Author Topic: Connors Fair Play  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Connors Fair Play
« on: July 11, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »
This cracks me up.

Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 04:46:35 PM »
Lets see what Freebird has to say about this!?   ||-|

Offline boatsign

• Tennis Enthusiast
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 05:41:28 PM »
Hingis got penalized for that...

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Lets see what Freebird has to say about this!?   ||-|

Well for starters, I think it's illegal to go to the other side of the net.  Anyone know if that was a rule in '77, or was that rule created based on this play?  As for the rest of it, well it was pretty obnoxious, but Hawkeye showed that the call was the right one  :)~

Anyway, I've never argued that Connors was a saint - far from it.  I will argue that the guy had as much fight as just about anyone in the history of the game, and for that I admire him tremendously.  As an old guy in his mid 30's when I started following the game, he was an easy guy for me to be a fan of - lefty, 2 handed backhand, a recognizable name, and very personable by that time in his career.  I do wonder what I would've thought if I'd been around during his younger years, when I'm guessing he might've reminded me of Hewitt.  I'd love to watch some of the matches to see :)
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 07:24:20 PM »
It is certainly illegal to go to the other side of the net which is why I am going to go ahead and deduct OSU's running shot around the net post for a winner last Wed.  He was totally on our side of the net after he hit that shot.  How ride.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 08:35:35 PM »
wow, thanks for sharing this. I cannot believe he did that. I dont know much about Connors, did he do these kinds of things regularly during his time of play?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
Conners did seem to be having a bit of a laugh in doing that, though his opponent didn't think it was very funny. Conners was pretty much a win at all costs kind of a guy.
I don't think it's 'illegal' to go to the other side of the net. It's not sportsmanlike. It's not done unless it's from momentum (Scott!), but I doubt it's illegal. I'd have to find a rule book to know for sure though.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:02:35 AM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
It is certainly illegal to go to the other side of the net which is why I am going to go ahead and deduct OSU's running shot around the net post for a winner last Wed.  He was totally on our side of the net after he hit that shot.  How ride.  :)

There'll be no taking away that point my friend!   ;-()   It is forever etched in our tennis history!   ;)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »
It was funny. He shouldn't have gotten that point (if he did that is) but it sure was a good laugh.

here's a point..

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
That is extremely unfair play, there's a rule now about if you rub off a mark from the court, the point is the opponents, not sure if they had this rule back then.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 04:25:31 PM »
I can't believe just how tight and short their shorts were  ;;). Since the ball was in I think he thought he'd get a laugh by doing this but seemed to realize soon after that he went too far. Can you imagine anyone doing something like that in todays game? They would never live it down. I only remember Connors when he was nearing retirement, I remember as a kid I used to say I wanted my backhand to be like his. I don't remember much about his personality but I do remember John McEnroe writing about how much of a spazz he could be.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »
Quote from: "Pacer92110"
I can't believe just how tight and short their shorts were  ;;). Since the ball was in I think he thought he'd get a laugh by doing this but seemed to realize soon after that he went too far. Can you imagine anyone doing something like that in todays game? They would never live it down. I only remember Connors when he was nearing retirement, I remember as a kid I used to say I wanted my backhand to be like his. I don't remember much about his personality but I do remember John McEnroe writing about how much of a spazz he could be.

I like the way he tried to ignore the umpire. 'Mr Conners...  Mr. Conners....  ' and he just looks at the ground as if he's trying to get ready to serve.
You can tell the way he ambled back after he brushed the marks away he was having a laugh, but as you said, realized he'd really goofed and wanted to just get on with things.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 10:23:45 PM »
Quote from: "pawan89"
It was funny. He shouldn't have gotten that point (if he did that is) but it sure was a good laugh.

here's a point.. http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=gTicn2IU6iQ&

Great point. Thanks for sharing Pawan   :H

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
Connors Fair Play
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 01:14:24 PM »
Quote from: "pawan89"

here's a point.. http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=gTicn2IU6iQ&

Thanks pawan, spectacular, the opponent needs to learn how to put it away!