Poll

What's the highest world ranking Murray can reach?

2 (22.2%)
3 (33.3%)
1 (11.1%)
1 (11.1%)
2 (22.2%)
6 or lower
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: June 09, 2007, 07:28:54 AM

Author Topic: Murray's Career High Rank  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Murray's Career High Rank
« on: June 09, 2007, 07:28:54 AM »
What's the highest ranking in the world that Andy Murray can reach?

I think he has the ability to reach number 1, but with Djokovic going to be around at the same time as him, it's going to be tricky to stay ahead of him, so I say Number 2 for Murray.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:21:49 AM »
I think 2 as well, with Djokovic, Nadal, Gasquet around him, Federer to think about as well, then there'll be other juniors coming up, I'm not sure he'll ever quite be world no:1.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »
Quote from: "kickserve"
I think 2 as well, with Djokovic, Nadal, Gasquet around him, Federer to think about as well, then there'll be other juniors coming up, I'm not sure he'll ever quite be world no:1.

Yes, everyone thought he could do it, but looking at the other youngsters, it's going to be next to impossible.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »
I don't think its impossible at all. Look at Djokovic, he has two three titles and a few good runs and he's in the top 5. All Murray needs is one Slam and maybe another Slam quarterfinal and one or two ATP MS titles and he'll be number one.

Of course this is after Fed's reign declines, so I am talking most likely in three years later at least. I am not saying he will keep it because that'd take some effort as you have already mentioned with Nadal Gasquet Djokovic and others but I think in a few years it will be quite competetive as to who can stay number 1 and we all agree Murray has at least a few grandslams to his future so I do believe we will see him at number one a few times. Let's just hope he steps up his character to be worthy of number 1, I myself have no experience or complaints with his personality or whatnot but many complaints surely can't be a good thing. His game will take him to number one, hopefully he will be a worthy number one.

Offline ThePAW

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »
After Federer goes I think it could be a return to number 1 changing quite a lot, Murray should be one of those players it passes onto.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 02:25:11 PM »
I just don't see what the hubub is about. I think he is as talented as anyone, but not more so. However his mental make up is questoinable. I count him among the top 5 or 6 newcomers. They are all equally talented, but I think he is the most frail both physically and mentally of them.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
I just don't see what the hubub is about. I think he is as talented as anyone, but not more so. However his mental make up is questoinable. I count him among the top 5 or 6 newcomers. They are all equally talented, but I think he is the most frail both physically and mentally of them.

I'm guessing the '5 or 6' are Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Gasquet, Berdych and Baghdatis (Monfils?)
Physically, although Nadal is superhuman, Djokovic has had injury problems, so have Berdych and Gasquet, Murray has had some problems but no worse than them.
Mentally, Baghdatis, Berdych and gasquet are all over the place. Murray might not be too good in his press-conferences, but on-court in the last year he's matured a lot and is very good in tight moments. I certainly wouldn't put him at the bottom of the pile mentally.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 04:09:48 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
I don't think its impossible at all. Look at Djokovic, he has two three titles and a few good runs and he's in the top 5. All Murray needs is one Slam and maybe another Slam quarterfinal and one or two ATP MS titles and he'll be number one.

Of course this is after Fed's reign declines, so I am talking most likely in three years later at least. I am not saying he will keep it because that'd take some effort as you have already mentioned with Nadal Gasquet Djokovic and others but I think in a few years it will be quite competetive as to who can stay number 1 and we all agree Murray has at least a few grandslams to his future so I do believe we will see him at number one a few times. Let's just hope he steps up his character to be worthy of number 1, I myself have no experience or complaints with his personality or whatnot but many complaints surely can't be a good thing. His game will take him to number one, hopefully he will be a worthy number one.

Good point. When
Federer's reign is over, I think the number 1 spot will change quite a bit. Surprised sid hasn't posted here!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 03:51:13 PM »
Literally, the highest he can reach is number 1!   :)~