Poll

Do you play Racquetball?

YES
4 (40%)
NO
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 27, 2007, 08:26:53 PM

Author Topic: Racquet ball?  (Read 5232 times)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Racquet ball?
« on: May 27, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »
I know most of the guys on this forum play Tennis. But, out of curiosity, does anybody play racquet ball???

I play more racqet ball than tennis during winter. In summer and Fall I play more Tennis though.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Racquet ball?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:31:09 PM »
I have played only a few times before.  I played some guys who had said he was pretty good and played a ton.  I was in college at the time, as was he.  He won the first game and then I started to get my barrings.  I won the rest of the games we played that day.  I am not bad at it, once you start to figure out where the ball is going I think a lot of tennis players could do pretty well with it.  I have heard that it is not good for your tennis game though, I can see it in the strokes too.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Racquet ball?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »
I agree, it does mess up your tennis swing. On the other hand, it doesnt require as much skill and control as tennis needs.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Racquet ball?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:19:41 AM »
I've never heard of it over here in Britain. I heard it mentioned on Friends and other places, but I do not know how it is played.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Racquet ball?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:23:07 AM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"
I've never heard of it over here in Britain. I heard it mentioned on Friends and other places, but I do not know how it is played.

I think it is similar to Squash  played in Europe.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Racquet ball?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 06:46:22 AM »
Quote from: "tennisfan78"

I think it is similar to Squash  played in Europe.

Ahh, thanks

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Racquet ball?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 06:56:10 AM »

It is indeed similar to squash. But the racquet is shorter and you use all the walls except the floor. You play in a box, you can use the roof, the back wall, the sides, but eventually it has to reach the far wall before it bounces on the floor. The ball is made of very light very bouncy rubber. Very fast paced, fast moving game that favors Scooter like people not taller people.
I don't play because of the stroke normaly used. It would be described as a squash shot. Very wristy carving shots on both sides. If you have a clean shot to the front wall, the best shot is a low slice about 6 inches off the floor in a corner.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Racquet ball?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:07:40 AM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

It is indeed similar to squash. But the racquet is shorter and you use all the walls except the floor. You play in a box, you can use the roof, the back wall, the sides, but eventually it has to reach the far wall before it bounces on the floor. The ball is made of very light very bouncy rubber. Very fast paced, fast moving game that favors Scooter like people not taller people.
I don't play because of the stroke normaly used. It would be described as a squash shot. Very wristy carving shots on both sides. If you have a clean shot to the front wall, the best shot is a low slice about 6 inches off the floor in a corner.

Thats a good description of the game dmastous. That sums it up pretty well. Sounds like you have played it at some point before.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Racquet ball?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 10:02:22 AM »

Thats a good description of the game dmastous. That sums it up pretty well. Sounds like you have played it at some point before.

I've only tried it a couple times, but I knew some big time racquet ballers in the past. They like to compare the speed the game is played at with tennis. I tell them yes, you can hit the ball hard, but you don't have to keep it over a net and in the court. You can just flail with abandon.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Racquet ball?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »
I played some (20-30 times) back in roughly my College days.  It was fun for me!   I played against some people that really showed me how the game was supposed to be played by kicking my azz!   The people that are really good at it are amazing as they can consistently hit the ball low on the wall so the ball doesn't bounce at all.  Very tough to beat people with that kind of control and experience.   I don't know that I have met a sport that I didn't like!?   ;-()

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Racquet ball?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
I played some (20-30 times) back in roughly my College days.  It was fun for me!   I played against some people that really showed me how the game was supposed to be played by kicking my azz!   The people that are really good at it are amazing as they can consistently hit the ball low on the wall so the ball doesn't bounce at all.  Very tough to beat people with that kind of control and experience.   I don't know that I have met a sport that I didn't like!?   ;-()

That's where we tall types have a huge disadvantage over the little people. And besides the whole screws up your stroke excuse that's another reason why I don't bother with racquetball. I don't even like stringing some of the crazy through the handle racquets, or the Ektelon Power Rings. What a nightmare!

An ambition fulfilled

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Racquet ball?
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 07:09:53 PM »

I know what you are saying. I know a few people who can play this game unbelievably well and it really amazes me what they can do out there.

I don't know that I have met a sport that I didn't like!?

The above statement truly applies to me as well :)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Racquet ball?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 07:16:34 PM »

I know what you are saying. I know a few people who can play this game unbelievably well and it really amazes me what they can do out there.

I don't know that I have met a sport that I didn't like!?

The above statement truly applies to me as well :)

Shoot, I played some Cornhole this weekend with real scoring and actually liked it a lot.  I was pretty good at it as it is similar to Jarts or Bocce!  I love all those games!   ;-()

Offline mzomkowski

• New Poster
Re: Racquet ball?
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 07:40:05 AM »
I play weekely in the Atlanta area-  we have a lunch group that plays-  very intense competition........

MZ

I know most of the guys on this forum play Tennis. But, out of curiosity, does anybody play racquet ball???

I play more racqet ball than tennis during winter. In summer and Fall I play more Tennis though.
Mike Zomkowski

mzomkowski@excite.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »
Quote from: "mzomkowski"
I play weekely in the Atlanta area-  we have a lunch group that plays-  very intense competition........

MZ

My brother lived in Alpharetta for 2-3 years until recently.   From him, I learned that the Atlanta area has some sweet tennis...........ALTA!   Good stuff!  BTW, Welcome!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »

MZ

My brother lived in Alpharetta for 2-3 years until recently.   From him, I learned that the Atlanta area has some sweet tennis...........ALTA!   Good stuff!  BTW, Welcome!

A friend of mine strings in the Atlanta area. He says tennis is growing very rapidly. I want to say he told me Atlanta has the largest number of tennis courts of any city in the US. Hard to believe with Los Angeles being a pretty big tennis area, but that's what he said. Maybe it's courts per person or somthing like that.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 09:44:21 AM »

MZ

A friend of mine strings in the Atlanta area. He says tennis is growing very rapidly. I want to say he told me Atlanta has the largest number of tennis courts of any city in the US. Hard to believe with Los Angeles being a pretty big tennis area, but that's what he said. Maybe it's courts per person or somthing like that.

I don't know specifically but the ALTA thing is like USTA or something.............it is huge, at least in that area!

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 12:46:47 PM »

I don't know specifically but the ALTA thing is like USTA or something.............it is huge, at least in that area!

I've heard for a number of years that Atlanta is the weekend-warrior tennis capitol of the US.  Either it's true or it's a gigantic conspiracy :)

I played racquetball as early as 4th or 5th grade, and really enjoyed it.  Never or a regular basis, though.  The last time I played, I think, was in college, or maybe a couple times right after college.  It wreaked havoc on my strokes so there really wasn't much question that I was going to hang it up.  It always seemed fun though.  In fact (not suprisingly I suppose), I've always taken a liking to just about any racquet sport - badminton was another of my favorites.

Greg
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 09:38:34 PM »

MZ

Welcome to Tennis4you MZ. So, I take it that you must be pretty good at racquet ball?

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Racquet ball?
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 06:52:52 AM »
I've played a fair bit of squash during the winter, because you don't have to rely on weather, unlike in tennis, but never racketball. If I wanted to play it, I wouldn't know where the nearest court is.