Author Topic: Monster  (Read 107383 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Monster
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
Quote from: "monstertruck"
Quote from: "dmastous"
Thanks DM!

The awls that came with my Eagnas don't even fit through the grommets.
I was hoping the pathfinder contained a hollow tube which could be slipped through from either side of the racquet.
Will hit the local hardware store to find a smaller awl and give that a try.
The PS 85s in particular are a real pain in the butt for me and as you've seen my butt ;;) , you know that's alotta pain! :-o

Do you like the Eagnas stringer? Which one do you have? I looked into them a couple years ago, but so many horror stories about them scared me off. Having talked with more stringers it sounds like they are poorly made as well.

I don't like it.
It's the Eagnas GA.  Got it in 2003 for $565.00.  The string gripper and clamps pinch the string no matter what the adjustment.  The table flexes a tad when tension is pulled.  The tools that came with it are useless :ranting: ,  I could go on and on.
Looking back I should have coughed up the cash and gotten the Neos.
That's the one lesson I've learned over the past 5 years working for myself-  do not, I repeat, do not buy chincy tools.
What are you using for a stringer?

I'm using an Ektelon Model H which has upgrades to a G. But I want to get an electronic soon. Depends on how things shake out. Topping my wish list would be a Babbelot Star 5. But I'd settle for a Star 3 that's been well taken care of.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
Thanks DM!

The awls that came with my Eagnas don't even fit through the grommets.
I was hoping the pathfinder contained a hollow tube which could be slipped through from either side of the racquet.
Will hit the local hardware store to find a smaller awl and give that a try.
The PS 85s in particular are a real pain in the butt for me and as you've seen my butt ;;) , you know that's alotta pain! :-o

Do you like the Eagnas stringer? Which one do you have? I looked into them a couple years ago, but so many horror stories about them scared me off. Having talked with more stringers it sounds like they are poorly made as well.

I don't like it.
It's the Eagnas GA.  Got it in 2003 for $565.00.  The string gripper and clamps pinch the string no matter what the adjustment.  The table flexes a tad when tension is pulled.  The tools that came with it are useless :ranting: ,  I could go on and on.
Looking back I should have coughed up the cash and gotten the Neos.
That's the one lesson I've learned over the past 5 years working for myself-  do not, I repeat, do not buy chincy tools.
What are you using for a stringer?

I'm using an Ektelon Model H which has upgrades to a G. But I want to get an electronic soon. Depends on how things shake out. Topping my wish list would be a Babbelot Star 5. But I'd settle for a Star 3 that's been well taken care of.

The Ektelon you have is the same as the Prince Neos I think.
How do you like it?
For a manual stringer, it looks to be the top of line.

Good luck getting a Babolat! :H Those things look like they are made at NASA!  wooohoo!

Off for some 3.5 doubles tonight.  Should be good practice for the weekend.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »

The Ektelon you have is the same as the Prince Neos I think.
How do you like it?
For a manual stringer, it looks to be the top of line.

Good luck getting a Babolat! :H Those things look like they are made at NASA!  wooohoo!

Off for some 3.5 doubles tonight.  Should be good practice for the weekend.

It is the same as Ektelon was bought by Prince. :))
The Star 5 is the hottest stringer on the market. Babbelot couldn't keep up with the demand for awhile. It puts all other stringers in it's price range to shame. Though it is about $500 more than it's competition, it's still worth every penny.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2007, 10:34:27 PM »
What improvements will the Star 5 have over the machine you have now (aside from being electric/electronic)?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »
What improvements will the Star 5 have over the machine you have now (aside from being electric/electronic)?

Ah.... the improvements are too many to count.
The obvious one you pointed out. Constant pull vs lock out.  It's electronic and it moves smoothly and cleanly. The clamps are better, the stage is better, more secure. The mounting system is much more secure (6 vs 2 points), the Star 5 has 360 degree rotation. It has floating clamps instead of rail clamps (better for fan patterns like the Wilson Triad racquets).
Any further questions? :shiny:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »

The obvious one you pointed out. Constant pull vs lock out.  It's electronic and it moves smoothly and cleanly. The clamps are better, the stage is better, more secure. The mounting system is much more secure (6 vs 2 points), the Star 5 has 360 degree rotation. It has floating clamps instead of rail clamps (better for fan patterns like the Wilson Triad racquets).

Sounds like you've either seen or used one! :H
How many string jobs do you average in a month?  For me, at 5-10 per mos., I just couldn't justify a $3000+ machine as much as I would love one!  
I sure hope it works out for you. ;)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2007, 03:48:13 PM »

How many string jobs do you average in a month?  For me, at 5-10 per mos., I just couldn't justify a $3000+ machine as much as I would love one!  

I've only been doing 1 or 2 a month due to the scarcity of players (for me). Anytime I find an area where there are players it's an hour away, and it's just not feasible, though I have strung a few racquets that way. I have yet to find players that live within 15 minutes or so of my location. At least ones that are available in the AM.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »

I've only been doing 1 or 2 a month due to the scarcity of players (for me). Anytime I find an area where there are players it's an hour away, and it's just not feasible, though I have strung a few racquets that way. I have yet to find players that live within 15 minutes or so of my location. At least ones that are available in the AM.

Maybe you could use your stringing biz to attract customers/players with a bit of advertising....Just a thought.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »
Played some light doubles last night with whats left of the old Tues eve group.
A tattered group it was with rusty me being the second best player!  Still, we had a few good laughs and a couple of good points.  Several topspin lobs came off my racquet nicely for winners which is always fun as so few of the other fellas even attempt that shot.
Finished about 10:30pm and was headed for the showers when in walks a strapping young lad of 18 years.  This guy goes into a nice warm up routine and then proceeds to rack some wicked serves.  After that he thrashes the wall with forehands and backhands from about 30' working very quickly and nice and light on the feet-  now MonsterTruck is very jealous!

I offer to let him beat on me for awhile and he leaps at the chance.  We hit groundstrokes for about 15 min. or so and I am beat.  The kid has way more pace, spin, and control than I'm used to and he's quick as a mongoose!  I suggest he work on his serve and I'll try to bunt a few back.  Once again, he totally abuses me.  I must say, this is the most fun I've had on the courts in quite some time. :H   The good news in, during a chat afterwards he tells me he can't find anyone to hit with and gives me his #.   wooooohooo  Another great player to add to my list of hitting partners!!! :uh:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Monster
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »
A tattered group it was with rusty me being the second best player!  Still, we had a few good laughs and a couple of good points.  Several topspin lobs came off my racquet nicely for winners which is always fun as so few of the other fellas even attempt that shot.
Finished about 10:30pm and was headed for the showers when in walks a strapping young lad of 18 years.  This guy goes into a nice warm up routine and then proceeds to rack some wicked serves.  After that he thrashes the wall with forehands and backhands from about 30' working very quickly and nice and light on the feet-  now MonsterTruck is very jealous!

I offer to let him beat on me for awhile and he leaps at the chance.  We hit groundstrokes for about 15 min. or so and I am beat.  The kid has way more pace, spin, and control than I'm used to and he's quick as a mongoose!  I suggest he work on his serve and I'll try to bunt a few back.  Once again, he totally abuses me.  I must say, this is the most fun I've had on the courts in quite some time. :H   The good news in, during a chat afterwards he tells me he can't find anyone to hit with and gives me his #.   wooooohooo  Another great player to add to my list of hitting partners!!! :uh:

Hey, give him my card, I'd be glad for the chance to be abused. :H

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Monster
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2007, 01:10:08 PM »
Quote from: monstertruck

Hey, give him my card, I'd be glad for the chance to be abused. :H

Well, the kid made it to the singles final of the city tourney and played my buddy Steve.  They split sets and then Steve's steady serve & volley game was too much for Jake in the 3rd.  I hope to be back on the court with these gents in another month or so, playing some serious 4.0 + dubs.

My partner and I fared as expected in the Men's doubles.  We won our first round match easily and then lost to Steve and his partner (most likely the eventual champs) in the 2nd round.  Conditions outside were tough, 20mph gusts and lots of sunshine.  I guess I'm just an indoor wussy player after all.  My serve was terrible, and I couldn't find the ball for half and full volleys.  Still managed to have lots of fun though.  My partner and I did well poaching/faking and really mixing things up.  We managed to hang with the big boys the first 5 games each set but then let down eventually.

Sure is good to be out hitting the ball again.  Looking forward to lots of tennis this fall and winter and shedding a few pounds in the process.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2007, 07:58:29 AM »
Got some good doubles in on Tues. night tho' my serve was nowhere to be found.
I think I'm trying too hard and my muscles get tight from trying to overhit.
This morning, I tried focusing on balance, relaxation, and a fast swing vs. a hard swing during the serve and that seemed to help.  However, the deeper we went in our drill/game the harder I tried and it was back to the tense feeling and a big drop in 1st serve percentage / effectiveness.  It's really hard for me to stay focused on the relaxation!!! :mad1:

My volleys were off on Tues. as well.  Usually am pretty steady and have decent touch.  I missed a ton of floaters! :(  I noticed I was looking at my target instead of watching the ball into the racquet.  Worked on that this morning as well.  It really helped me to make solid contact on my groundstrokes AND volleys.  Tennis is much more enjoyable when you get that "sweet" feeling from solid contact.  Once again, balance and relaxation allowed me to focus on the ball.

Hmmmm..... seems like there's a common theme to my game improvement efforts at this time. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2007, 08:32:03 AM »
Got some good doubles in on Tues. night tho' my serve was nowhere to be found.
I think I'm trying too hard and my muscles get tight from trying to overhit.
This morning, I tried focusing on balance, relaxation, and a fast swing vs. a hard swing during the serve and that seemed to help.  However, the deeper we went in our drill/game the harder I tried and it was back to the tense feeling and a big drop in 1st serve percentage / effectiveness.  It's really hard for me to stay focused on the relaxation!!! :mad1:

My volleys were off on Tues. as well.  Usually am pretty steady and have decent touch.  I missed a ton of floaters! :(  I noticed I was looking at my target instead of watching the ball into the racquet.  Worked on that this morning as well.  It really helped me to make solid contact on my groundstrokes AND volleys.  Tennis is much more enjoyable when you get that "sweet" feeling from solid contact.  Once again, balance and relaxation allowed me to focus on the ball.

Hmmmm..... seems like there's a common theme to my game improvement efforts at this time. :))

Sounds familiar!   :whistle:   When you have been playing the game for years like we have, these seemingly small things like watching the ball as good as you can and being relaxed and balanced and in timing are what makes the small, yet very important, differences for improvement.  Anyway, keep on choogling and having fun doing it!   :king:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2007, 09:01:48 AM »
It's funny you mention this. There's an article in Tennis Life this month entitled "Federer's Secret Revealed" by Charles Benedict. Then there's highlighted text that states "I see my racquet contact the ball." That's the secret. It's not I watch the ball, not, I keep my head on the point of contact while I'm hitting the ball. It's "I see me racquet contact the ball."
He sees the ball on the racquet face.   :-o
I didn't know that was actually possible with any consistancy. If he does see his ball on the string, he's got incredible vision. We all talk about his hand-eye coordination, but how about his vision? I'll bet with that kind of vision he would be an incredible hitter in baseball.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2007, 09:19:19 AM »
It's funny you mention this. There's an article in Tennis Life this month entitled "Federer's Secret Revealed" by Charles Benedict. Then there's highlighted text that states "I see my racquet contact the ball." That's the secret. It's not I watch the ball, not, I keep my head on the point of contact while I'm hitting the ball. It's "I see me racquet contact the ball."
I didn't know that was actually possible with any consistancy. If he does see his ball on the string, he's got incredible vision. We all talk about his hand-eye coordination, but how about his vision? I'll bet with that kind of vision he would be an incredible hitter in baseball.

Yeah, its as simple as things move slower for Fed than they do for us mortals!   :whistle:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2007, 09:22:14 AM »

Yeah, its as simple as things move slower for Fed than they do for us mortals!   :whistle:

I think that about nails it.  ://

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2007, 09:39:05 AM »

Tonight when I am hitting I will try to see the ball on the racquet face!?    :Confused: :confused1: 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2007, 09:47:16 AM »

Tonight when I am hitting I will try to see the ball on the racquet face!?    :Confused: :confused1: 

I wouldn't recommend it in a match. I've tried and always end up shanking or hitting a wild shot. You have to focus on seeing the ball and you end up waiting too long and having to catch the swing up and you loose it entirely.
I've been trying for a month to change that. I've gone and hit against the wall a couple times. I've stood about 6 feet away and hit easy bump shots with a half stroke and only trying to see the ball on the strings. Sometimes it works at that speed sometimes it doesn't. But when it works, it is a revelation. You feel so much more in control of the shot.
As the article I mentioned compares it. Federer is playing T-ball while we are all playing baseball. It's just easier for him.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2007, 05:54:46 PM »

Sounds like a great article and magazine, how do you like it?

Also, I forgot to mention we did a bit of video this morning in order to catalog and review my pupils progress on the serve.  Man, was that cool!  Am looking forward to learning more about this aspect of teaching and analyzing. :gleam:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »

Sounds like a great article and magazine, how do you like it?

Also, I forgot to mention we did a bit of video this morning in order to catalog and review my pupils progress on the serve.  Man, was that cool!  Am looking forward to learning more about this aspect of teaching and analyzing. :gleam:

When I taught (and if I teach again) I used video. It's a great tool to emphasis points, and to convince people that they are doing what they say they are not, and not doing what they say they are. I used it on myself to try and work out some backhand issues as well. I found a couple flaws that I hope I've ironed out. Well probably not because that would require repetition, and Just don't get any of that.
Another use of video that I want to explore more is using as a suggestive learning tool. You get video of some pro's forehands paste that same forehand so that a student can see it about 30 times in a short span, maybe with some good music along for the ride. Or you take video of your student, pick out a shot they hit especially well, and do the same with that. They watch that shot maybe once a day, and I think they will have a better chance at retention.
As for the magazine... typical frothy tennis patter. Lots of pictures. Essentially the same as Tennis Magazine with a slightly (very slightly) different angle. This particular issue happened to have a couple good articles. The Federer's Secret one, and one on getting into the "zone" that I wanted to get into, but haven't had a chance.

An ambition fulfilled