Author Topic: Venus Williams vs Amelie Mauresmo  (Read 3256 times)

Offline TennisAnyone

• Tennis Player
Venus Williams vs Amelie Mauresmo
« on: February 19, 2005, 06:34:57 PM »
Who will win the coveted diamond racquet?

Offline TennisAnyone

• Tennis Player
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 06:39:15 PM »
i think that Venus is got to bring it in a interview she said that she wanted this prize more than a GS title.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 06:46:32 PM »
I hope she takes the racquet home, too. This is huge because she's been building on this for 3 years now and I have to say this is quite possibly her best chance at taking the diamond racquet home. She nearly took Mauresmo out a couple months ago and she should be able to do it now. If she can't -- next year's tournament might be more difficult and next year would be her last chance to take away the racquet before the 3 in 5 years thing ran out.

Go venus

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 09:33:18 PM »
I wonder what their head to head is in finals.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 10:04:33 PM »
Williams leads the rivalry 5-2. Though Mauresmo leads their FINALS rivalry 2-0. Bear in mind that one of those finals Venus didn't even play because she withdrew with that ankle injury last year before the FO. And the other final Venus had to retire in the middle of the 3rd set with an injury of some kind, I suppose.

So this will basically be their first clean final assuming nothing random happens.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 10:08:31 PM »
lol, wow, she only beat Venus when she defaulted, otherwise she has never beaten Venus at all.
Scott Baker

Offline TennisAnyone

• Tennis Player
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 09:45:05 AM »
Mauresmo beat Venus 4-6 7-5 6-4  ;>)

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 09:59:06 AM »
Mighty impressive that from Mauresmo especially considering she was a break down in the 3rd - no sign of any mental problems there then, although the test will come if she's in a similar situation in the semis of the French

Offline dagnat

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 10:07:49 AM »
I agree with both of those points, RainerS.  Will this win help her at RG?

Amélie should get some confidence from her comeback in this match.  She was down a break in the  third, as well as having lost the first set.  But I noted that she didn't have to serve for the match--she broke Venus in a long final game to win the match.  I wonder if Venus had nerve / serve problems?

Offline dagnat

• Tennis Player
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 10:55:15 AM »
Here's the wrap-up from the site www.sport.be

It's translated to English via the Babelfish feature of AltaVista, which is a hoot!

Mauresmo deprives Venus from the first prize
 Noah Fajersztajn20-02-2005

A the exit of a final from great quality, Amélie Mauresmo managed to take the measurement of Come Williams finally from Proximus Diamond Games, thus depriving the American one of the racket of diamants.Venus folded near to the goal. Proximus Diamond Games profited from a final of dream with to the poster Mauresmo - Williams. First head of series in Antwerp, the Frenchwoman disputed her second consecutive final. Vis-a-vis with it, Come Williams, third head of series in Antwerp, is for its part finally of Proximus Diamond Games for the third time. In the event of success, the American one would have thus to bring back the diamond racket in its luggage. All seemed well left for the elder one Williams following his profit of the first sleeve, but Mauresmo showed much combattivity to hang its adversary and to gain the second set. The third set was impresses of suspense and of tennis of high invoice, the following which, the Frenchwoman took the top on Venus.

And here's another translation from the French Yahoo tennis site:

Mauresmo shines vis-a-vis in Venus Williams  20 fév, 17h33

ANTWERP (AFP) - the Frenchwoman Amélie Mauresmo made a success of the exploit to reverse a situation very compromised to gain the finale of the tennis tournament of Antwerp, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 vis-a-vis in American Come Williams, Sunday. One week after her final lost in Paris vis-a-vis with the Russian Dinara Safina, the Frenchwoman takes down her first titrates this season, at the time of this test WTA equipped with 585.000 dollars (455.000 euros).  Head of series N.1, Mauresmo emerged physically at the end of a 2 hour old combat 18 minutes vis-a-vis with one Venus Williams (N.3) very moved by the prospect to gain third once the test of the diamond-like city. The Frenchwoman appeared contracted at the time of the first exchanges and lost her service of entry. Contrary to Saturday in semi-final, Mauresmo fished by irregularity on its first ball. It thus conceded with three recoveries its play of service during the first sleeve. An aubaine for its adversary which, without playing its best tennis, benefitted from the direct faults of Mauresmo and the difficulties had by this one to find the good length of ball. Williams allocated sleeve 6-4 in half an hour. Put in confidence, the American one continued its domination with starts second sleeve and +breakait+ with 4-2. Mauresmo missed solutions to make doubt an adversary with which it victory seemed promised. But, counters any waiting, the arm of large American trembled at the time to be useful for the match, with 5-3. The Frenchwoman benefitted from it to align three plays and to return in the match (7-5). The level of play rose clearly in the ultimate sleeve, Mauresmo finding all its effectiveness with the net while Williams controlled the long exchanges better. The 10.000 spectators of Sportpaleis regaled themselves. Carried out 2-4, Mauresmo managed once again to reverse the vapor with 5-4. Williams seemed blunted. Dominated on the physical level, it conceded several balls of matches to 4-5 and ended up yielding on the fifth in front of euphoric Mauresmo. "I was crescendo throughout the week. I think of having passed a small course here in Antwerp. 2005 is really announced very very well ", commented on, hilarious, the Frenchwoman.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 11:17:50 AM »
That translation is utter crap
"Venus Williams" translated as "Come Williams" - as someone who speaks French, that is just an embarrassment

Offline cakes

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 11:30:41 AM »
Allez Amelie!  She hung in and fought for the win.  It should do a lot for her confidence.    

Ranier - if you haven't read the Bablefish translations before don't be offended.  They are funny and not meant to be "true" translations for the purists.

cakes

Offline dagnat

• Tennis Player
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 11:31:28 AM »
C'mon, RainerS!  

OF COURSE the translation is utter crap.  It's done by a fricking computer-translator!  That's the fun of it.  

I love the way "Venus" is translated as "Come," which I suppose is generated by some form of the French "venir."

If I am the only person who likes this translation, errrrr, I APOLOGIZE!  (translation: "you are all full of crappola, and besides that, you don't have much of a verbal sense of humor"--I swear that is the Official Babelfish Translation.)

I LOVE RAINER SCH¨TTLER!!  . . . und, Rainer has confided in me his love for AltaVista Babelfish translations.!  er, I think that's what he said, but I had to translate it first. . . .

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2005, 11:31:37 AM »
I'm offended at the state of babelfish lol
Google translator is still bad but better than babelfish

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 11:40:25 AM »
Taking 3 sets to beat a Venus Williams that has been regularly losing around the 4th round of slams in the last year, unless Venus's play has picked up this tournament which is hard to judge without seeing the event, hardly seems to speak highly for Mauresmo.   I still think she is highly overrated, will never win a slam, and drop out of the top 5 soon.

lizbeth

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 12:22:52 PM »
Dag, I am so happy to see one of the delicious translations again that you provide for us.  In this one, the phrase I will remember most is "she was contracted". Next time I double fault on game point, it will no doubt be because I was contracted :)  Thanks!

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2005, 12:27:03 PM »
C'MON DAGNAT, you are very defensive of babelfish, just take my throw away remark for what it was - a throw away remark and stop getting so bloody het up.

Offline dagnat

• Tennis Player
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2005, 12:31:22 PM »
Yikes.  All my comments were meant in hilarity, not defensive at all, and I'm not "het up."  I use Babelfish for fun, not accuracy.  The worse translation, the more fun.  Sorry.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2005, 12:32:38 PM »
I thought it was funny  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »
:crying: Aww...I'm so sad for Venus.

It was still a good match it seems but how did she let a lead slip away in the 3rd set - so close to something she wanted so bad! That's gotta be frustrating...

Good news is, she's playing a billion times better judging from this tournament and that's gotta mean good things to come in the future for Venus. I look forward to that even if I am a little sad about this particular tourney