Squash
1 (9.1%)
Table Tennis
5 (45.5%)
None
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 16, 2007, 03:48:48 PM

Author Topic: Other Racket Sports  (Read 9754 times)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« on: June 16, 2007, 03:48:48 PM »
Do many of the posters here play racket sports other than tennis? Do they find this helps or hinders their tennis game?

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »
Personally, Squash was my first sport and although I don't play it now, I find a lot of squash traits help my game. Squash involves a lot of sideways movement, so my retrieving is one of my best qualities, while I also use the 'Federer squash forehand' to get myself back into points. My footwork is also helped by squash, because you have to be on your toes and have 'dancing feet' which is a massive help in tennis.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 03:56:51 PM »
You should have had an "other" also.  I play with a ball & pins! (bowling)! :))

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 03:59:23 PM »
Quote from: "Dallas"

:lmao: Not sure that counts  :)~

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »
Quote from: "kickserve"
Quote from: "Dallas"

:lmao: Not sure that counts  :)~

Oh well... I could hit it down the lans with a tennis racket!?  :))   Won't count either, hun?  OK... then I don't play a racket sport.  Too bad... :))

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 07:07:45 PM »
I play a ton of table tennis.  Like atleast 1 hour a day.  I'm actually quite good.  Oh by the way does anybody know if table tennis will hurt your tennis game?

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 10:47:29 PM »
Quote from: "#1federerfan"
I play a ton of table tennis.  Like atleast 1 hour a day.  I'm actually quite good.  Oh by the way does anybody know if table tennis will hurt your tennis game?

It is mental, if you think it will hurt your tennis game then maybe it will, but I can't see that being a real worry since the strokes are pretty different.  I love Ping Pong and was pretty good at it but never really played enough or regularly enough.  Have you played dubs in Ping Pong?

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 10:57:14 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

It is mental, if you think it will hurt your tennis game then maybe it will, but I can't see that being a real worry since the strokes are pretty different.  I love Ping Pong and was pretty good at it but never really played enough or regularly enough.  Have you played dubs in Ping Pong?

Yeah, its all mental really to be able to separate out one from the other in your head. That said, I don't play one hour everyday so I wouldn't know. I am pretty good at table tennis too except I play like once a few months - a few of my relatives including my parents are madd good (used to be like torunament level good back in the day) at TT so i like the competition, too bad they don't play anymore.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 11:10:25 PM »
I've played racquetball a few times in the past, but don't because it's too much the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish on a tennis court (hitting the ball with the wrist, hitting the ball as hard as you can with slice to a spot that would lose the point every time in tennis). Squash, same story.
Table tennis (ping pong to me) is fun. But I haven't played at all in the last decade or so. I just used the same strokes, but abreviated when I played Ping Pong.
I met a Vietnamese guy who was a competative table tennis player. We were comparing tradecraft. Me with my stringing and customization, and him with his own racquet preperation. He said competative table tennis player resurface their racquets as often or more often than we restring. He showed me how it was done. It was pretty interesting.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
I've played racquetball a few times in the past, but don't because it's too much the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish on a tennis court (hitting the ball with the wrist, hitting the ball as hard as you can with slice to a spot that would lose the point every time in tennis). Squash, same story.
Table tennis (ping pong to me) is fun. But I haven't played at all in the last decade or so. I just used the same strokes, but abreviated when I played Ping Pong.
I met a Vietnamese guy who was a competative table tennis player. We were comparing tradecraft. Me with my stringing and customization, and him with his own racquet preperation. He said competative table tennis player resurface their racquets as often or more often than we restring. He showed me how it was done. It was pretty interesting.

I guess I shouldn't be but I am shocked by this!  Interesting indeed!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 02:42:06 AM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

I guess I shouldn't be but I am shocked by this!  Interesting indeed!

Yeah, apparently there's a lot of techno to the resurfacing. I have a mate who plays a lot and he gets his bats custom-mad, choosing the pads* on either side of the blade.

*I can't remember what you're meant to call them, but 'pads' seems to fit pretty well.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 09:13:10 AM »

Yes, sometimes my family used to play because we used to have 4 people in it.  So I would be on my moms team and my dad would play with my sister.  My team always won!  :)) Not because we were individually better just because my sister is pathetic.  :uh:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 10:20:22 AM »

Yes, sometimes my family used to play because we used to have 4 people in it.  So I would be on my moms team and my dad would play with my sister.  My team always won!  :)) Not because we were individually better just because my sister is pathetic.  :uh:

Get 4 solid players or equally matched ones and it is great fun!   :)

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »
Sometimes 3 of my friends come over and that is always good fun.  Although I'm clearly the best :whistle:

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 11:49:15 AM »
I'd say none, but if I see a free table tennis table, I'll go for it.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47:08 PM »
i play both table tennis and badminton for laughs and giggles.  dude668 here is provincially ranked in table tennis in quebec.  he kicks serious ass.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 04:07:27 AM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
i play both table tennis and badminton for laughs and giggles.  dude668 here is provincially ranked in table tennis in quebec.  he kicks serious ass.

Good for him, it must take a lot of work to play that level.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 04:16:18 AM »

Yeah, I saw someone at a club playing table tennis, who's a normal tennis player, and he grunted when he hit the table tennis ball!!!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 04:20:32 AM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"

Yeah, I saw someone at a club playing table tennis, who's a normal tennis player, and he grunted when he hit the table tennis ball!!!

LOL! Not to belittle it as a sport, but the physical aspect can't be too much.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 04:22:23 AM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"

LOL! Not to belittle it as a sport, but the physical aspect can't be too much.

Exactly!!!!