Poll

Is the "droppa" more effective on clay or grass?

Clay
9 (64.3%)
Grass
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: June 22, 2007, 08:32:55 PM

Author Topic: The drop shot  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
The drop shot
« on: June 22, 2007, 08:32:55 PM »
Is the "droppa" more effective on clay or grass?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
The drop shot
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:52:58 PM »
I think that it is more effective on grass, as the ball stays very low and dies faster.  On clay, it takes more time to die, and hence is not too effective on very fast movers like Nadal.

Offline NJtennis11

• Tennis God
The drop shot
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:57:06 PM »
I think its more effective on clay, people tend to play further behind the baseline on clay and the drop shot can be used very effectively.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
The drop shot
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:41:18 PM »
Quote from: "NJtennis11"
I think its more effective on clay, people tend to play further behind the baseline on clay and the drop shot can be used very effectively.

That's what I think too.  Clay court players stand 50 ft behind the baseline! :))

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
The drop shot
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 11:51:59 PM »
Quote from: "Dallas"

That's what I think too.  Clay court players stand 50 ft behind the baseline! :))

This is why I wanted to see people thoughts.  With the clay they are further behind the baseline but the ball bounces higher.  After playing on grass for the first time last year I was surprised to see how much the grass just kills the ball.  It has no bounce.
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
The drop shot
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 12:21:57 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"

This is why I wanted to see people thoughts.  With the clay they are further behind the baseline but the ball bounces higher.  After playing on grass for the first time last year I was surprised to see how much the grass just kills the ball.  It has no bounce.

But if you're smart you're getting into the net on grass. Who wants to be hitting groundies from your ankles? How effective is a drop shot to someone at net?
Clay has a tendancy to bunch up a round the net, espcially if the courts aren't maintained well. This will make drop shots even more effective as it doesn't bounce on the 'deeper' clay.
I think there's no question that people tend to stand deeper back to give themselves time to adjust to wierd bounces and let the ball come down to them. The increasing amount of topspin people are getting will force people back even more.
Add to that the poor footing when it comes to having to take off after a drop shot (your first step could be a slide back before you get going), and I think you've got a pretty good case for clay.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
The drop shot
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 03:03:22 AM »
I'm with clay on this one, for the same reason as Dallas and NJTennis

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
The drop shot
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 04:12:03 AM »
It depends on how it's played. If you play it with heavy back spin better on clay, but less spin is more useful on grass, because it stays very low. Overall though, it is better on clay, because players are deeper behind the baseline, while being at the net is less of a tactical advantage.

Do you guys think following a dropper to the net is a worthwhile play?

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
The drop shot
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 04:17:45 AM »
Quote from: "kickserve"
It depends on how it's played. If you play it with heavy back spin better on clay, but less spin is more useful on grass, because it stays very low. Overall though, it is better on clay, because players are deeper behind the baseline, while being at the net is less of a tactical advantage.

Probably, as if they make the return, they won't hit it to the baseline normally, and it's easier to hit a drop shot from up at the net, which is where they would be. This exposesyourself a lot.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
The drop shot
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 04:19:40 AM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"

Probably, as if they make the return, they won't hit it to the baseline normally, and it's easier to hit a drop shot from up at the net, which is where they would be. This exposesyourself a lot.

Yeah, it's one I use often. I try to follow it with a quick lob, because it catches them totally unawares.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
The drop shot
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 04:23:01 AM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"

Yeah, it's one I use often. I try to follow it with a quick lob, because it catches them totally unawares.

Yeah, that's what I do most of the time.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
The drop shot
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 10:45:54 AM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

But if you're smart you're getting into the net on grass. Who wants to be hitting groundies from your ankles? How effective is a drop shot to someone at net?
Clay has a tendancy to bunch up a round the net, espcially if the courts aren't maintained well. This will make drop shots even more effective as it doesn't bounce on the 'deeper' clay.
I think there's no question that people tend to stand deeper back to give themselves time to adjust to wierd bounces and let the ball come down to them. The increasing amount of topspin people are getting will force people back even more.
Add to that the poor footing when it comes to having to take off after a drop shot (your first step could be a slide back before you get going), and I think you've got a pretty good case for clay.

But if you are the one at the net the drop volley is a shot I would consider a drop shot.
Scott Baker

Offline sid

• Tennis God
The drop shot
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »
On the drop shot i use to love watching Egburg play this on grass,players in them days came to the net more.Its very hard to say where is best if its clay or grass.Players like Roddick will come to the net as thay have a big serve,v players like this its a great shot & effective on grass.Im going for grass here just as more players come into the net.
sid :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
The drop shot
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

But if you are the one at the net the drop volley is a shot I would consider a drop shot.

I'll nitpick here and say a drop volley is a drop volley and a drop shot is from the baseline. At least that's how I will define them. Drop volleys are effective on grass or clay, but you don't find your self at net nearly as much on clay.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
The drop shot
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 10:00:25 AM »

Most definitely!   ;-()    I always follow a 'low-tight to the net ball' in toward net as aggressively as I can.  The opponent is going to have to hit the ball up if they can even get there, and when they do you can pounce on it.  Plus, it applies even more pressure on your opponent because they can't just hit the ball defensively up and back towards the middle of the court.  They must consider how to get the already difficult shot by you since you are right there to poach it!