Poll

Who will win a slam next, other than Federer or Nadal?

Roddick
1 (7.7%)
Djokovic
11 (84.6%)
Murray
0 (0%)
Gonzalez
0 (0%)
Davydenko
1 (7.7%)
Other (Please State)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 31, 2007, 03:29:26 PM

Author Topic: Who will win a slam next, other than Federer or Nadal?  (Read 9767 times)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 03:36:27 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "kickserve"
Quote from: "murrayfan11"
Nope, I think sid already voted Djokovic (above). Maybe Victor will have some Dutch pride and go with Haase or de Bakker. Some of you Americans should say Roddick though. Make it close!

Victor saying one of those two, I think will never happen... And not all Americans support Roddick

Just hoping for somebody to make the poll a bit closer, I know, clutching at straws.

Can anybody see the likes of Hewitt, Safin or Ferrero challenging for honours again?

If Safin can get his act together mentally, and he does so before he wastes his prodigeous talent, he's definitly a threat. Hewitt? I doubt it, Ferrero same.
As for American support of Roddick, I think American nationalism doesn't translate to supporting it's sportsmen and women as much as it seems to with other countries. There are huge Roddick fans in the US, don't get me wrong, and they support him because he's American. But many see a brash bull in a china shop with a big forehand, big serve, and not so big brain. He's smart, just not tennis smart.
Or maybe it's just that most American sports fans (real nutty fantatical types) could care less about tennis. They want to watch football, baseball and basketball. So what's left are more grounded types who don't go for nationalistic hype.

I guess that's the same in England to a certain extent: there are far more fanatical football (soccer) and rugby fans than tennis fans. Many tennis fans dislike Murray because of his personality (a bit grumpy, whining sometimes) or his Scottish patriotism (e.g. anti-english comments) but there are footballers who have stood trial for rape but the fans still love them, because they are fanatics. tennis fans support who they like, football fans support a team/country, and therefore their players, blindly.

I'm not having a go at Murray, just saying how some people see him.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 04:11:03 PM »

Many tennis fans dislike Murray because of his personality (a bit grumpy, whining sometimes)

a bit? :lmao:  :uh:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 04:19:13 PM »

Many tennis fans dislike Murray because of his personality (a bit grumpy, whining sometimes)

Fair point.

Also, a lot of tennis fans in this country are the upper-middle classes who go to Wimbledon in their stupid hats to eat strawberries and cream - they don't like him swearing at umpires and his coach* or coming on court wearing an iPod.

*Although it was apparently OK when Rusedski did it at Wimbledon against Roddick :)~ can anybody find a video of that? It was hilarious.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 04:25:04 PM »

Fair point.

Also, a lot of tennis fans in this country are the upper-middle classes who go to Wimbledon in their stupid hats to eat strawberries and cream - they don't like him swearing at umpires and his coach* or coming on court wearing an iPod.

I watched him play live at Newport and drove him back to his hotel (with his brother and agent after a doubles match) and I thought he was going to throttle himself with his racquet while he was playing.
It was a different story while driving him to his hotel. But he had just gotten done whipping up on Peter Kendrick 0-0. He was pretty satisfied at that time.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
Blame it on teenage mood-swings. Did you get his autograph?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Well, I guess I'm like all the others since I voted for Djokovic too... but I don't think it will be this year. (Hopefully it won't be next year either!).  I still want Roger dominating the slams for a little while longer...

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 05:35:49 PM »
Quote from: "Dallas"
Well, I guess I'm like all the others since I voted for Djokovic too... but I don't think it will be this year. (Hopefully it won't be next year either!).  I still want Roger dominating the slams for a little while longer...

You'll probably get your wish, Djoko doesn't seem ready to challenge Federer on hard courts and nobody can get close on grass. Even this year, he's 50-50 to win RG, in my book and 80% to win Wimbledon and US Open.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2007, 06:47:51 PM »

Fair point.

*Although it was apparently OK when Rusedski did it at Wimbledon against Roddick :)~ can anybody find a video of that? It was hilarious.

"a lot of tennis fans in this country are the upper-middle classes who go to Wimbledon in their stupid hats to eat strawberries and cream" Yep I can't stand these ****ing people  :ranting:  A complete waste of space...get rid of them ..useless people

"
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2007, 06:53:10 PM »
Quote from: "Alison2006"

Fair point.

"a lot of tennis fans in this country are the upper-middle classes who go to Wimbledon in their stupid hats to eat strawberries and cream" Yep I can't stand these ****ing people  :ranting:  A complete waste of space...get rid of them ..useless people

"

Hey Alison...no really...let us know your true feelings for these folks! :laugh-bounce:

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »

Fair point.

"

Hey Alison...no really...let us know your true feelings for these folks! :laugh-bounce:

lol, really I can't stand them, they make my blood boil, I hope none of them posh folks go missing this year, I guess I will be prime suspect... ;-()  Serious now I cannot stand them and them at Ascot with the Pathetic Hats.........Lets not go there  :Boxing:

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2007, 08:56:36 PM »
If Safin can get his act together mentally, and he does so before he wastes his prodigeous talent, he's definitly a threat.

Stick a fork in Safin, he is done.

Hewitt? I doubt it,

I doubt it too, but more chance of it then Safin.

Ferrero same.

The fork was stuck in Ferrero a long time ago.

As for American support of Roddick, I think American nationalism doesn't translate to supporting it's sportsmen and women as much as it seems to with other countries. There are huge Roddick fans in the US, don't get me wrong, and they support him because he's American. But many see a brash bull in a china shop with a big forehand, big serve, and not so big brain. He's smart, just not tennis smart.

Oddly enough I root against him partialy due to the annoying hype level from the American media, which being Canadian I am subjected a fair amount to.   He still has the best chance of all these players of winning another slam before he retires though.

I already told you I dont think his forehand is anywhere near as great as it was in 2003-2004 and he has changed it to this spinny funky shot instead of the powerhouse shot it used to be, however you seem to disagree with me on that.   I agree he is not tennis smart though.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2007, 09:25:33 PM »
Quote from: "kittens25"

I already told you I dont think his forehand is anywhere near as great as it was in 2003-2004 and he has changed it to this spinny funky shot instead of the powerhouse shot it used to be, however you seem to disagree with me on that.   I agree he is not tennis smart though.

Or maybe his forehand isn't as far above the rest as it used to be. Like Agassi when he showed up with a cannon of a forehand (made big hitters like Lendl look pedestrian). Within a couple years everyone else was hitting just as hard as he was. Or Jimmy Arias when he arrived on scene. He was a forehand and nothing else. After a year getting to top 10, he dissapeared.
Maybe Roddick's not worse, just figured out.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2007, 03:13:41 AM »

Fair point.

"

lol, really I can't stand them, they make my blood boil, I hope none of them posh folks go missing this year, I guess I will be prime suspect... ;-()  Serious now I cannot stand them and them at Ascot with the Pathetic Hats.........Lets not go there  :Boxing:

Alison, would I be right if I took a wild guess that you vote Labour at every election?

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 06:20:02 PM »

Fair point.

"

Alison, would I be right if I took a wild guess that you vote Labour at every election?

Don't mean to be rude, but it's none of your business who I vote for

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 02:44:28 AM »
Fair enough, not rude at all.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »
murrayfan! I was relying on you to make it more interesting :)~

I tried to make it interesting by saying Dr. Ivo and I didn't even get the slightest comment or even acknowledgement that I had!   :;:-|

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »
If Safin can get his act together mentally, and he does so before he wastes his prodigeous talent, he's definitly a threat.

Hewitt? I doubt it,

Ferrero same.

Oddly enough I root against him partialy due to the annoying hype level from the American media, which being Canadian I am subjected a fair amount to.   He still has the best chance of all these players of winning another slam before he retires though.

And, what about Dr. Ivo?    You gonna stick a fork in him also?  Or, I guess you would say he had a fork in him when he showed up on tour.   :)~

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »
Yeah. Dr.Ivo for sure. He's going to win Wimbledon and FO soon.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 09:51:35 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

Hewitt? I doubt it,

Ferrero same.

And, what about Dr. Ivo?    You gonna stick a fork in him also?  Or, I guess you would say he had a fork in him when he showed up on tour.   :)~

I dont stick a fork in his career for a long time.  He will continue having good success on the ATP tour with good results, and being a very dangerous player based on his incredible serve.    On the other hand I stuck a fork in him winning a grand slam the first time I saw him play.   Players with incredible serves, and almost no other redeeming qualities, and the return of serve and ground game of a park tournament regular, will never win a grand slam.   That does not mean he wont continue to play on tour with good success, and being happy doing so for awhile.   He just wont ever go all the way at a big tournament is all.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 10:20:07 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

I dont stick a fork in his career for a long time.  He will continue having good success on the ATP tour with good results, and being a very dangerous player based on his incredible serve.    On the other hand I stuck a fork in him winning a grand slam the first time I saw him play.   Players with incredible serves, and almost no other redeeming qualities, and the return of serve and ground game of a park tournament regular, will never win a grand slam.   That does not mean he wont continue to play on tour with good success, and being happy doing so for awhile.   He just wont ever go all the way at a big tournament is all.
Ivo's got one other problem. He's got gimpy knees. If he has any success at all (unless maybe on clay) he ends up having to take time off to recover from some knee issue. It's something that will only get worse.

An ambition fulfilled