Author Topic: Monster  (Read 107539 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:51:14 PM »
Well, here it is:

Level     4.0
Age       44
Height    6' 0"
Weight   270-290 depending on what I had for lunch! ;;)
Right-handed with one hand backhand.

Style of play-  Chameleon.  I will do whatever it takes to win.  Prefer to attack, but can counter-punch and retrieve all day when I'm at my fighting weight.

Strengths-  Problem-solving.  I will find your weakness and exploit it mercilessly.
                 Mental toughness.  You are not a charity and I will not donate points to your
                                             cause.  I will apply constant pressure every point of the
                                             match until I break you.
Weaknesses-  Overweight and sometimes over-zealous.  Working on the weight thingy,
                     the other part is a double-edged sword.
Favorite shot-  the "Monster Mash" of course! :yahoo:

Currently playing 2-3 times a week, usually singles and doubles in the same outing.
Looking to shed a few pounds and play in the local city tournament in mid-Sept. this year.

Have "coached" a few players and helped out with the local high school tennis teams.
Am considering (for the second time) getting USPTA certified over the coming winter, so that I can better share my love of the game with others.

Also working with a player looking to make the leap from 3.5 to 4.5 over the next 2 years.
Lesson every 2 weeks with drills at least once a week.  Hoping to help build another nice player for our upper level doubles group.

Wife is gone for 2 days, guess what I'll be doing?
Hit drills for 1.5 hours this a.m., then played a set with the "pupil".
Hoping to hit some hot dubs tonight.
Same plan for tomorrow a.m.
Hoping to hit some dubs tonight.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Monster
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 01:02:07 PM »
Sweet, the long-awaited arrival of your journal!   :uh:  :H      Are you jobless, or work at home, that you can play tennis as often as you seem to?    Keep us updated on happenings!   :)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
Quote from: "OSU Buckeye"
Sweet, the long-awaited arrival of your journal!   :uh:  :H      Are you jobless, or work at home, that you can play tennis as often as you seem to?    Keep us updated on happenings!   :)

Self-employed with an understanding wife! ://
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Monster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »
Quote from: "monstertruck"

Self-employed with an understanding wife! ://

Sweet, the bi-fecta!  I guess!?   ||-|

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:41:01 PM »
Dubs didn't pan out so I hit singles with the rabbit, old man Dan for 2.5 hours.  He's 10 years older than I am and 10 times as fast!
Dropped 2 sets 6-4, 6-3 then won 3 out of 5 tie breakers.
No gas left in the tank at the start, feet were glued to the court.
My inside out forehand was the only shot that consistently won me points but it is oh so much work setting up for it.
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:33:42 AM »
2 hours of drills this a.m. followed by a set with "the pupil".
Managed to come back from down 2-4 to take the set 6-4.
I think I got my 4th wind in the 7th game.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Monster
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 08:47:49 AM »

Sweet, you are one lucky mo-fo to be playing morning and evening..........I am truly jealous!

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Monster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 09:06:49 AM »

Sweet, you are one lucky mo-fo to be playing morning and evening..........I am truly jealous!

You've got no reason to be jealous mister!  :ranting:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Monster
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 09:13:30 AM »
Quote from: "dmastous"

You've got no reason to be jealous mister!  :ranting:

I guess you are right, especially given some others conditions!?   :whistle:

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:32:33 PM »

No luck at all, it's by design.
I used to work all the time and had more money than any fool could spend.
Now I have just enough cash, and all the time in the world.

It's amazing what a few deaths in the immediate family will do for your perspective on life.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Monster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 01:58:21 PM »

No luck at all, it's by design.
I used to work all the time and had more money than any fool could spend.
Now I have just enough cash, and all the time in the world.

It's amazing what a few deaths in the immediate family will do for your perspective on life.

Well, then kudos to you for prioritizing your life better!   :)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Connection made
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 06:27:11 AM »
Many thanks to DMast for making the trip up to hit yesterday!
From first appearances, he must have had quite a laugh, what with the colorful gettup
complete with Crocs! :lmao!:
Hope you found your size DM and had some good mex food on our beautiful main street.  Sorry I couldn't join you, as you saw yesterday, I'm not a fellow that misses many meals.

Now to the tennis...

Let me tell you, this guy has got some strokes!!! :H   I have never faced a slice backhand with so much bite and his top has a bit more top than I'm used to.  Once at net, volleys are solid as a rock and the reach is tremendous.  You'd swear this guy is 8 to 9 feet tall!
Multiple aces were struck with ease with a few double faults sprinkled in for good measure.
As we discussed, there are certainly some footwork issues that need to be addressed which would certainly improve groundstroke consistentcy.
At his current level of play I would certainly enjoy having him as a doubles partner and would look forward to the challenge of playing against him!
With just a bit more regular play, I'm sure any inconsistency in the groundies would drop rapidly and the singles strategy could be developed.

I think we both agreed that we prefer indoor play in a controlled environment versus a bit of sun and wind.

Gottago!  Off for some earlier Sun. a.m. tennis with the rabbit!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Monster
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 06:52:47 AM »
Yeah, he covers a lot of net, and that is without moving to do so, when he moves you pretty much can't find an opening.  I remember him having a mean forehand volley that he slaps down the line.  Yeah, I said slaps, he had a little too much racquet movement on the volley which forced him to miss a few but he sure connected with a few as well, there is no getting to that shot when he does.

I do not remember his backhand slice but I do recall his groundies were solid.  He has been down here twice and I have hit with him.  I think he is coming down here again soon and we will get some dubs in this time.  I always love the dubs.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 10:10:27 AM »
2 hours of drills this a.m. followed by a set in which I lost 6-4 to my "student".
He played steady and was hitting out on all of his shots.
I just couldn't keep up.
Usually I can beat him in the consistency dept. but not today.  He was firing on all cylinders and the Monster Truck was out of gas! :crying:  
I guess he was inspired by a straight set loss to a pusher in a clay court tourney yesterday.  A 2 hour 45 min. marathon which he lost 4-6, 2-6.  He said most rallys lasted at least 15 shots per player!!! ||-|
No wonder he was swinging away today!
CONK da ball!!!

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 10:51:41 AM »
2 hours of drills this a.m. followed by a set in which I lost 6-4 to my "student".
I just couldn't keep up.
Usually I can beat him in the consistency dept. but not today.  He was firing on all cylinders and the Monster Truck was out of gas! :crying:  
I guess he was inspired by a straight set loss to a pusher in a clay court tourney yesterday.  A 2 hour 45 min. marathon which he lost 4-6, 2-6.  He said most rallys lasted at least 15 shots per player!!! ||-|

Got tired of chasing all those errant backhands of mine did you?

An ambition fulfilled

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
I just couldn't keep up.

Never!!! ;-()
I can't wait to see that slice backhand once you get it dialed in! That shot was awesome.:worthy:
Too bad you don't like the grass...that shot wouldn't bounce at all, just hit and roll!
CONK da ball!!!

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 12:22:27 PM »
I just couldn't keep up.

Never!!! ;-()
I can't wait to see that slice backhand once you get it dialed in! That shot was awesome.:worthy:
Too bad you don't like the grass...that shot wouldn't bounce at all, just hit and roll!

Ah well, the slices weren't too errant, They usually go where I intend them, the slice misses mostly hit the tape. I'm talking about the topspin backhands which can really be erratic. Maybe I'd like grass better if I played doubles on it. I've only hit groundies on it, and that was mostly frustrating.
I sometimes think my arms are too long for a one handed topspin backhand. It might be worthwhile to experiment with a two hander again. I haven't hit backhands two handed in 15 years or so.
As for the volleys, I don't think I hit them well, but I agree I have more swing on the forehand than I should, but mostly when the ball is at or near the shoulders. With practice, I'll get the timing back and it won't be a problem.
Yes, I did find the Crocs! I got the same ones you have at Ted's (brown) and a pair of black sandals at Dick's. But I have to say the Mexican food was pretty dissapointing. No Enchiladas, a bad taco and OK rice with runny refried beans.  :yuk:
Thanks for the positive comments on my game, wish half were deserved. Yes, with practice I may get back 60 or 70%, but not much more than that.
You've got a very studied and consistant game. You hit a nice little running crosscourt passing shot that I'm sure Federer would have been happy with (only a slight exaggeration). I wish I had that kind of dependable control.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Monster
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 07:56:35 PM »
I am pumped you guys got to meet up and play!   Now, MT you have to come to Columbus and hit with us and go to the Cincy tourney!   ;-()  :whistle:

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 08:02:53 PM »
O Buck that's a mighty long haul for the Monster Truck, though it would be a blast! :H
DMast and I against you and Scotty?

Any chance of you guys comin' east for the Open?
Am so ticked I missed Sampras in Schenectady last week, I may go for a tourney tri-fecta this fall-
  Gibson tourney Newport, RI
  Pilot Penn Hartford CT
  US Open

In reality I may get to 2 out of the 3.

Anytime you guys get "back east" give a holla and we'll make it happen.
CONK da ball!!!

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 08:13:56 PM »
I am pumped you guys got to meet up and play!   Now, MT you have to come to Columbus and hit with us and go to the Cincy tourney!   ;-()  :whistle:

The first half of my journey is to spend some time with you guys and play some tennis. The second half is to spend time with my mom and brother. The monster may enjoy the first part, but not so much the second. He's welcome come out for the tennis though. More the merrier. Maybe we can get a couple courts of dubs going.

An ambition fulfilled