Poll

How good are the changes in doubles?

Very good, it's more exciting, use it for the slams
1 (16.7%)
Terrible, a way to get the doubles players off as quickly as they can
3 (50%)
OK, but the slams should be kept to best of 5 sets, traditional scoring
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 28, 2007, 05:13:00 PM

Author Topic: New Doubles system  (Read 6419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
New Doubles system
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 09:02:36 AM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

Yeah, but good rambling with very good points.  I think the one thing you didn't discuss was the issue I have mentioned.  That is that we real tennis fans are going to watch whatever tennis the media shows us but the very casual fans that don't follow tennis closely at all are only attracted to the big name celebrity types like Roddick and Federer.


Big name celebraty tennis players are made in the media. There is some effort to make the Bryan brothers something of a thing, and Wayne Bryan is enjoying some ancilary celebraty from that as well. But Andy Ram is a very good doubles player whom nobody knows about. They won't know about him unless he is shown in a match.
The Wimbledon doubles final is an event just like the singles. But we won't see it unless the singles finals don't go too long and the networks have a little extra time. Then when they do actually schedule, and show the doubles it's at an unusual time, and not advertised. The tournaments don't help by scheduling the doubles as add ons, and fill in matches rather than feature matches
Speculation on the players and discussion of their strengths and weaknesses during some of the round table discussions would add to that. We had the whole story of Knowles and Nestor splitting up and making a run to win the French Open doubles title. It was an interesting story with an intersting twist, yet I didn't hear a peep about it anywhere except on TTC once or twice. But only in passing and not as part of any major discussion.


And, while we are ranting, do you know those 5 or 10 best shots of the tourney the media sometimes show at the end of a tourney?  They hardly ever show dubs points and you know you could find some ridiculously sweet points that show the amazement happening on the dubs courts.  I think if people saw more of those amazing dubs points, maybe they would seek the dubs out a little more.   ;-()


Speaking of that, while I was feasting on the TTC full court coverage in the first week of the French I was getting some doubles in that mix. I was entertaining thoughts of putting some of those points into a video montage and posting it YouTube or something. Some awesome playing. Quick hands. Lots of 'how did they do that!' kind of stuff.


Sweetness, there is none better than that action.   ;-()

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
New Doubles system
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 09:04:36 AM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "kickserve"

I don't know much about the Jensens, were they much good?


They were more loud than good. But they did win a few titles together and in mixed. They won a grand slam title (the French I think), and usually got the the semis or quarters in any tournament. They were all about rock and roll tennis and trying to make tennis exciting and fun. Lots of energy.
The problem was the hype and energy was really more than the substance. They were decent, but not great, but for awhile they were all over everywhere.
Luke Jenson was the louder one, and he was interesting becuase he could serve effectively both left and right handed, and would switch up as needed in a match.


I actually loved the Jensens and still do, apparently I am one of the few on this.  I think the Jensens and McEnroe's are doing more for the game to try to show energy and excitement so people can get excited about tennis!  For this I think they should have all tennis fans respect.  

As for their games, I think it was a case where they just weren't quite top 10 dubs teams material.  So, maybe they were top 20 or 50 but still very impressive to me.  I think they played with a lot of energy and almost all heart and really fed off of crowd energy.  I wish I was good enough to be top 50 dubs teams in the world!   ;-()


I too had respect for what they did. But following Flach and Seguso, whom they were supposed to be the replacement for, they were a major dissapointment. They weren't up to that. They had a very respectable career.
The problem I had with the Jensens, and I don't think I'm alone here, is that there was far too much hype as compared to substance. It was sound and fury and a ho-hum tennis match. They tried to make tennis much more that it really is. Promises of incredible fun and excitement followed by a normal every day tennis match. We love it, but it's not the amazing event that was promised. And we don't love it because of the sound and fury, we love because of what it is.


Honestly, did Flach and Seguso have tons better success than the Jensens?  Admittedly, I started watching as they were leaving the game but I have some slight memories of seeing them at Cincy.  

Are you talking about hype created by the Jensens or by the media or something?  I thought it did live up to the hype but maybe I just got lucky to see a good match of theirs.  It was late night at Cincy and their was still a decent crowd in the center court, there was lots of energy and excitement and really it was one of the most fun matches I have ever watched!


There's no question Flach/Seguso were a much better team, results-wise, than the Jensens. What the Bryan brothers are now, the Flach/Seguso team was in the 80s. They won an incredible number of Davis Cup ties for the US. They were, if not the #1 team, in the top 2 or 3 of doubles teams in the world for many years.
From what I saw the Jensen brothers were very much in the middle and driving some of the media hype. I can dig out some Tennis Magazines that had whole sections of the Jensen brother's Rock & Roll tennis crap stuffed in there.


But if it was in the Tennis mag, then isn't that the media hyping it/them and not necessarily the Jensens doing it.

Offline dmastous

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15261
  • Gender: Male
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
New Doubles system
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 09:13:10 AM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "dmastous"
Quote from: "kickserve"

I don't know much about the Jensens, were they much good?


They were more loud than good. But they did win a few titles together and in mixed. They won a grand slam title (the French I think), and usually got the the semis or quarters in any tournament. They were all about rock and roll tennis and trying to make tennis exciting and fun. Lots of energy.
The problem was the hype and energy was really more than the substance. They were decent, but not great, but for awhile they were all over everywhere.
Luke Jenson was the louder one, and he was interesting becuase he could serve effectively both left and right handed, and would switch up as needed in a match.


I actually loved the Jensens and still do, apparently I am one of the few on this.  I think the Jensens and McEnroe's are doing more for the game to try to show energy and excitement so people can get excited about tennis!  For this I think they should have all tennis fans respect.  

As for their games, I think it was a case where they just weren't quite top 10 dubs teams material.  So, maybe they were top 20 or 50 but still very impressive to me.  I think they played with a lot of energy and almost all heart and really fed off of crowd energy.  I wish I was good enough to be top 50 dubs teams in the world!   ;-()


I too had respect for what they did. But following Flach and Seguso, whom they were supposed to be the replacement for, they were a major dissapointment. They weren't up to that. They had a very respectable career.
The problem I had with the Jensens, and I don't think I'm alone here, is that there was far too much hype as compared to substance. It was sound and fury and a ho-hum tennis match. They tried to make tennis much more that it really is. Promises of incredible fun and excitement followed by a normal every day tennis match. We love it, but it's not the amazing event that was promised. And we don't love it because of the sound and fury, we love because of what it is.


Honestly, did Flach and Seguso have tons better success than the Jensens?  Admittedly, I started watching as they were leaving the game but I have some slight memories of seeing them at Cincy.  

Are you talking about hype created by the Jensens or by the media or something?  I thought it did live up to the hype but maybe I just got lucky to see a good match of theirs.  It was late night at Cincy and their was still a decent crowd in the center court, there was lots of energy and excitement and really it was one of the most fun matches I have ever watched!


There's no question Flach/Seguso were a much better team, results-wise, than the Jensens. What the Bryan brothers are now, the Flach/Seguso team was in the 80s. They won an incredible number of Davis Cup ties for the US. They were, if not the #1 team, in the top 2 or 3 of doubles teams in the world for many years.
From what I saw the Jensen brothers were very much in the middle and driving some of the media hype. I can dig out some Tennis Magazines that had whole sections of the Jensen brother's Rock & Roll tennis crap stuffed in there.


But if it was in the Tennis mag, then isn't that the media hyping it/them and not necessarily the Jensens doing it.


My impression was that they were equally guilty. The Jensens drove the bus and Tennis Mag paid for it.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 8501
  • Gender: Male
    • Onset of Chaos
New Doubles system
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 09:30:53 AM »
kickserve hasn't voted? even with my vote (the last choice) there are only 3 votes, and now with my post here there have been four different people posting.


Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
New Doubles system
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »
Are you sure it wasn't Tennis mag's idea and the Jensens were along for the ride!??   ||-|

Offline dmastous

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15261
  • Gender: Male
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
New Doubles system
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 09:34:45 AM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Are you sure it wasn't Tennis mag's idea and the Jensens were along for the ride!??   ||-|

No, I'm not sure. I did get the feeling the whole thing was their idea, but it could be some suit at TM came to them with it and they jumped on board.
Who knows. The end result was a whole lot of noise and very little.... well.. anything.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

  • The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 15107
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
New Doubles system
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 09:36:36 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
kickserve hasn't voted? even with my vote (the last choice) there are only 3 votes, and now with my post here there have been four different people posting.


I don't think I have voted because I just couldn't decide but I care about this topic greatly and I have loved the conversation about it.   ;-()

Offline Murrayfan11

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 7919
  • Gender: Male
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
New Doubles system
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 09:59:30 AM »
It's ok, but they should keep it to 5 sets in grand slams.

Offline kickserve

  • Tennis God
  • ******
  • Posts: 12961
  • Gender: Male
New Doubles system
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 11:00:30 AM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Quote from: "pawan89"
kickserve hasn't voted? even with my vote (the last choice) there are only 3 votes, and now with my post here there have been four different people posting.


I don't think I have voted because I just couldn't decide but I care about this topic greatly and I have loved the conversation about it.   ;-()


I voted, it's a ****ing gimmick.