Author Topic: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?  (Read 92753 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Gas prices??? What are you paying at the pump?
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2008, 06:43:59 PM »
$3.47 eh?  UGH!  I am going to learn to fly (without a plane of course!) and just cut out these gas prices all together...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
$3.36. Man it's shooting up. It's the summertime gas blues.  :(

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2008, 09:59:56 PM »
Of course there's always someone else who feels the pain more; Last three months' gas price chart (Columbus, Oh, Boston, Ma & California).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:01:13 PM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2008, 10:20:56 PM »
Chart for Dallas, New Orleans and New York City;

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2008, 12:28:55 AM »
Nice charts Dmas! 2 things from those really is firstly the aspect we discussed a while back with regards to California being so much more expensive than other States/cities- but more alarming still is how much those prices for all the places have gone up in less than 3 months! Those charts started 24th January and some of the prices have rose by so much and so dramatically in such a short amount of time!!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2008, 12:57:58 AM »
Nice charts Dmas! 2 things from those really is firstly the aspect we discussed a while back with regards to California being so much more expensive than other States/cities- but more alarming still is how much those prices for all the places have gone up in less than 3 months! Those charts started 24th January and some of the prices have rose by so much and so dramatically in such a short amount of time!!

The really scary thing to realize here is higher prices at the pump equal higher prices for everything. I don't know what 20% jump in gas price will result in price-wise for everything else. But I know it will have an effect, and has had an effect over the past year or so.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2008, 01:21:26 AM »

The really scary thing to realize here is higher prices at the pump equal higher prices for everything. I don't know what 20% jump in gas price will result in price-wise for everything else. But I know it will have an effect, and has had an effect over the past year or so.

That's one awful thing to consider then- the fact that as a result of gas going up, within 3 months the whole cost of living has gone up! And if everything's going up like the fuel prices- so around 20%, maybe a little less for other things- then thats a hell of a lot of extra money you're having to spend each month! I just can't get over the fact your gas has rose so dramatically in just 3 months- its insane!!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2008, 01:49:44 AM »

That's one awful thing to consider then- the fact that as a result of gas going up, within 3 months the whole cost of living has gone up! And if everything's going up like the fuel prices- so around 20%, maybe a little less for other things- then thats a hell of a lot of extra money you're having to spend each month! I just can't get over the fact your gas has rose so dramatically in just 3 months- its insane!!

I doubt the cost of living will go up 20%. It doesn't work that way. I don't know the ratio, but I'm sure there are economists who do. I'd guess a 20% jump in fuel would relate more to a 5% in jump in cost of living. But that's a pure guess. 5% is still a considerable jump when you think that they try to keep annual inflation to around 4% or 5%. If we have a 5% increase in 3 months, and fuel costs continue to raise we could be looking a cost of living increase of 10% or more for the year. That hasn't happened in almost 30 years (interestingly enough it happened then for many of the same reasons, fuel costs jumping, and out of control govt spending).
Of course the pessimists are predicting hyperinflation similar to what Brazil and Argentina went through in the 1990's. I hope that doesn't happen, and for some reason, don't think it will. But it's a scary thought to think that, if we do see a cycle of hyperinflation, $100 may be the equal to $10 in just a couple years.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:51:51 AM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2008, 06:40:12 AM »
Gas went up to $ 3.55 for me yesterday.   :scared:
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2008, 06:44:14 AM »
Prices went up here again yesterday so we're now at around 107p per litre, so converted we're looking at about $7.90 per gallon  :mad1: :ranting:

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
Prices went up here again yesterday so we're now at around 107p per litre, so converted we're looking at about $7.90 per gallon  :mad1: :ranting:

Looking at that, it's madness. Around us I've seen it priced at up to 117p per litre, what does that convert as? Those guys have it so cheap!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2008, 12:01:11 PM »

Looking at that, it's madness. Around us I've seen it priced at up to 117p per litre, what does that convert as? Those guys have it so cheap!!!

117p- its just absolutely insane- was that for diesal though? as thats more expensive right now than unleaded. That would work out at about $8.50 per gallon  :scared:

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »

117p- its just absolutely insane- was that for diesal though? as thats more expensive right now than unleaded. That would work out at about $8.50 per gallon  :scared:

Not sure if it's diesel or unleaded, think it is probably diesel.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »

Not sure if it's diesel or unleaded, think it is probably diesel.

Yeah diesal sounds about right, that is about the average price for that now- thats pocketed up even more than unleaded  :scared:

Offline alchemist

• Tennis God
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »
Diesel, where I live, is around $4.15/gallon so I guess thats around 2.1 british pounds/gallon.  The increased cost of transportation makes the cost of everything else such as food go up too.  Unfortunately, it seems like we're going to be stuck in this situation for the next couple of months atleast.   :( 
"We've been stuck in a locker room for nine hours a day and he's been chilling out, maybe taking the double decker bus tour of London."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2008, 12:43:58 AM »
Diesel, where I live, is around $4.15/gallon so I guess thats around 2.1 british pounds/gallon.  The increased cost of transportation makes the cost of everything else such as food go up too.  Unfortunately, it seems like we're going to be stuck in this situation for the next couple of months atleast.   :( 

Yesh seems Diesel is much more expensive as well in America then, one thing though that I would say is that I so wish we were paying £2.10 for any fuel other here. That would be absolutely fantastic and cut our fuel bills down by around 54%.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2008, 01:00:41 AM »

Yesh seems Diesel is much more expensive as well in America then, one thing though that I would say is that I so wish we were paying £2.10 for any fuel other here. That would be absolutely fantastic and cut our fuel bills down by around 54%.

It's funny becasue Diesel used to cost lower than regular unleaded fuel. It was a big selling point for Diesel VWs and Mercedes Bens back in the day.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »

It's funny becasue Diesel used to cost lower than regular unleaded fuel. It was a big selling point for Diesel VWs and Mercedes Bens back in the day.

Yeah I heard that was always the cheaper fuel and a reason to get a diesel car for some people, I even remember 8-10 years ago when that was still a few 'pence' cheaper than unleaded- but suddenly its completely turned around and is much more expensive.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2008, 02:35:06 AM »

Yeah I heard that was always the cheaper fuel and a reason to get a diesel car for some people, I even remember 8-10 years ago when that was still a few 'pence' cheaper than unleaded- but suddenly its completely turned around and is much more expensive.

I've been a bit curious why, but haven't researched it. One thing that pops into my mind is that recently I've been noticing notes on the pump that state the gas is 10% ethanol by volume. I don't know if that's only happened recently, or if it's always been that way, but ethanol is cheaper than regular gas, but I'd guess it isn't present in diesel. So the addition of ethanol has made regular gas a bit cheaper by comparison.
Any gas station owners in this forum?  :uhm:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:25 AM »

I've been a bit curious why, but haven't researched it. One thing that pops into my mind is that recently I've been noticing notes on the pump that state the gas is 10% ethanol by volume. I don't know if that's only happened recently, or if it's always been that way, but ethanol is cheaper than regular gas, but I'd guess it isn't present in diesel. So the addition of ethanol has made regular gas a bit cheaper by comparison.
Any gas station owners in this forum?  :uhm:

Yes its very strange how the price of that has gone from being below unleaded to more expensive than it within a decade or so. Interesting to know the reasons behind this and whether or not ethanol has got anything to do with it or not :dunno: for it to have just jumped so dramatically above the normal unleaded one of the things in it must have really risen dramatically in recent years- or that there is less of it around or harder for the gas stations to get hold of. A gas station owner around here would be ideal, but don't think we'll get our wish  :)