Author Topic: Nadal - Soderling incident  (Read 8964 times)

Offline redplaya13

• Tennis Player
Nadal - Soderling incident
« on: July 02, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »
Does anyone have a clip from the beginning of the fifth set of the Nadal Soderling match? I guess Soderling made a gesture that made fun of Nadal or something. If someone could post the video it would be much appreciated.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Nadal - Soderling incident
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »
Quote from: "redplaya13"
Does anyone have a clip from the beginning of the fifth set of the Nadal Soderling match? I guess Soderling made a gesture that made fun of Nadal or something. If someone could post the video it would be much appreciated.

If you give me a clue as to when it happened I could post video of some time in the next day or two.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:40:47 PM »
Haven't seen it yet but I have a feeling it will find itself to video form.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline redplaya13

• Tennis Player
Re: Nadal - Soderling incident
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:17:30 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

If you give me a clue as to when it happened I could post video of some time in the next day or two.

It was the first point of the fifth set with Nadal serving. I guess Soderling made a gesture after switching his racquet and it annoyed Nadal. Thanks for your help.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 08:41:50 AM »
I was thinking I'd have to wait for Wimbledon Live to offer the match, but the EPSN crew had a little discussion of the incident and they showed it.
Here's the mpg:
http://www.tips4tennis.com/Nadal_Sod.mpg

An ambition fulfilled

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »
Thanks for posting.  I love how Soderling points to Nadal before picking his butt.  As if there were any doubt in the first place.  LOL!!!
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »
Quote from: "FreeBird"
Thanks for posting.  I love how Soderling points to Nadal before picking his butt.  As if there were any doubt in the first place.  LOL!!!

:lmao:  :lmao:

I sure do hope he can pull this win now. Come on Soderling!

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 09:42:45 AM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
Quote from: "FreeBird"

:lmao:  :lmao:

I sure do hope he can pull this win now. Come on Soderling!

Completely agree - it's clear after watching the vid that Nadal is the bad guy here - though he's not really all that bad, just a bit of a prick for mocking Soderling.  But I'm definitely rooting for Soderling, tennis could use a little more of his type of comedy!  Maybe he'll mock Hewitt's fist pump in the next round?
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »
I saw that live, I didn't realise what was going on at the time, but now I realised, hilarious!!!!

Offline redplaya13

• Tennis Player
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »
Kind of strange that Nadal would get irritated at someone stalling when he's trying to serve when he does it all the time to his opponent.

Thanks for the video!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Kind of strange that Nadal would get irritated at someone stalling when he's trying to serve when he does it all the time to his opponent.

Thanks for the video!

Kind of hypocritical it seems to me, I agree with you!  Welcome to these boards!   :)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 04:49:02 PM »
He was more annoyed that Soderling was deliberately doing it to annoy him: Rafa does it because that's his routine. It was a big mistake for Soderling: making Nadal angry is suicide. It's almost literally waving the red flag to the bull.

Welcome to the boards redplaya!

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 05:59:40 PM »
Quote from: "kickserve"
He was more annoyed that Soderling was deliberately doing it to annoy him: Rafa does it because that's his routine. It was a big mistake for Soderling: making Nadal angry is suicide. It's almost literally waving the red flag to the bull.

Welcome to the boards redplaya!

<Rafa does it because that's his routine> - Indeed

Soderling did it because he's a ****ing Idiot (like I said before).. Anyway when Soderling wins more than 3 Grand Slams and more than 9 Masters series title.......maybe I will take him more seriously...even if he beats Rafa at Wimbledon...he's still gonna be a ****ing idiot in my eyes

Lets hope Federer doesn't upset Soderling......he might just start mocking the great man.....I guess feelings will be slightly different then.....

Vamos Rafa
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 09:15:19 PM »
Here is the clip of the incident:

Edit: Sorry I just noticed that dmastous has already posted the clip along with analysis from espn crew.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 10:24:41 PM »
Nadal was being a jerk and Solderling was just giving it back. I'm amazed at how sensitive people can be. You pick your butt between every point and then get mad when someone notices. Dude you pick out your wedgie on international TV for the world to see, nothing should embarass you.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 01:07:27 AM »
Quote from: "Pacer92110"
Nadal was being a jerk and Solderling was just giving it back. I'm amazed at how sensitive people can be. You pick your butt between every point and then get mad when someone notices. Dude you pick out your wedgie on international TV for the world to see, nothing should embarass you.

LOL!!! Brilliant. I think Soderling was being pretty immature, and he got the punishment in the next 2 games.

Offline boatsign

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 03:57:28 AM »
Just followed the last page of this thread.

When the commentators described Nadal's predicament of having so many matches to play, compared to Federer being farther ahead in the draw, the whole thing struck me as curious.  

Here all these players are racing onto the court, trying to get their matches in, and Nadal is on the third day of playing the same match.

Then I had this notion, "You know, Nadal's slow-play style of delay-delay-delay is being punished here."  

You could send out for iced tea and finish half of it before Nadal is good and ready to play each point.  

So maybe this kind of predicament had to happen sooner or later, given his style of play.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 09:28:41 AM »
According to Cahill, Soderling is continueing to try and get in Nadal's head.
Nadal is well known to always want to be the last player onto the court, and his warm up routine, like everything else is also regimented. He apperently never takes his volleys until his opponent takes his volleys.
So Soderling sat in the locker room and out waited Nadal. He sat there and wouldn't get up until Nadal got up, wouldn't come on court until Nadal went on first. He didn't come to the net until Nadal came to the net. So the players hit groundies for about 4 of the 5 minutes before Nadal finally came in took his volleys. I think he was talking about yesterday when they began play with Soderling 0-2 down.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 11:36:22 AM »
Well all the taunting didn't pay off, Nadal won the final set 7-5. Hopefully they can get the other matches finished quickly, so I can see great tennis on Friday!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 01:02:42 PM »
Quote from: "murrayfan11"
Well all the taunting didn't pay off, Nadal won the final set 7-5. Hopefully they can get the other matches finished quickly, so I can see great tennis on Friday!!!

Nadal came in for a talk with Chris Fowler (interesting that Brad Gilbert, Pat McEnroe and Daren Cahill were all not present, you have to believe that was at either Nadal or his handler's request). He said Soderling continued mocking his habits through out the final stages of the match, such as mimicking Nadal's fist pump. Nadal said Soderling was too much into what Nadal as doing and not enough his own business. He also said Soderling didn't acknowledge when he got a lucky shot like a shot off the net cord. Finally, when it came time to shake hands Soderling made a gesture. He repeated the gesture, but did it so that it wasn't shown on camera.
In the end Soderling seem to really show a lot of imaturity. One mocking gesture was enough, but I think he went too far with his mocking.
But then we haven't heard Soderling's side of the story yet.

An ambition fulfilled