Author Topic: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?  (Read 92445 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?
« Reply #360 on: June 20, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »
True.  But that is going to take years unless we can pump it right into our cars and it works just peachy keen.  I fear what the cost of living is going to do in the next year or so.  I also have one of those jobs that thrives on people spending money.  We are only a 5-6 person firm.  I would be second to last to go but some of my best friends work with me and it would kill me to see us slow down to the point where we had to let people go.  Right now work is pouring in and we have been really blessed.  I hope it is a trend that continues.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #361 on: June 20, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »
Well, the homes have slowed down some but we have finally broken into the commercial market and that work is coming in nicely as well.  That makes a big difference!
Scott Baker

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #362 on: June 20, 2008, 10:09:41 PM »
Wifey filled up for $3.77 today.

Must be a little car to fill up for $3.77! :rofl_2:  She use your car Scott? :rofl_2:

:innocent:

Ummm...  Should I laugh at this?  :)

Yes!!!  That was me trying to pull a "Batman" and be funny!  Guess it didn't work! :rofl_2:  I'll leave the humor up to him from now on! :rofl_2:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #363 on: June 21, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
The U.S can technically produce enough food to feed the whole world. Yet we susidize farmers to NOT produce. We are nowhere near where we can potentially be. Brazil is entirely converted over to using ethanol. That's corn based isn't it? And I am not talking about cheap cars, I am talking about the likes of VolksWagen, Mercedes, BMW and such that produce cars for Brazil that run on ethanol.

If the U.S really wisened up, there'd be almost no hiccup in the transition. Greatest natural resources. financially still the strongest. leaders in research & devlopment. the smartest people around the globe come here to fulfill thier potential. What is it that the U.S is lacking? Nothing. Beside proper leadership that is.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #364 on: June 21, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »
The U.S can technically produce enough food to feed the whole world. Yet we susidize farmers to NOT produce. We are nowhere near where we can potentially be. Brazil is entirely converted over to using ethanol. That's corn based isn't it? And I am not talking about cheap cars, I am talking about the likes of VolksWagen, Mercedes, BMW and such that produce cars for Brazil that run on ethanol.

If the U.S really wisened up, there'd be almost no hiccup in the transition. Greatest natural resources. financially still the strongest. leaders in research & devlopment. the smartest people around the globe come here to fulfill thier potential. What is it that the U.S is lacking? Nothing. Beside proper leadership that is.

Ethanol isn't the answer. It doesn't burn clean, it's not as efficient (10% less cost, but 10% less miles per gallon), and it's making the price of corn get a bit out of control.
Electric cars, to me, are the answer, and have always been the answer. They are more efficient, more environmentally friendly, and quieter. The only drawback is the inability to travel long distances.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #365 on: June 22, 2008, 06:30:04 PM »

Ethanol isn't the answer. It doesn't burn clean, it's not as efficient (10% less cost, but 10% less miles per gallon), and it's making the price of corn get a bit out of control.
Electric cars, to me, are the answer, and have always been the answer. They are more efficient, more environmentally friendly, and quieter. The only drawback is the inability to travel long distances.

electricity isn't a renewable resource is it? Guess what the electric companies are burning to generate electricity. Coal. Coal is the cheapest fossil fuel. We have tons and tons of it, we can last another 2000 years just on coal. But its also the worst for the environment. Worse than burning petrol. I dunno.. Electricity is definitely good for now but it should only be a stepping stone. I didn't know ethanol was less efficient but at least corn can be grown over and over again.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #366 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:06 PM »

electricity isn't a renewable resource is it? Guess what the electric companies are burning to generate electricity. Coal. Coal is the cheapest fossil fuel. We have tons and tons of it, we can last another 2000 years just on coal. But its also the worst for the environment. Worse than burning petrol. I dunno.. Electricity is definitely good for now but it should only be a stepping stone. I didn't know ethanol was less efficient but at least corn can be grown over and over again.

Electricity can also be gained by solar power, and wind, and water. There are quite a few sources of electricity. I've pointed out an number of people who are buy Teslas are also adding solar pannels to their garage (if not the whole house), so they will not have to tap the house source for charging their car. They park it in the garage, plug it in, and go to bed. In the morning it's fully charged curtesy of the sun (via stored energy during the day).

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #367 on: June 22, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
I would love to be to a point where we could all do that.  Just plug it in and go go go.  We are a ways away from everyone having that kind of access.  Sadly.
Scott Baker

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #368 on: June 22, 2008, 09:57:59 PM »
I would love to be to a point where we could all do that.  Just plug it in and go go go.  We are a ways away from everyone having that kind of access.  Sadly.

But that illustrates the one big weakness of electric cars. You don't just plug in and go go go. You plug in, and wait 2 or 3 or whatever, hours, and then go for a couple hours, then plug in for a few hours...
A drive like the one I anticipate taking to Columbus would be a 2 or even 3 day trip instead of a day. I'd have to drive to Hartford, plug in and wait, drive to Wilkes Barre, plug in and wait, drive to somewhere near Pittsburg, or between Harrisburg and Columbus, and plug in and wait. Then finally make the last leg to Columbus and plug in.
Now I drive and fill. Filling takes a few minutes rather than a few hours. It's expensive, but quick.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #369 on: June 23, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »
They can find a way around that minor detail.  :)
Scott Baker

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #370 on: June 23, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »

Any suggestions? I consider myself pretty good at creative thinking, and getting around barriers (mostly where it concerns computers and technology). But I don't see an obvious way to get past that limitation.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #371 on: June 23, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »
For regular unleaded I saw 4.27.  :swoon:

My coworker filled up for $100 or so (25 gals).

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #372 on: June 23, 2008, 09:00:07 PM »

Any suggestions? I consider myself pretty good at creative thinking, and getting around barriers (mostly where it concerns computers and technology). But I don't see an obvious way to get past that limitation.

Just switch your used battery with a charged one. In time there will be stations that take the run down battery and give you a charged one, they plug in the run down one to charge it and sell it to the next guy who needs it. maybe they'll have hundreds of battery packs charging at one time.  ||-|

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #373 on: June 23, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »

Just switch your used battery with a charged one. In time there will be stations that take the run down battery and give you a charged one, they plug in the run down one to charge it and sell it to the next guy who needs it. maybe they'll have hundreds of battery packs charging at one time.  ||-|

I was going to say!!!  Shoot, just put an extra battery in the car.  Put 2 extra in the car under the hood. 
Scott Baker

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #374 on: June 23, 2008, 09:25:54 PM »

I was going to say!!!  Shoot, just put an extra battery in the car.  Put 2 extra in the car under the hood. 

Good solutions. I'd have to ask though, how big and heavy are the batteries. I mean how many watts does it take to run a laptop vs a car? I have a suspicion a battery for a car will be pretty good sized. Not easy to swap in and out like you suggest.
I hope I'm wrong and you are right though.  ://

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #375 on: June 24, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »

Good solutions. I'd have to ask though, how big and heavy are the batteries. I mean how many watts does it take to run a laptop vs a car? I have a suspicion a battery for a car will be pretty good sized. Not easy to swap in and out like you suggest.

Well, one battery would go where the alternator would have gone.  :)

I bet technology could come up with some decent sized batteries that could go a while.  Just don't turn on the radio.
Scott Baker

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #376 on: June 24, 2008, 03:10:16 PM »

Well, one battery would go where the alternator would have gone.  :)

I bet technology could come up with some decent sized batteries that could go a while.  Just don't turn on the radio.

Or the air conditioning, or the lights, and don't roll up or down the windows :\.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #377 on: June 24, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
This one is for you dmast!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XrzGpyCQE[/youtube]
Scott Baker

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #378 on: June 24, 2008, 09:18:17 PM »
This one is for you dmast!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XrzGpyCQE[/youtube]

I'll have to wait till i'm somewhere I can see it. All YouTube content is blocked here. But you've peeked my interest....  :drool:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »
Blocked at T4U or blocked for you?  I just watched it from work on T4U...
Scott Baker