Author Topic: 2 rackets in high school/USTA tennis?  (Read 4760 times)

Offline ballinator

• Tennis Player
2 rackets in high school/USTA tennis?
« on: July 07, 2007, 06:04:10 PM »
Do you think it would be good to have 2 nice racquets?? Right now I just have the one, and my parents think I should get another just incase something happened to it. Well, my birthday is in just a few days, so should I ask for that??

Offline tennisplayer89

• Tennis Player
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
If your even remotely serious about tennis, you need to have at least two racquets. You have to have at least two racquets. What if you break your strings during a match and need another racquet? You can't just forfeit or borrow someone's racquet. A second racquet is a must have if you are even a little bit serious.[/b][/i]
If you need extra help with your tennis game or just need to talk with another player then visit these tennis forums and help site.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 07:01:23 PM »
I think it is very important to have (2) of the same racquet and I will also go as far to say that they should be strung with the same string at the same tension.  Some players like to have a racquet strung tighter or looser for various reasons, in that case I still say have two of the same and them an extra which is different.

As you continue to get better you will start breaking strings and more often.  The last thing you want is to be in the middle of an important match and break a string and be stuck with a different racquet and one you are not use to.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ballinator

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »
yea, i'm pretty serious about tennis and I can hit it hard and with a lot of spin, so I guess I should definately get another one.(plus I do tend to throw my racket..lol)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 08:04:08 PM »
Quote from: "ballinator"
yea, i'm pretty serious about tennis and I can hit it hard and with a lot of spin, so I guess I should definately get another one.(plus I do tend to throw my racket..lol)

I replied to this question in your journal, but if you hit hard with spin, you should have a second racquet. Not a backup racquet, like so many people have, a second racquet. The same brand, model and strung the same way.
You should also rotate your racquets so that you wear the string out evenly. Unless you use natural gut your strings will lose tension and eventually feel different over time, and also with hitting. By rotating the racquets you will keep them evenly matched and there won't be a difference in tension when you do break a string.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline ballinator

• Tennis Player
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 08:07:04 PM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

You should also rotate your racquets so that you wear the string out evenly. Unless you use natural gut your strings will lose tension and eventually feel different over time, and also with hitting. By rotating the racquets you will keep them evenly matched and there won't be a difference in tension when you do break a string.

that's a good idea... i've never even thought of that.

Offline ballinator

• Tennis Player
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 08:39:29 PM »
also, the racket i'm planning on getting is very very similar to my racket. just a newer version.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 03:46:12 AM »
I've never had 2 the same, but I usually have at least 3 rackets with small differences depending on how I want to play a match. For example, if I feel I need a lot of power to compete with a stronger opponent, I'll use my Head Nano Ti.S2, but if I'm up against a quick person who needs to be worked around the court and to avouid unforced errors, I'll use my Head Radical.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:08:58 AM »

I replied to this question in your journal, but if you hit hard with spin, you should have a second racquet. Not a backup racquet, like so many people have, a second racquet. The same brand, model and strung the same way.

I do not rotate racquets at all.  For one I break strings quick enough that the strings are the same when I go from a broken string to a new racquet.  If I was to rotate racquets I would raise the risk of breaking (2) strings in one match and then being out of racquets, I would need more than 2 racquets to rotate.
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"

I do not rotate racquets at all.  For one I break strings quick enough that the strings are the same when I go from a broken string to a new racquet.  If I was to rotate racquets I would raise the risk of breaking (2) strings in one match and then being out of racquets, I would need more than 2 racquets to rotate.

Well, if you are breaking strings that fast, then it's no big deal. You might think about switching to a poly or hybrid and see if that lasts.  I think you tried my Thin Blend and didn't like it. But that has a very dead overall feel to it. Poly has the longevity of Kevlar, but has some life to it as well. Or are you already using a poly?

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »
I am using Topspin by CyberFlash
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I am using Topspin by CyberFlash

How about CyberFlash by Topspin?  :whistle:

What gauge?

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 09:01:23 AM »
It comes in 15, 16 17 and thin 17 (1.25 & 1.20 mm respectively). I don't know which you use, but you might try a thicker gauge.
Nadal, for instance, uses 15 gauge, or 1.35mm DuraLast (he if you believe the adverts 15 gauge Hurricane Tour ..-) ).

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
Re: 2 rackets in high school/USTA tennis?
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »
Do you think it would be good to have 2 nice racquets?? Right now I just have the one, and my parents think I should get another just incase something happened to it. Well, my birthday is in just a few days, so should I ask for that??

Yes, you should get atleast two of the exact same racquet you have now.  Think about it, you've been grinding out a whole match, you are in the third set and a string breaks.  Poof there go your chances.  Definitly good to have a backup

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 12:34:15 PM »
i have 2 identical rackets (n6-1 95) and i just got a n6-1 tour to hit around for fun and for extreme emergencies, since i dont have a stringing machine at home anymore.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 02:29:41 PM »
If we're talking tournaments I like to have about 5-6 sticks with 4 strung at the same tension and with identical modifications, while having 2 strung at slightly different tension depending on the enviormental conditions. For practice sessions 2 is enough.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline ballinator

• Tennis Player
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 08:09:16 PM »
is it ok to have my 2nd racquet be the same brand and everything, just a newer version, with the same strings?? right now I have the babolat racquet that Nadal used as of like a month or 2 ago, and I want my backup to be the one he's using now... so they're similar, and the same strings, but not the EXACT same racquet

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 09:49:25 AM »
is it ok to have my 2nd racquet be the same brand and everything, just a newer version, with the same strings?? right now I have the babolat racquet that Nadal used as of like a month or 2 ago, and I want my backup to be the one he's using now... so they're similar, and the same strings, but not the EXACT same racquet

This is what I have since I broke one of my frames and got a replacement that is just slightly different.  There are small differences in my 2 frames which I notice when immediately switching, but after a short while I am used to the one I am then playing with.  It works for me and especially since I am not making money playing tennis or anything, though it is certainly not the recommended way to go.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 09:51:32 AM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"

This is what I have since I broke one of my frames and got a replacement that is just slightly different.  There are small differences in my 2 frames which I notice when immediately switching, but after a short while I am used to the one I am then playing with.  It works for me and especially since I am not making money playing tennis or anything, though it is certainly not the recommended way to go.

A little lead tape can fix you right up. :H

An ambition fulfilled

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 11:17:09 AM »
You definitely need two racquets at least. having the same kind is an added benefit but regardless you should have two racquets. In fact I think sometimes if they are different it helps because sometimes you just might not be 'feeling' it with one and be fine with the other - so they should be similar.

Now I have a Question.. on racquets.

So I have three racquets, two of the same kind and one different but a slightly similar racquet.  Now that one of them has a crack (the one of which I have another) I doubt many stringers would string it and it'll probably get worse if I kept using it. Its my first ever racquet so I'll just keep it as a souvenier so I can look back after winning all those Wimbledons and USOpens and..
I digress.

So I have two racquets now, both different enough that an immediate switch will result in poor gameplay but similar enough that a set or two and I am comfortable with either. But its been a long time goal of mine to switch to a different racquet, something a bit heavier, something that's headlight, a slightly smaller head size.. basically I have been looking at the nsix-one95 for a long time now and I want to get it or something like that. So what do you guys suggest I do? Cuz then I'll have three different racquets. I have played with a racquet similar to the wilson nsix-one95  and I do think that it really does help my game a lot and with some getting used to and playing with it, I can play much sharper. Only the serve speed might go down a bit but I can make up for that with a better serve no problem.

So any suggestions? Also keep in mind I am not too keen on spending 200$ on two racquets and letting the two I have now sit aside cuz.. I don't know. I'd like to buy one play with it and then buy a second of the same one.. I guess I should do that then. That'd be my suggestion to myself in any case..