Author Topic: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?  (Read 86943 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?
« Reply #660 on: November 09, 2008, 04:14:56 PM »
Here's a quick poll question for you guys. Would you like the price to stay between $2.50 - $3.00 (this is like Ohio/new Jersey price ranges, I guess Swish and Dmast and in general just add 50-100 cents from your current average) with the guarantee that it'll stay that way until March 2010 or would you rather see this price go down, maybe even as low as the $1.20 but with no security whatsoever that it'lll be back at 5.00 in the next few months.

Ugh, good question.  I would rather see the $2.50 - $3.00...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #661 on: November 09, 2008, 04:25:32 PM »
Here's a quick poll question for you guys. Would you like the price to stay between $2.50 - $3.00 (this is like Ohio/new Jersey price ranges, I guess Swish and Dmast and in general just add 50-100 cents from your current average) with the guarantee that it'll stay that way until March 2010 or would you rather see this price go down, maybe even as low as the $1.20 but with no security whatsoever that it'lll be back at 5.00 in the next few months.

Are you suggesting the governement set the price at $2.50 - $3.00. I think the oil companies would snap that up in a heart beat. That would lock in massive profits for them.
I say let market forces rule. But I also think oil should not be a tradable commodity. Speculation on oil is part of what caused the price to jump like it did.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #662 on: November 09, 2008, 04:49:03 PM »

Are you suggesting the governement set the price at $2.50 - $3.00. I think the oil companies would snap that up in a heart beat. That would lock in massive profits for them.
I say let market forces rule. But I also think oil should not be a tradable commodity. Speculation on oil is part of what caused the price to jump like it did.

you mean the blown up prices up until now were real? I admit I don't know much about this nor have I looked but I am sure whoever it is that sets the prices had it in thier power (wether it be government or competitively) to offer this price all through. And whats more - they don't' even need to bring it down this low. They can keep it at $4.00 and still gain high profits. Afterall, who actually stopped driving or did anything to compensate for the high prices? I am sure all people did was complain, because at most the difference between $1 and $4 for an average american driving 12000 miles/ year at 20mpg is roughly $150 dollars more. The companies could stop the price at $2.50 or $3.00 right now - most people would be happy with the $50-75 they are 'saving' per month over the $4 price and live happily ever after.

They are going to increase the price again for sure, they have to. Where's the capital to switch from oil based autos to alternate fuel come from? If indeed we are seeing the last decade or so of oil dominance, they will make the most of it.

That's all I can gather from just thinking about it. Is there anything that I have missed? I would much rather see the price stagnate at $3 for the coming few years than have what we had in the last few, going from $1 to $5.. Isn't that too much of a fluctuation for an average fixed income lifestyle?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #663 on: November 09, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »

you mean the blown up prices up until now were real? I admit I don't know much about this nor have I looked but I am sure whoever it is that sets the prices had it in thier power (wether it be government or competitively) to offer this price all through. And whats more - they don't' even need to bring it down this low. They can keep it at $4.00 and still gain high profits. Afterall, who actually stopped driving or did anything to compensate for the high prices? I am sure all people did was complain, because at most the difference between $1 and $4 for an average american driving 12000 miles/ year at 20mpg is roughly $150 dollars more. The companies could stop the price at $2.50 or $3.00 right now - most people would be happy with the $50-75 they are 'saving' per month over the $4 price and live happily ever after.

They are going to increase the price again for sure, they have to. Where's the capital to switch from oil based autos to alternate fuel come from? If indeed we are seeing the last decade or so of oil dominance, they will make the most of it.

That's all I can gather from just thinking about it. Is there anything that I have missed? I would much rather see the price stagnate at $3 for the coming few years than have what we had in the last few, going from $1 to $5.. Isn't that too much of a fluctuation for an average fixed income lifestyle?

I have to disagree with your point that nobody stopped driving. Well they didn't stop driving, but many changed their driving habits, and lots of concessions were being made to the rising cost of gas. My company started more car pools from some areas. There are now two reserved parking spots for people who car pool.
Many cancelled vacations, or curtailed driving. In bigger cities more poeple started using public transportation, and/or bicycles.
GM sped up production on the Volt, their electric car, and other electric cars are in the works.
These are all signs that if the oil companies didn't start taking steps to reduce the cost of gas, ther were going to price themselves out of business.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #664 on: November 10, 2008, 10:30:05 AM »
$1.84!    :cool:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #665 on: November 10, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #666 on: November 10, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #667 on: November 10, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »
I saw gas around the $2.59 mark in the D.C. area, where here in Dallas, I've seen $1.89.   I filled up at $1.97 near my house.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #668 on: November 11, 2008, 07:08:15 AM »
Believe me I've considered how that one would work out and how much you could save doing that  :rofl_2:

Get yourself a G-Wiz or a Toyota Prius  :)~ You'd be late for everything, but you'd live cheaper  :whistle:

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #669 on: November 11, 2008, 07:09:42 AM »
I payed $2.07 yesterday....not bad!
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #670 on: November 11, 2008, 07:15:25 AM »

Foiled again!

It gets better!   Wifey saw $1.77 near our house!   :)    This gas station near our house has been lower since we have been noticing..........this is a good sign so I am hoping it will always be cheaper than most places. 

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #671 on: November 11, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »
I bought my wheels on 10/31, filled it up, parked it and haven't moved it since. But they'll be street cleaning on Thursday, so I'll have to move it across the street  :)
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #672 on: November 11, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
I bought my wheels on 10/31, filled it up, parked it and haven't moved it since. But they'll be street cleaning on Thursday, so I'll have to move it across the street  :)

Did you just get the car for your new job situation/schooling?

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #673 on: November 11, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »

Did you just get the car for your new job situation/schooling?

Yeah, I'm trying to get some PT work on the weekends, and I'll be all over the place. I've never needed a car because I've worked downtown the entire time I've lived in Chicago.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #674 on: November 11, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »
Believe me I've considered how that one would work out and how much you could save doing that  :rofl_2:

Get yourself a G-Wiz or a Toyota Prius  :)~ You'd be late for everything, but you'd live cheaper  :whistle:

:rofl_2:  :rofl_2: I could always set off a couple of hours earlier  :rofl_2:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #675 on: November 11, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »

Foiled again!

It gets better!   Wifey saw $1.77 near our house!   :)    This gas station near our house has been lower since we have been noticing..........this is a good sign so I am hoping it will always be cheaper than most places. 

If its gets much cheaper then you can expect to see signs up at all the Stations saying
''Come get your free gas''  :rofl_2:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #676 on: November 11, 2008, 02:16:19 PM »

Foiled again!

If its gets much cheaper then you can expect to see signs up at all the Stations saying
''Come get your free gas''  :rofl_2:

Sounds fine to me!   ;-() :rofl_2:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #677 on: November 13, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »

Foiled again!

$1.71!          It couldn't possibly go below $1.50 could it? 

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #678 on: November 13, 2008, 10:55:33 PM »

Foiled again!

Wow, $1.71!  That's great.  I have only seen $1.83

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #679 on: November 14, 2008, 07:14:27 AM »

Foiled again!

Wow, $1.71!  That's great.  I have only seen $1.83

We're still paying $2+. But it shouldn't be too long before we are under.

An ambition fulfilled