Poll

Which worldwide sport other than tennis is your favourite.

Football
4 (33.3%)
Rugby
1 (8.3%)
Cricket
3 (25%)
Golf
2 (16.7%)
Athletics (Track and Field)
2 (16.7%)
Motorsport
0 (0%)
Snooker
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 29, 2007, 01:29:54 AM

Author Topic: Favourite proper sport besides tennis  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Favourite proper sport besides tennis
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 03:21:00 AM »
Quote from: "Alison2006"
Quote from: "murrayfan11"
Quote from: "sid"
Its football for me here as fav,but i do like other sports that are here.
sid :)

Yeah, that went the same for me.

and me..

And someone else, I'm guessing kickserve.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 03:43:34 AM »

and me..

Guessed right.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 03:57:29 AM »
Quote from: "kickserve"

and me..

Guessed right.

In other words, all the Brits.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 04:07:18 AM »

and me..

Guessed right.

Yep, Buckeye voted Golf and dmast Cricket: I guess they prefer Mickey Mouse Football to the real thing.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 04:08:20 AM »

and me..

Guessed right.

Yep, Buckeye voted Golf and dmast Cricket: I guess they prefer Mickey Mouse Football to the real thing.

LOL!!!  :)) I guess so.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 06:08:33 PM »

and me..

Guessed right.

lol, speaking of proper football.. all I can say is Spanish Football........ :H
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 10:22:47 PM »
See, Football in Europe isn't the Football in America so I didn't vote for that because I'm an NFL junkie.  But I love track and field too so I voted for that. :))

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 10:51:24 PM »
Quote from: "Dallas"
See, Football in Europe isn't the Football in America so I didn't vote for that because I'm an NFL junkie.  But I love track and field too so I voted for that. :))

Football from Europe might get big in the USA,i know its a lot bigger than a few years back from now.Im sure with becks going there to play will help even more.From NFL reggie bush said,david Beckhan has beaten the 37-year old distance record for American football field goal.With a 64-yard effort in a advert,he said the guys leg is golden.becks plays our football from europe,your not find a better passer of a football any where in the world.He is sure worth checking out,i think your be very happy 2 see him play.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 11:24:42 PM »

Football from Europe might get big in the USA,i know its a lot bigger than a few years back from now.Im sure with becks going there to play will help even more.From NFL reggie bush said,david Beckhan has beaten the 37-year old distance record for American football field goal.With a 64-yard effort in a advert,he said the guys leg is golden.becks plays our football from europe,your not find a better passer of a football any where in the world.He is sure worth checking out,i think your be very happy 2 see him play.

I have to dissagree with the thought that soccer will find more of a foothold that it has so far. It's possible yes, but there would need to be lots of changes to make it happen. Soccer has gotten a major foothold in the youth of America with the AYSO, but that happened 20 years ago, and it still hasn't translated into much in the pro ranks. We've had some minor World Cup success and still no blip on the radar. The young people play soccer until high school, then when they see the money is in football, baseball and basketball, they switch and that's that.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 11:40:11 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

I have to dissagree with the thought that soccer will find more of a foothold that it has so far. It's possible yes, but there would need to be lots of changes to make it happen. Soccer has gotten a major foothold in the youth of America with the AYSO, but that happened 20 years ago, and it still hasn't translated into much in the pro ranks. We've had some minor World Cup success and still no blip on the radar. The young people play soccer until high school, then when they see the money is in football, baseball and basketball, they switch and that's that.

I can go back 20 years ago when the likes of roddeny marsh went to the USA,its a lot bigger there now than then.You have some good players from the USA & some minor World Cup success.There has been talk here that if the USA keeps getting better,that thay could win the world cup one day.When thay see what Beckham gets paid, thay might just have a re think lol.
sid :lmao:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 11:50:18 PM »

I can go back 20 years ago when the likes of roddeny marsh went to the USA,its a lot bigger there now than then.You have some good players from the USA & some minor World Cup success.There has been talk here that if the USA keeps getting better,that thay could win the world cup one day.When thay see what Beckham gets paid, thay might just have a re think lol.

Beckam hardly gets a drop of press outside of LA. I heard about his $250 million contract, it made the rounds, raised some eyebrows and then we got back to business as usual.
Of course, I live near Boston. This has to be the single most myopic sports town in the US. It's pretty much Red Sox, Patriots, perhaps a story about the Celtics or Bruins (negative) and that's it. It's hard to judge from here.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 12:02:59 AM »

Beckam hardly gets a drop of press outside of LA. I heard about his $250 million contract, it made the rounds, raised some eyebrows and then we got back to business as usual.
Of course, I live near Boston. This has to be the single most myopic sports town in the US. It's pretty much Red Sox, Patriots, perhaps a story about the Celtics or Bruins (negative) and that's it. It's hard to judge from here.

Give it awhile im sure this will change,there been a film called bend it like Beckham.Nexst there be Beckham goes to hollywood as a film lol.Is this low paid in the USA THEN($250 million contract)as to other sports stars?I guess be seen out with top film starts from the USA.I bet this will change soon there(Beckam hardly gets a drop of press outside of LA)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 07:34:39 AM »

Give it awhile im sure this will change,there been a film called bend it like Beckham.Nexst there be Beckham goes to hollywood as a film lol.Is this low paid in the USA THEN($250 million contract)as to other sports stars?I guess be seen out with top film starts from the USA.I bet this will change soon there(Beckam hardly gets a drop of press outside of LA)

Bend it Like Beckham more the result of imigrants (Indian I think) coming to the US and making a film about a passion. In fact the biggest reason soccer (I still have to call it soccer) may make inroads is the increasing percentage of people from Mexico, and other soccer loving people moving the US.
$250 is the same as Alex Rodrigues got from the Texas Rangers, but A-Rod got that over 10 years. I don't think Beckam's contract is nearly that long, 5 years if memory doesn't fail me again. But when people started to examine what they could of the contract it was disclosed that he could make 'up to $50 million' annually. I don't remember what the base was, but much of the remaining amount was for incentives. Not player incentives (goals, assists), but team financial incentives. He is making a percentage of the team's profits. He still gets a hefty salary though.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 09:39:01 AM »
Anyway here is one fact for you Football or soccer as you call it,is the most viewed sport in the world.I just dont understand people from the United States not enjoying soccer for the great game it is.You should go to a game of soccer & watch,then here 80,000 fans chanting.Then if you dont like fair enough,my guess is you dont understand soccer.Iv never seen NFL Football live,but if i ever come to the United States its a must see for me.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 09:50:47 AM »
Anyway here is one fact for you Football or soccer as you call it,is the most viewed sport in the world.I just dont understand people from the United States not enjoying soccer for the great game it is.You should go to a game of soccer & watch,then here 80,000 fans chanting.Then if you dont like fair enough,my guess is you dont understand soccer.Iv never seen NFL Football live,but if i ever come to the United States its a must see for me.

I mentioned AYSO... I played soccer for a couple years in high school. I played until I got tired of running so much and found other interests. I think soccer suffers from too little real action. It's a constant game, but a constant lot of not too much. I know baseball can be boring as well, but there's a different pace to baseball. A different dynamic. With soccer there's a huge pitch, a lot of running, kicking the ball around. Not that much in the way of precision that is evident, though I know it's there. A lot of turnovers, and not much happening, then suddenly a run develops, everyone is entranced for about 30 seconds and it's back to the running and kicking for awhile. Add the flops and really bad acting at times and you've got a lot of people changing channels.
I'm not saying I don't like soccer, I do watch it sometimes when it's on. I watched some of the World Cup matches. I love the passion that the fans have, though they do go overboard quite a bit.  I'm just trying to give you a picture of what the people in America see when they watch soccer.
I can also try and see thing from your perspective when it comes to American football. My wife cracked up when she saw her first football game in TV. One guy gets this strange looking ball and everyone piles on top of him. She thought it was hilarious.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »
Chelsea are in the USA soon,try to go & watch,here is a link for when games are on.
http://www.chelseafc.com/page/FixturesAndReports/0,,10268,00.html
by the way saying this i think your mad(I think soccer suffers from too little real action)what soccer have you been watching lol,Come to the UK & see a game from the premier league.
sid ;-()

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »

I've never gotten into Soccer because in the USA it is not featured as one of the premeire sports.  I know it's big all over the rest of the world - but I have no interest in it.   Maybe if they featured it more in the States, or if I had someone I could 'relate' to as far as a great player that I could just follow, who knows.  Right now - I don't even watch it.! :))

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »
Out of all those listed I would have to say track and field, it's fascinating how they can run 100 meters in less than 10 seconds.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 01:13:20 PM »

I've never gotten into Soccer because in the USA it is not featured as one of the premeire sports.  I know it's big all over the rest of the world - but I have no interest in it.   Maybe if they featured it more in the States, or if I had someone I could 'relate' to as far as a great player that I could just follow, who knows.  Right now - I don't even watch it.! :))

Believe me: it's far more exciting than the American version, in which (correct me if I'm wrong) foot and ball seldom connect.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 02:52:23 PM »

Believe me: it's far more exciting than the American version, in which (correct me if I'm wrong) foot and ball seldom connect.

American football is more an extention of rugy, or Australian rules football. There is kicking but it's just kickoffs, punting, and kicking field goals. Also the odd free kick which is rugby like.
As for soccer being the most popular sport in the world, that's pretty clear. No reasonalble American would dispute with that fact. There are 300 million people in the US. There are 6 billion people in the world. China and India are over 1 billion a piece. The numbers pretty much make it a foregone conclusion.

An ambition fulfilled