Poll

Who will win a slam next, other than Federer or Nadal?

Roddick
1 (7.7%)
Djokovic
11 (84.6%)
Murray
0 (0%)
Gonzalez
0 (0%)
Davydenko
1 (7.7%)
Other (Please State)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 31, 2007, 03:29:26 PM

Author Topic: Who will win a slam next, other than Federer or Nadal?  (Read 9409 times)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
These two dominate the game at the moment, but who will break the stranglehold?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:47:48 PM »
Hey! I'm a majority of one!  :H
Why didn't you vote in your own poll KS?

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »
This is impossible, so lets guess Ivo to ruin Fed's Calender Slam at the greens of Wimbledon....................this year!?   ||-|

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
Hey! I'm a majority of one!  :H
Why didn't you vote in your own poll KS?

I've voted now, we're a majority of 2!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:11:16 PM »
3-0 for Djokovic.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 04:12:33 PM »
I'm sure murrayfan and blackgirl will disagree. Are there any big Davydenko or Gonzalez fans on here?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »
Quote from: "kickserve"
I'm sure murrayfan and blackgirl will disagree. Are there any big Davydenko or Gonzalez fans on here?

I am not a Davy or Gonzo fan per se.  Although Gonzo really impressed me with his game at the AO, I like how he has more options as opposed to just killing every ball.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"

I am not a Davy or Gonzo fan per se.  Although Gonzo really impressed me with his game at the AO, I like how he has more options as opposed to just killing every ball.

Yeah, but he gets killed in the finals.  :thumb-down:
As for Davydenko, he's just a high quality road runner who, like Wilander before him will have to have a few players fall apart before he can win one.  That or retool like Mats did in '88.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 04:55:40 PM »
Yeah. I just picked for the hottest streak player now, Djokovic. Davydenko and Gonzo need a break to breakthrough, Djokovic and Murray are actually at a point to create thier own breakthrough. Djokovic I said only because he actually has a win over Nadal ( Ok I know Murray has a win over Federer last year but I don't think too much of that - he went on to lose next round or something so clearly he wasn't Federer beater material. Djokovic has had a good year and has continued so far so you know, USO or next AO or even Wimbledon he might have some good runs - not to mentin the higher seeding will help him.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
Yeah. I just picked for the hottest streak player now, Djokovic. Davydenko and Gonzo need a break to breakthrough, Djokovic and Murray are actually at a point to create thier own breakthrough. Djokovic I said only because he actually has a win over Nadal ( Ok I know Murray has a win over Federer last year but I don't think too much of that - he went on to lose next round or something so clearly he wasn't Federer beater material. Djokovic has had a good year and has continued so far so you know, USO or next AO or even Wimbledon he might have some good runs - not to mentin the higher seeding will help him.

Djokovic has something the Murray and the others lack. Quite possibly the most important thing aside from practicing, and being fit.
Confidence in his game. He has the weight of continued success that the others haven't been able to build up.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "pawan89"

Djokovic has something the Murray and the others lack. Quite possibly the most important thing aside from practicing, and being fit.
Confidence in his game. He has the weight of continued success that the others haven't been able to build up.

On Murray i think we should wait a bit,first lets see if he can keep his fitness right.If he can do this,he will have a has great chance.As said he has beat Roger.Djokovic i think is a big danger to the big 2 with a win over Nadal.
sid :)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 05:37:36 PM »
I voted Djoko, I can't be bothered explaining why though
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 04:52:14 AM »
Quote from: "Alison2006"
I voted Djoko, I can't be bothered explaining why though

I guess for the same reasons sveryone else has picked Djokovic.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 05:57:43 AM »

You're actually wrong there kickserve... I really hope that it's Murray, and I feel that he can win a slam soon, but I think that Djokovic has the potential to do it first...

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 06:26:06 AM »
murrayfan! I was relying on you to make it more interesting :)~

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 06:27:41 AM »
murrayfan! I was relying on you to make it more interesting :)~

I deided I'd better go for my honest opinion, instead of what I really hope. I think Murray will definitely win one soon, but not the person to break the Fed/Nadal streak. I hope sid can vote for Murray. Murray all the way though!!!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 06:30:25 AM »
Nope, I think sid already voted Djokovic (above). Maybe Victor will have some Dutch pride and go with Haase or de Bakker. Some of you Americans should say Roddick though. Make it close!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 06:32:21 AM »
Nope, I think sid already voted Djokovic (above). Maybe Victor will have some Dutch pride and go with Haase or de Bakker. Some of you Americans should say Roddick though. Make it close!

Victor saying one of those two, I think will never happen... And not all Americans support Roddick

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 03:13:17 PM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"

Victor saying one of those two, I think will never happen... And not all Americans support Roddick

Just hoping for somebody to make the poll a bit closer, I know, clutching at straws.

Can anybody see the likes of Hewitt, Safin or Ferrero challenging for honours again?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 03:31:14 PM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"

Just hoping for somebody to make the poll a bit closer, I know, clutching at straws.

Can anybody see the likes of Hewitt, Safin or Ferrero challenging for honours again?

If Safin can get his act together mentally, and he does so before he wastes his prodigeous talent, he's definitly a threat. Hewitt? I doubt it, Ferrero same.
As for American support of Roddick, I think American nationalism doesn't translate to supporting it's sportsmen and women as much as it seems to with other countries. There are huge Roddick fans in the US, don't get me wrong, and they support him because he's American. But many see a brash bull in a china shop with a big forehand, big serve, and not so big brain. He's smart, just not tennis smart.
Or maybe it's just that most American sports fans (real nutty fantatical types) could care less about tennis. They want to watch football, baseball and basketball. So what's left are more grounded types who don't go for nationalistic hype.

An ambition fulfilled