PM »
When 911 hit my wife's friend filled up for $5.00 per gallon.  Back then that seemed so high, now it seems within striking distance which sucks!  Will we ever see the $2.xx range again?

That was a panic situation, and a gas station taking advantage of that panic. That guy would be closed down if he tried that today. At least I think there are new laws against that kind of activity. I heard about that kind of thing happening that day, and got my self out of bed very early to fill up. But found the price hadn't budged.
I could have slept in.  ..-)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
Well our price jumped up over the weekend.  On Friday it was $4.32.  On Sunday it was $4.55.  It makes NO sense.... The gas that was already in the pumps were already paid for so why are they 'upping' the price of that gas? To make a profit!  That's why ExxonMobil had a surplus of a trillion/billion dollars last year! :mad1: