Author Topic: Don't get the hype around Mauresmo, WAY OVERRATED!  (Read 1158 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Don't get the hype around Mauresmo, WAY OVERRATED!
« on: February 22, 2005, 09:35:32 AM »
I am just curious why you guys think a player who has not reached a slam final in 6 years, is 99% likely to never win a grand slam, and 80% likely never to reach another slam final; continuosly only gets a few games from Venus and Serena when they play their best(even other top players were more respectable most of the time than she against them);
regularly loses to Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, and other top players when they are in even reasonable form; has so much praise and recognition in general, and as far as her chances in major events.     Furthermore she lost twice to Dementieva in slam quarters last year, when her draw was wide open to a final or win.   She failed to reach a slam final last year in what was generally considered a crapshoot year for womens tennis.    Opportunities were huge vacancies last year and she didnt come through even with that to face.   She also failed to beat an extremely sluggish Serena in the Wimbledon semis last year, and a horrendously off-form Venus in the 2001 U.S Open semis.   So she can usually loses to top players, in grand slams the true measuring events of a players ability, even when they are playing their worst and she is playing in peak form.

The only two things I praise her for are her record in tier 1 and tier 2 clay court events, very strong; and her record against Capriati, very impressive.    Other than that she is very second tierish, which is nothing to be ashamed of, just not worthy of the hype and recognition she seems to receive, especially from the crazed French press.    With Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, and even Zvonareva only getting better and better in the near future to go along with the Americans and Belgians that have surpassed her for years I dont see her staying in the top 5 for long, but she might stay in the top 10.    The best days of her inflated career are past I predict.    Her diamond raquet she recently won will be her best career souvenir.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 09:44:02 AM »
I think she has nice strokes, moves well, and has a good game.  But I have never really liked her.  I do not expect her to do anything great before she retires.  She has played good tennis for quite a while now.  

Maybe it all goes back to her mental game.  She has never had that major break through.  Beating Venus as a shadow of what she used to be is not impressive to me.  Look at the people who have been beating Venus in the last year.

The onyl reason I liked Mauresmo even just a little bit is because she used to beat whiney at the slams.  (Capriati)

Hingis used to say she hit like a man.  I always thought that was funny.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 10:22:53 AM »
People say Venus played much better at this tournament.   When I hear it from some people I trust who actually watched the tournament I will believe it.    I cannot fault one from making their assumptions by reading scores and reports, I did not see any of it, and that is what I am doing too.   I just dont yet have a raised feeling of Venus's game based on an easy win over a Clijsters who is just returning the tour, always a mystery to what form that player will be in, and a Myskina who has only beaten a string of top player on clay, only one time, and appears to be fading down so far this year anyway.    

When I am being critical of Mauresmo I dont want it to sound like I dont think she is a very good player or somewhat of a contender on tour.
I just cant see her ever winning a grand slam, and reaching another slam final seems a long shot after all the chances she has had in the last few years.   It seems there are quite a few likely to pass her by in the near future.   I just dont understand the belief her chances are real of winning a major event, as many of the "insiders" consider.   They rarely call her the favorite but always seem to give her a considerable shot of winning it all, which I dont get.  Last year, perhaps weaker is not the right term, but was one of the most open in womens tennis recent memory, and Mauresmo could not take advantage of that to even reach one slam final or win one slam, with the four best women before the winter or spring of last year(Venus, Serena, Henin, and Clijsters) being alternately injured, sick, and short on match play and confidence.

Offline trente-quinze

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 12:57:42 PM »
I more or less agree with you,  whenever a slam starts, I just cannot see Amélie winning it. She may play well enough to go to the semis every once in a while but to win 7 matches is probably too much to ask for.
She's too fragile while there are many other contenders with a better chance out there.

As a fan, I hope she'll prove me wrong someday though!

As for the French press, isn't it in every country that their best players alternatively get hyped and flamed as quickly?
the froggy chick formerly known as arnod

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 01:16:42 PM »
She hasnt won  the racket , you have to win it 3 times in 5 years.
In her match against Venus, which I saw, she looked very agressive
and she didnt gave V. a real chance. She was coming frequently to the net
and Venus was unable to find an answer. Venus looked quite nervous and the crowd wasnt really supportive either, but Mauresmo definetly deserved her win. Even tough I would like to see Venus win the racket :))

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 03:25:34 AM »
Kittens, would you be opposed to having this as the overrated player thread?  :whistle:

Anyway, Myskina just lost in straight sets to Conchita Martinez. While I never thought people hyped Myskina, it just reinforces my disbelief that she somehow won a major.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 10:07:27 AM »
I dont think Myskina is hyped by fans of tennis, or experts that analyze the game.   They have some respect for her abilites but they dont take her seriously as a main contender to win any major, or to stay in the top 5 long.  Her results of last year certainly seem like an inflation of her abilities though, so I guess it is in what sense you mean overrated.  If she repeated something similar this year I might have had to eat my words, but based on her early start, I look safe.   She is not near the talent Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, and even Zvonareva are IMHO.

Speaking of overrated does anybody remember back in 95 when Tracy Austin had some sort of lovefest going on with Conchita Martinez.
It was hilarious!

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 10:08:01 AM »
Sorry that last post was by me.