Squash
1 (9.1%)
Table Tennis
5 (45.5%)
None
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 16, 2007, 03:48:48 PM

Author Topic: Other Racket Sports  (Read 9627 times)

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 12:32:06 AM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"
Quote from: "kickserve"
Quote from: "thejackal"
i play both table tennis and badminton for laughs and giggles.  dude668 here is provincially ranked in table tennis in quebec.  he kicks serious ass.

Good for him, it must take a lot of work to play that level.

Yeah, I saw someone at a club playing table tennis, who's a normal tennis player, and he grunted when he hit the table tennis ball!!!

LOL! Not to belittle it as a sport, but the physical aspect can't be too much.

Exactly!!!!

you need insane reaction time and a lot more grooved strokes to play it at a high level as far as i know.  the balls are slick unlike tennis balls so it's a lot harder to control its flight path with spin
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 01:10:19 AM »
i play both table tennis and badminton for laughs and giggles.  dude668 here is provincially ranked in table tennis in quebec.  he kicks serious ass.

Yeah, I saw someone at a club playing table tennis, who's a normal tennis player, and he grunted when he hit the table tennis ball!!!

Exactly!!!!

you need insane reaction time and a lot more grooved strokes to play it at a high level as far as i know.  the balls are slick unlike tennis balls so it's a lot harder to control its flight path with spin

Yes, but surely not enough physical exertion to constitute a grunt.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 03:04:10 AM »

Exactly!!!!

That's what I was thinking. I wanted to yell at him to stop.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »

Exactly!!!!

Not so sure on this one as very high level ping-pong involves quite a bit of movement around the table with severe lunging and even diving!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

Exactly!!!!

Not so sure on this one as very high level ping-pong involves quite a bit of movement around the table with severe lunging and even diving!

LMAO!!! It was ok to start with, but diving!!! LMFAO!  :lmao:  :lmao:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »

Exactly!!!!

Diving? Only if you're playing exhibition style 10 feet behind the table.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »

Exactly!!!!

Which is what they do at the highest level of ping-pong!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2007, 01:45:47 PM »

Exactly!!!!

Which is what they do at the highest level of ping-pong!

Correction: it's what they do at the highest level when taking the p!ss. Most rallies last 2 to 3 shots, close to the table, finishing in errors forced by varying spins.

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »
Table Tennis

Table tennis does involve much strenuous activity and at time may require flying in mid air.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
On the news, I saw two people at Manchester Airport breaking a new world record for longest time a ping pong rally has gone on for. Some people should try this for real tennis. Anyone know if there's an existing record for that?

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »
Quote from: "#1federerfan"
Table Tennis
Table tennis does involve much strenuous activity and at time may require flying in mid air.

See, I told you!   ..-)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »
On the news, I saw two people at Manchester Airport breaking a new world record for longest time a ping pong rally has gone on for. Some people should try this for real tennis. Anyone know if there's an existing record for that?

Probably, try Guinness book of Records. Federer-Hewitt in Indian Wells might not be far off the professional record.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »

I think there is some American guy who does this but I can't remember his name.  Where's Dmast when you need him, this seems like something he would know.

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
I'm no encyclopedia, but the internet puts a virtual encyclopedia at your fingertips.
A quick search reveals the following;

From the BBC:
Quote from: "BBC"
Meanwhile, representing Worcestershire in the record books is Steve Worrallo and Alan Benbow.
They hold the title for participating in the longest tennis rally in history, after hitting 24,646 shots over the net at Droitwich Tennis Club on 24 March 2005.
The challenge took them more than seven hours to complete and they raised more than £32,000 for the club in the process.

From the Guardian;
Quote from: "Guardian Unlimited"

Library of Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum would suggest that the longest rally in a tournament was one in which the ball passed over the net 643 times. The competitors were Jean Hepner and Vicky Nelson at Richmond, Virginia USA in October 1984. Nelson went on to win the match

15,674 by Rob Peterson and Ray Miller of USA set Feb 5, 2000 San Diego Ca.....Most serves in tennis history........8,017 (Guinness record) in 10 hours 7 minutes Dec 7, 1998 by Rob Peterson. (please see tennisworldrecords.com for more tennis records)

Will Duggan and Ron Kapp (both USA) performed a rally of 6,202 strokes, which took 3 hr 33 min, at Santa Barbara Municipal Stadium, CA on 12 March 1988

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"
I'm no encyclopedia, but the internet puts a virtual encyclopedia at your fingertips.

From the BBC:
Meanwhile, representing Worcestershire in the record books is Steve Worrallo and Alan Benbow.
They hold the title for participating in the longest tennis rally in history, after hitting 24,646 shots over the net at Droitwich Tennis Club on 24 March 2005.
The challenge took them more than seven hours to complete and they raised more than £32,000 for the club in the process.

From the Guardian;

Library of Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum would suggest that the longest rally in a tournament was one in which the ball passed over the net 643 times. The competitors were Jean Hepner and Vicky Nelson at Richmond, Virginia USA in October 1984. Nelson went on to win the match

15,674 by Rob Peterson and Ray Miller of USA set Feb 5, 2000 San Diego Ca.....Most serves in tennis history........8,017 (Guinness record) in 10 hours 7 minutes Dec 7, 1998 by Rob Peterson. (please see tennisworldrecords.com for more tennis records)

Will Duggan and Ron Kapp (both USA) performed a rally of 6,202 strokes, which took 3 hr 33 min, at Santa Barbara Municipal Stadium, CA on 12 March 1988

Right on queue, Dmast comes along. 7 hours is ridiculous. I wonder which one of them missed a shot?

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 04:32:19 PM »

From the BBC:

From the Guardian;

Right on queue, Dmast comes along. 7 hours is ridiculous. I wonder which one of them missed a shot?

I wonder what they did if they had to go to the bathroom :-o

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »

From the BBC:

From the Guardian;

Their shorts?

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 03:25:30 AM »

From the BBC:

From the Guardian;

Their shorts?

Lol, well in the table tennis one, one of the record breakers had to get interviewed after they'd broken it, so they got this other guy to quickly and temporarily take her place. Pretty hard changeover in table tennis, isn't it?

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Other Racket Sports
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 10:25:17 AM »
From Dmast's research:

longest rally in a tournament was one in which the ball passed over the net 643 times.

No way!  WTF?????    ||-|