Instructional Tennis > Tennis Journals

Monster

<< < (243/246) > >>

monstertruck:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on November 09, 2013, 04:51:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: monstertruck on November 09, 2013, 09:54:38 AM ---Here it is Nov. 9 and I finally made it back on court.
Totally consumed by work.
Nice to take a break and get some dubs in.
We got slaughtered by 2 decent players 6-1 6-1.
The rust is heavy on my game and I dragged my partner lower than usual.
Mini resurrection in the third set as we made it to 3-3.  I finally held using a bit more pace on my serve than in the first 2 sets.  Always a little scary hitting out before properly warmed up.  We also managed to take the TB with a few gifts from our opponents.  Not a complete loss.  No injuries, had fun, hit some decent shots which reminded the other fellers that I'm not a complete hacker. :rofl_2:  On again for next Sat. morn!  Love this indoor clay court, the humidity feels awesome. :))

--- End quote ---

That's the important stuff.  :))
Glad to read you're back.  :coffee:
I'm getting back but slower than hoped. Played this morning outdoors through the falling leaves.  :gleam:

--- End quote ---
Thanks E!
I used to be hyper competitve and now I'm just thankful to get out on the court.

Good to hear you are still whacking the ball and outside to boot!
If I remember right, you'll be able to a few more weeks outdoors.  Awesome!

Jamesdster:

--- Quote from: monstertruck on November 09, 2013, 10:17:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: euroka1 on November 09, 2013, 04:51:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: monstertruck on November 09, 2013, 09:54:38 AM ---Here it is Nov. 9 and I finally made it back on court.
Totally consumed by work.
Nice to take a break and get some dubs in.
We got slaughtered by 2 decent players 6-1 6-1.
The rust is heavy on my game and I dragged my partner lower than usual.
Mini resurrection in the third set as we made it to 3-3.  I finally held using a bit more pace on my serve than in the first 2 sets.  Always a little scary hitting out before properly warmed up.  We also managed to take the TB with a few gifts from our opponents.  Not a complete loss.  No injuries, had fun, hit some decent shots which reminded the other fellers that I'm not a complete hacker. :rofl_2:  On again for next Sat. morn!  Love this indoor clay court, the humidity feels awesome. :))

--- End quote ---

That's the important stuff.  :))
Glad to read you're back.  :coffee:
I'm getting back but slower than hoped. Played this morning outdoors through the falling leaves.  :gleam:

--- End quote ---
Thanks E!
I used to be hyper competitve and now I'm just thankful to get out on the court.

Good to hear you are still whacking the ball and outside to boot!
If I remember right, you'll be able to a few more weeks outdoors.  Awesome!

--- End quote ---

Glad to see you are both still whacking the ball around.  MT, allow me to steal your quote: "I used to be hyper competitve and now I'm just thankful to get out on the court."  Although I still get up for SOME matches (e.g., USTA league matches; tournies) I have to pick and choose.  I have no wheels AT ALL.  I have a bad knee, hip, back and foot and they all effect me - duh.  Thank you Advil and Ibuprofen for letting me play 2 hrs of dubs.  Now days I can no longer get a racket on some balls that used to land in my back pocket but I do enjoy getting on the court.  I still hang with decent serves and forehands but that's about all I have.  Scott, OSUbuckeye and I all all play on the same 4.5 USTA team and we do pretty well.

monstertruck:
Use the quote at your leisure. :))

It's been quite a progression for me over the years.
I won't say I'm content, but I have learned to accept my limitations.
Perhaps with a bit more play and some cross-training (and less BBQ!!!) I can at least regain most of my serve and tune up me volleys.

Am still a bit sore after Saturday's 'match' and I didn't play very hard.
Was content to roll serves in for the first hour before hitting at about 75% pace.  I was punished severely for it, but took it like a man.  As soon as I upped the pace I was getting a much nicer look at a second shot. 

On again for next Saturday a.m. minus Grasshopper.
I wonder who I'll be 'dragging down' on that day! :rofl_2:

monstertruck:
Sat. a.m. dubs on the indoor clay again! :))
Partnered with Paulie the Weenie.
Dude has great hands at the net.
He carried us to a quick 5-2 lead in the first set which we eventually lost 5-7 :paper bag:
Dropped the second set at love as both opponents found the range on serve and they continued to punish my weak deliveries.
Was able to get the serve up to 50% effectiveness in the final 1/2 hour.
Generated some nice floaters for Paulie to pound.
Perhaps there is hope after all......

monstertruck:
Thurs. eve dubs on indoor hard courts.
Clutzy in the warm up and first set.
Found some heat on the serve after an hour or so which yielded some nice sitters for Grasshopper.  Too bad he' not a 'real' put-away guy.
Neither am I, so we make for a pretty lame doubles team.
Caught a few reflex volleys which reminded the other team that I 'used to be able to play tennis'.
We'll see how long I can suffer through this humiliation before I give up and go back to ice-fishing and BBQ.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version