Author Topic: Stripping Roddick of 2003 U.S open, year-end #1 good idea!  (Read 2032 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Stripping Roddick of 2003 U.S open, year-end #1 good idea!
« on: February 23, 2005, 02:37:50 PM »
There was clear cheating by officials at the U.S open in Roddick's favor.    I always thought they should change his result to a semifinal loss to Nalbandian since there was clear violations in that match, and the tournament in general with regards to rules, umpiring, scheduling, etc...that make a Nalbandian win the obvious result.   Have Ferrero and Nalbandian replay the final with the winner getting the U.S open trophy, the loser the runner up.    If Ferrero wins have him take the year-end #1,
if he loses to Nalbandian give Ferrero the year-end #2 and Federer the year-end #1, since the points total would conclude in such a way depending on the result.   Strip Roddick of his ITF and ATP titles in 2003, and give them both to Ferrero should he beat Nalbandian, Federer should Ferrero lose to Nalbandian.   I know they would never do this since they dont have the balls to do the right thing, but since there was obvious cheating at the 2003 U.S open they really should!

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »
I missed the match, what was the cheating?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline maranatha tennis

• Tennis Enthusiast
    • http://www.maranathatennis2000.com
where do you find these people?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:11:46 PM »
LOL

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 03:21:15 PM »
Well thats a little harsh. What about last years Serena/Jen incident? It happens. Oz this year was full of crappy calls everywhere! Kims gotten screwed in calls and umps before.
Its all good...

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 03:26:37 PM »
In the 3rd set tiebreak there was a horrendous call, and a man screaming out in the middle of a point that was not replayed.   Yet Roddick still only won the tiebreaker by the skin of his teeth.   Plus there  was scheduling manipulation, and other manipulation by officials all tournament long.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 12:56:53 AM »
i agree with what kitten25 says there was a enormous amount of cheating right throughout that tournament. that semi final result for me cost juan carlos his second grand slam of the year and also the year end number 1 ranking :(  :-o
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 04:12:36 AM »
I agree there was some cheating in that semifinal match and the tournament.  For instance, play got pretty much washed out on the 2nd Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at the Open.  Though Juan Carlos, Fed, and Nalbandian were scheduled to play their 4th round matches BEFORE Roddick on that Tuesday, the officials cancelled every singles match yet allowed A-ROD to play his match once the weather improved.  

The Open rained out once again on Wednesday giving Roddick some more time before his quarterfinal match on Friday while Juan Carlos had to play a five set 4th rounder against Todd Martin on Thursday, a 4 setter against Hewitt on Friday, and another 4 setter against Agassi on Saturday.  Roddick meanwhile got two days off before playing his QF match against crappy Sjeng Schalken on Friday.  So if Nalbandian somehow got to the final as well, he would've had to play Federer on Thursday, El Aynaoui on Friday, Roddick on Saturday, then the final the next day.  

I used to think how Wimbledon tried to rig their tournament (terrible line calls and easy draws) in Henman's favor was despicable.  The 2003 US Open remains as one of the sketchiest tourneys in completely altering it in Roddick's favor.  [/b]

Offline Hoytie

• Tennis God
  • My British Blue Shorthair, Joshua, a Tennis Fan.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 10:37:57 AM »
Yes.  The scheduling was horrendous at the 2003 US Open.  It surely did favor Mr. RodDick.  Who knows what would have been otherwise.  Look at it this way.  It will probably be Andy's only Grand Slam win (or at least that what Brad Gilbert's wish is).

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 02:21:23 PM »
I must say Andy was a bust. Hes a solid top tener but nothin more. He wont ever get to 1 agaim unless Fed, Lleyton, Marat all quit or get hurt. And even then it will be tough. He needed Brad but if Andy wanted to fire him then they must not have been on the best of terms and thats not good. Andy needs some help, his net game he goes for the big shots too much and his serve wont win him every point. He needs to get faster. What makes Roger so amazing is his footwork and speed, hes able to get to the ball and set it up enough to hit it.
Its all good...

Offline maranatha tennis

• Tennis Enthusiast
    • http://www.maranathatennis2000.com
cheating?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 07:32:50 PM »
What are you guys smoking?

Cheating is what YOU guys do! These players DO NOT make their own calls you goofballs. So, that is NOT cheating by any stretch of the imagination.

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 08:03:15 PM »
Nobody is saying Andy cheated.  He just got some favorable calls and scheduling in that 03 Open.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 09:57:43 AM »
Technically, Andy didn't cheat, but there was definitely some stuff going on.  The people of the US Open certainly seemed to be doing almost everything in their power to give their young American hope the biggest advantage possible.  I guess technically they can't cheat either, because in a way they dictate the rules, and they seemed to be changing them as they went.  

On one hand, tennis players probably need to understand that in order for tennis to become more popular, at least such things as the match order needs shuffling occasionally to increase viewership.  

On the other hand, Ferrero and/or Nalbandian could justifiably think that the tournament organizers were doing everything they could to put them in the weakest position possible.  

Just more gray, man.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 04:36:04 PM »
On one hand, tennis players probably need to understand that in order for tennis to become more popular, at least such things as the match order needs shuffling occasionally to increase viewership.  

More to the point ... in order for tennis to make more money for themselves and their sponsors ......

It's a sad state for professional tennis

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 08:35:40 PM »
Quote from: "euroka1"
More to the point ... in order for tennis to make more money for themselves and their sponsors ......

It's a sad state for professional tennis
They're not mutually exclusive goals.  I've read that a lot of tournaments barely break even due to appearance fees, lackluster ticket sales, and limited television coverage.  Raising a players visibility benefits everybody.  e.g. the more the public is aware of and interested in a player, the more money they can make in endorsements.  

Sports is character driven.  Sure, the hardcore fan will watch no matter what but the whole point of increasing tennis' popularity is to not preach to the choir.  Fact is, if the average American might tune in to watch Roddick, Agassi, Serena, Venus, and even Capriati and Maria S, but they're not going to tune in to watch Myskina, Coria, Ferrero, or even Safin or Federer.  

We've gotta do a switch and bait.  Attract them with Agassi, a Wiliams, or Roddick, then maybe they can temporarily go to court X to watch a tight match between Jose Blow and Radek Whothefonkishe.  

We're gotta get people interested in tennis players as people.  They've gotta start thinking up of ways.

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 08:56:13 PM »
very true except for Safin. I have friends that know nothing about tennis and the guys that play sports and in general the guys know him. Mostly for pulling his pants down and the girls know him too, becuase of his looks. They see a clip on the news or sportscenter and they decide to check it out. But it is sad because ESPN will only show aAmericans. DUring Oz thats all i could see before 10. There would be a close match between unknown players but they show Andy beating some guy at love.
Its all good...

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 09:37:29 PM »
Quote from: "MC ill Logic"

We're gotta get people interested in tennis players as people.  They've gotta start thinking up of ways.

Better still, get them out on the tennis court. For many of us tennis is the most wonderful social game and we need to spread word of this, too.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 03:23:10 AM »
Quote from: "Betsmoyo"
very true except for Safin. I have friends that know nothing about tennis and the guys that play sports and in general the guys know him. Mostly for pulling his pants down and the girls know him too, becuase of his looks. They see a clip on the news or sportscenter and they decide to check it out. But it is sad because ESPN will only show aAmericans. DUring Oz thats all i could see before 10. There would be a close match between unknown players but they show Andy beating some guy at love.
You have good friends, because I can guarantee that almost everybody at my job doesn't know who Safin or Federer is.  Ditto for my non-tennis playing friends.  Just saying that in America, Roddick and Agassi's names are well know, much more recognizable than that of Roger and Marat.

I think it sucks that they don't show the best matches and simply those of the most famous American players -- talking about ESPN here -- but what are you going to do?  Television is all about ratings/advertising dollars.  Likewise, if you're showing the Tour de France on ABC, you damn well better show Lance Armstrong if he's riding.  Sure a hardcore fan is going to be like "hey, Fernando Whoeverpadre is the greatest cyclist for this segment" or whatever they call it, but the casual watcher wants to see Lance Armstrong.  It's just like that.

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »
I agree that Andy Roddick got his matches played on schedule when everybody else had to wat because of the rain.  USA wanted his match and they made every effort to have it in prime time.  Some line calls seem to go his way also.  When he hits a ball that goes out of bounds by a little bit where it id hard to tell may not call if out unless his opponent stops play and argues.  If his opponent returns the ball they will not calll it out figurring if it was close enough to hit hit it was close enogh to be in bounds.

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 07:26:38 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
I agree that Andy Roddick got his matches played on schedule when everybody else had to wat because of the rain.  USA wanted his match and they made every effort to have it in prime time.  Some line calls seem to go his way also.  When he hits a ball that goes out of bounds by a little bit where it id hard to tell may not call if out unless his opponent stops play and argues.  If his opponent returns the ball they will not calll it out figurring if it was close enough to hit hit it was close enogh to be in bounds.

Not only did his matches get played on schedule, but also put ahead of everyone else's before the rain got worse.

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 07:36:16 PM »
Regarding this whole tennis and popularity of the game stuff...

I'm going to say that golf is very well advertised.  Sure the majority of PGA tourneys are played in the US and all but the game is marketed towards "true" golf fans.  They deservingly market the heck out of Tiger Woods in order to increase numbers in viewership but he isn't marketed at the expense of the other golfers.  In tennis, Andy Roddick is marketed at the expense of covering other interesting foreign players.  Even before Vijay Singh became no. 1, you could hear his name all the time on sportscenter.  They also marketed other international guys such as Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia, Mike Weir, etc.

Yes you have to get people into the game as much as possible but it's dumb to put all of your eggs in one basket, which US tennis advertisers have done.  If Tiger Woods happens to fade away from contention in a Major, ratings would still be high because the media seems to market as many golfers whether American born or international as possible.  If Andy Roddick fails to advance deep into a grand slam, ratings will plummet because networks such as ESPN suck bananas at preparing for the inevitable or having a backup plan.  I wish HBO or TNT got to air Wimbledon again while USA reclaimed the rights to show the French.  Those networks and CBS are good.  ESPN and NBC bad ||-|