Poll

Who is your winner for Mercedes-Benz: Play of the Month?

Tomas Berdych
2 (40%)
Juan Ignacio Chela
1 (20%)
Nicolas Mahut
1 (20%)
Robby Ginepri
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: June 30, 2007, 11:12:17 AM

Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz: Play of the Month - Your turn to vote  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
Mercedes-Benz: Play of the Month - Your turn to vote
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:12:56 AM »
For me, it was extremely tough. Very high standard this month, but my eventual winner is Juan Ignacio Chela.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 01:49:06 PM »
I could not view the Berdych one for some reason.  I have to vote for the Mahut one though.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I could not view the Berdych one for some reason.  I have to vote for the Mahut one though.

The Berdych one was brilliant: he chased down a dropshot to his backhand then Rochus chipped a ball deep into his forehand corner. Berdych raced back and chipped a squash shot down the line for a winner. Similar to Chela, except Chela came in to a forehand, but Berdych hit a clean winner off his retrieval, so he gets my vote.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 02:04:56 PM »
Good to see that this vote is coming very close!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:06:58 PM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"

Yep, 1 each, except Ginepri. His didn't seem too exceptional to me: the overhead looked spectacular but it's a pretty simple trickshot to bring off.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »
Quote from: "kickserve"

Yep, 1 each, except Ginepri. His didn't seem too exceptional to me: the overhead looked spectacular but it's a pretty simple trickshot to bring off.

Are you saying you wouldn't be thrilled to do that?

I know what you mean, it's below the other standards, but it is still an amazing shot.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 02:17:05 PM »

I know what you mean, it's below the other standards, but it is still an amazing shot.

I've done that shot and brought it off in practice, I'd shank it in a match, but in terms of difficulty level, it lags way behind other spectacular-looking shots e.g. the hot-dog or playing a shot behind your back.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 02:19:39 PM »

I've done that shot and brought it off in practice, I'd shank it in a match, but in terms of difficulty level, it lags way behind other spectacular-looking shots e.g. the hot-dog or playing a shot behind your back.

But you're not saying it's not an amazing shot?

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »

Oh no, to bring it off with that much accuracy is amazing, but it's not as difficult as it looks. To hook a low ball round yourself from way behind the baseline, as Berdych did, is more impressive to me.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 02:23:55 PM »

Oh no, to bring it off with that much accuracy is amazing, but it's not as difficult as it looks. To hook a low ball round yourself from way behind the baseline, as Berdych did, is more impressive to me.

I agree that the others were more impressive, but Ginepri's was still impressive, I think we can agree on that.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »

I agree that the others were more impressive, but Ginepri's was still impressive, I think we can agree on that.

Oh yes, it was the least impressive, but 'impressive' is still the optimum word.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 02:26:59 PM »

Oh yes, it was the least impressive, but 'impressive' is still the optimum word.

Exactly, that's how it became Mercedes Benz: Play of the Week in the first place!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »

Exactly, that's how it became Mercedes Benz: Play of the Week in the first place!

yeah, I'm kinda confused as to how two 'Play of the Week' winners were at Queens Club? Surely they should have been against each other?

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »
That's what I wondered. When I saw Mahut's point live, I knew it would be up there, but I'd never seen a point on Mercedes Benz that it had been an Unforced Error instead of an error.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »
That's what I wondered. When I saw Mahut's point live, I knew it would be up there, but I'd never seen a point on Mercedes Benz that it had been an Unforced Error instead of an error.

I'd hardly call it unforced, it would have been amazing if he'd got it. But yes, they do normally end on clean winners.

Interesting, the Berdych and Chela points are both from world team champs. What's going on here?

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 02:39:27 PM »

I'd hardly call it unforced, it would have been amazing if he'd got it. But yes, they do normally end on clean winners.

Interesting, the Berdych and Chela points are both from world team champs. What's going on here?

Yeah, maybe they just couldn't find any amazing points in other tournaments.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »

Roland Garros? Federer hit some beauties againast Ascione, Nadal played some insane defensive points, that's just off the top of my head.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 02:44:33 PM »

Roland Garros? Federer hit some beauties againast Ascione, Nadal played some insane defensive points, that's just off the top of my head.

True, maybe they forgot. We should complain.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »

Sorry, but I must disagree on this, I think that shot is ridiculously hard to pull off!