Author Topic: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?  (Read 91245 times)

Offline blurring

• New Poster
Re: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?
« Reply #300 on: May 23, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »
no, here in Lancaster, Ohio, it's $3.99 per gallon for the cheap stuff at the corner gas station.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2008, 12:38:40 AM »
no, here in Lancaster, Ohio, it's $3.99 per gallon for the cheap stuff at the corner gas station.

Welcome to the forums blurring  :) I hope you'll enjoy any time you spend here!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2008, 05:27:15 AM »

Hey Blurring, welcome to the forums!  Not sure if you have kept up with some of the other discussions here, but a good handful of us are in Columbus.  We have a tennis tourney this weekend in Lancaster.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #303 on: May 24, 2008, 10:55:23 PM »
I'm paying $3.95/gallon right now.  Haven't had to pay over $4 yet but its just a matter of time... :(
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #304 on: May 25, 2008, 08:37:44 AM »
Matter of time indeed.  It still amazes me that non-gasoline cars have not hit the road a long time ago.  If it was the gas companies buying them out and shutting them up, or something else, either way it is putting the screws to us know and raising costs of everything.  I think this is something we should have addressed a loooooooong time ago.
Scott Baker

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #305 on: May 27, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
I saw some stations in Orlando at $4.00/gallon! :scared:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #306 on: May 28, 2008, 12:40:05 AM »
Diesel in some areas has now hit a high of £6 per gallon so around $11.30, with some truckers now taking their protest down to London :ranting:

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #307 on: May 28, 2008, 12:43:44 AM »
Diesel in some areas has now hit a high of £6 per gallon so around $11.30, with some truckers now taking their protest down to London :ranting:

You should all take your protests to London. That $11.30 is eventually coming out of your pockets.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #308 on: May 28, 2008, 12:57:13 AM »

You should all take your protests to London. That $11.30 is eventually coming out of your pockets.

Yeah it definitely is coming out of our pockets :ranting: and thats just an absoltely insane amount for a bit of fuel. Its got to the stage where I'd honestly be in favour of a mass strike where almost EVERYBODY gets involved and there's a protest in each area.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #309 on: May 28, 2008, 12:58:50 AM »

Yeah it definitely is coming out of our pockets :ranting: and thats just an absoltely insane amount for a bit of fuel. Its got to the stage where I'd honestly be in favour of a mass strike where almost EVERYBODY gets involved and there's a protest in each area.

I'm thinking just a refusal to go anywhere. Get a nice stash of water, and canned goods in you home, and stay put. If enough people do that at one time for a week or so, I think the message will be heard.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #310 on: May 28, 2008, 01:10:19 AM »

I'm thinking just a refusal to go anywhere. Get a nice stash of water, and canned goods in you home, and stay put. If enough people do that at one time for a week or so, I think the message will be heard.

It really would work if it was properly organised and said nationally, as everybody is sick and cursing the fuel prices now and how they keep going up. Thats one of the main reasons why our curent Party in Government are losing support and areas extremely quickly and if a General Election was to be held today we'd have a new Party in control and one of the main reasons for that would be the fuel prices. I'd definitely be happy to stay in for a whole week with most of the country do likewise. No work would be amazing and the Government couldn't let that continue as there would be serious worries for the economy.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #311 on: May 28, 2008, 01:23:40 AM »
As if it were that easy. Blame it on the current party in office....  :rofl_2:
It's been coming for some time. It's not your current PM, or Bush, or even Clinton or Reagan before him. It's a long line of leaders who have turned a blind eye to this issue coming, and in some cases nudged it along faster.
We got a taste in the 1970's and did nothing about it. We complained, we adjusted, the prices stabilized and we went about our business. About the only adjustment was the introduction of small cars and the rise of the Japanese auto manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, Nissan/Dastun). But gradually we forgot about the '70s and started buying big gas guzzling SUVs and moving further and further from work. We forgot about the need for alternative fuels.
Scott asked why electric cars were not improved. He thought maybe the oil companies possible kept them down. There may have been some work on their part to keep electric cars from becoming popular, but the public made it possible. There was little to no demand, and no apparent profit in working on the idea, so it wasn't furthered. Electric cars have been around a long time, but recent advances in battery technology (rechargable litium ion battaries) have taken a car that would go maybe 50 miles on a charge to 200 miles on a charge. That's the sweet spot that has been needed to make it viable. But those cars are too new and too expensive for just anyone. Only the rich can afford them right now, and they are the ones who least need them. But hopefully they will become more common and less expensive as the manufacturing process is automated and the parts get cheaper. We may see full fledged electric cars being common in a decade or so.
The consumer will drive the demand, but we can't be flakey. We have to keep that demand consistant, even as things might stablize again, and fuel prices plateau, we have to continue the demand for alternative sources of power.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:24:12 AM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #312 on: May 28, 2008, 01:32:57 AM »
As if it were that easy. Blame it on the current party in office....  :rofl_2:
It's been coming for some time. It's not your current PM, or Bush, or even Clinton or Reagan before him. It's a long line of leaders who have turned a blind eye to this issue coming, and in some cases nudged it along faster.
We got a taste in the 1970's and did nothing about it. We complained, we adjusted, the prices stabilized and we went about our business. About the only adjustment was the introduction of small cars and the rise of the Japanese auto manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, Nissan/Dastun). But gradually we forgot about the '70s and started buying big gas guzzling SUVs and moving further and further from work. We forgot about the need for alternative fuels.
Scott asked why electric cars were not improved. He thought maybe the oil companies possible kept them down. There may have been some work on their part to keep electric cars from becoming popular, but the public made it possible. There was little to no demand, and no apparent profit in working on the idea, so it wasn't furthered. Electric cars have been around a long time, but recent advances in battery technology (rechargable litium ion battaries) have taken a car that would go maybe 50 miles on a charge to 200 miles on a charge. That's the sweet spot that has been needed to make it viable. But those cars are too new and too expensive for just anyone. Only the rich can afford them right now, and they are the ones who least need them. But hopefully they will become more common and less expensive as the manufacturing process is automated and the parts get cheaper. We may see full fledged electric cars being common in a decade or so.
The consumer will drive the demand, but we can't be flakey. We have to keep that demand consistant, even as things might stablize again, and fuel prices plateau, we have to continue the demand for alternative sources of power.

Very true all of what you're saying and from parts I know looking back and hearing about the 70s and 80s then I couldn't agree more. It has been a gradual rise in prices over those years and people upgrading their cars to more powerful and bigger cars has done nothing for the prices or the environment so its true that the problem stems back many years ago and right through many ex PM's and Parties. The electric cars really would be a huge aspect for a country- as if they could be developed and made at cheaper costs and put out at reasonable prices then so many people would look to buy one. It'd help them with their fuel costs and considerably help the envioronment as they want. However, I would say that the fuel prices have gone up dramatically the past 12 years or so- and that links into when this current Party got into power. They may have got unlucky in that the problem was there many years ago and waiting to develop and that it would have been the same case with any Government. But the people don't see it like that and/or look that deep into it, hence they see the price per gallon has gone up by maybe £2.50/ $4.60 is just the last 10-12 years and instantly look at the Governement on control and blame them. I do feel they could be doing more and taking some tax off petrol right now- as its at ridiculous times right now.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #313 on: May 28, 2008, 01:44:46 AM »
I don't know about the UK, but gas prices have not gone up dramtically over the last 12 years. They had been pretty stable, and slowely rising until 9/11. They started spiking a bit then over some of the unrest in the middle east, but really took off after 9/11. Hurricane Katrina didn't help matters much as where it touched down is where many of the refineries for the production of gas is located.
Gas prices here were around $1.70 a gallon on Sept 11, 2001. They are now just reaching $4.00. That is a direct reflection of the cost of a barrel of oil. That's something the government can have some effect on, but no control over. Many point to the profits of the oil companies and blame them. There is certainly some merit there. They are seeing record profits and we are paying record prices. But their profits are based on billions of of gallons of gas sold at pennies of profit. Volume, is where their profit is found.
This chart shows gas prices as compared to the rise in oil cost over the last 6 years. It doesn't take a genius to see what's driving this:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:48:51 PM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #314 on: May 28, 2008, 02:08:26 AM »
Some interesting data there Dmas, and it really does show the effect September 11th had on the fuel prices within America- it really has shot up and Katrina hasn't done anything to help it either. As you say the Government don't have complete control on it, but the effect they do have they need to be doing more than they are right now. Every single day now on the news and in newspapers its constant talk about rising fuel prices and the possibility of them continuing to go up. It's rose an awful lot over here the past 10-12 years but the real increase has come within the past 2 years or so, and during this time its just kept moving up and up and doesn't seem to be any chance of it stopping right now.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #315 on: May 28, 2008, 08:40:13 PM »
I saw it at $3.82 today, and after I paid $3.99 the other day, had I filled up today I probably would have felt like I hit the lottery.  How sad is that?
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #316 on: May 28, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
I saw it at $3.82 today, and after I paid $3.99 the other day, had I filled up today I probably would have felt like I hit the lottery.  How sad is that?

Not sad, and not surprising. You guys in Ohio are all over the map with your gas prices.  ..-)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #317 on: May 28, 2008, 09:36:11 PM »
$3.89 here today.  It dropped 6 cents since last week.
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #318 on: May 28, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »
In the $3.70's.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #319 on: May 30, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
Just the other day I hit $3.81 while all other stations were near $3.90 then later that day my station jumped to $3.91.