Author Topic: Monster  (Read 110329 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Monster
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2007, 05:45:52 AM »
It's funny you mention this. There's an article in Tennis Life this month entitled "Federer's Secret Revealed" by Charles Benedict. Then there's highlighted text that states "I see my racquet contact the ball." That's the secret. It's not I watch the ball, not, I keep my head on the point of contact while I'm hitting the ball. It's "I see me racquet contact the ball."
He sees the ball on the racquet face.   :-o
I didn't know that was actually possible with any consistancy. If he does see his ball on the string, he's got incredible vision. We all talk about his hand-eye coordination, but how about his vision? I'll bet with that kind of vision he would be an incredible hitter in baseball.

Sounds like a great article and magazine, how do you like it?

Also, I forgot to mention we did a bit of video this morning in order to catalog and review my pupils progress on the serve.  Man, was that cool!  Am looking forward to learning more about this aspect of teaching and analyzing. :gleam:

When I taught (and if I teach again) I used video. It's a great tool to emphasis points, and to convince people that they are doing what they say they are not, and not doing what they say they are. Wow, you hit the nail right on the head with that comment!  That's exactly what Michael "The Student" said upon reviewing his serve.  He was speechless.I used it on myself to try and work out some backhand issues as well. I found a couple flaws that I hope I've ironed out. Well probably not because that would require repetition, and Just don't get any of that.
Another use of video that I want to explore more is using as a suggestive learning tool. You get video of some pro's forehands paste that same forehand so that a student can see it about 30 times in a short span, maybe with some good music  I think you've got a great (useful and marketable) idea here DM! :) along for the ride. Or you take video of your student, pick out a shot they hit especially well, and do the same with that. They watch that shot maybe once a day, and I think they will have a better chance at retention.
As for the magazine... typical frothy tennis patter. Lots of pictures. Essentially the same as Tennis Magazine with a slightly (very slightly) different angle. This particular issue happened to have a couple good articles. The Federer's Secret one, and one on getting into the "zone" that I wanted to get into, but haven't had a chance.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2007, 06:37:38 AM »
Finally got out again last night!  Felt good to hit the fuzzy sphere again.
Found my serve about an hour into the session.  Relaxation is the key.  The more I let go, the faster and more controlled it became.  That also helped with overheads.  Absolutley crushed 2, both sound like a bomb going off!  wooohoooo :lmao:

Round robin doubles on Tues night.  Hope I can find my serve again. :Confused:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2007, 11:01:05 AM »
Good to see you posting on your game, I was starting to worry!  Have you not been playing as much lately or just not posting on it? 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2007, 05:47:42 AM »
Not getting out as much as I'd like.  Almost broke my foot last week on the job so that slowed me down a bit too.  Toes have recovered and got a light hit in on Sunday.  Playing some 3.5 -4.5 dubs tonight which is usually a mixed bag.  It will be fun to just get out and hit at this point.  Once the weather turns here and work slows down a bit, I expect I'll get back to 3-6 times a week.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2007, 06:39:51 AM »
Round robin dubs last night outdoors.  The lighting was absolutley horrible at the local country club.  Anything above shoulder high gets lost in the glare and servers facing the outside of the courts look into a triple set of bulbs brighter than any sun ever thought of being! :mad1:
That being said, Michael and I continued to work on our communication and movement as a team.  That is going extremely well.  Lots of planned poaches on both the serve and return and better unplanned movement as a team. :)

Hopefully temps will drop soon and we'll be forced to head indoors for the Tues. night group!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »
I would rather it be very windy than too dark and bad lighting.  Bad lighting sucks!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2007, 08:12:48 PM »
4 hours of singles tonight with my buddy Dan!  wooohoooo.
Got my butt whipped by an old rabbit but still had a good time.
3-6, 2-6, 6-2, 10 pt TB 7-10.  Man he was focused tonight and me coming off a "bachelor weekend" just couldn't hang.  I crushed some serves and groundstrokes but the feet just couldn't take me to the net.  I was a bit PO'ed that he was able to return some absolute bombs on the serve and I was too slow to take advantage of the weak returns.  If I cut back on the serve about 10% the consistency and control went through the roof and I was able to rack up 1-2 aces per service game.  Still, I am searching for the totally relaxed feeling in my right arm which can deliver consistent, controled serves in the 120-130mph range.  The good news is my shoulder feels fantastic tonight! 
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »
3-6, 2-6, 6-2, 10 pt TB 7-10.  Man he was focused tonight and me coming off a "bachelor weekend" just couldn't hang.  I crushed some serves and groundstrokes but the feet just couldn't take me to the net.  I was a bit PO'ed that he was able to return some absolute bombs on the serve and I was too slow to take advantage of the weak returns.  If I cut back on the serve about 10% the consistency and control went through the roof and I was able to rack up 1-2 aces per service game.  Still, I am searching for the totally relaxed feeling in my right arm which can deliver consistent, controled serves in the 120-130mph range.  The good news is my shoulder feels fantastic tonight! 

120-130MPH??????????????   :confused1:    Holy shiite if you can achieve that range!  I can't believe that I have ever faced a serve more powerful than that range?  I know what you mean with the relaxed arm thing though!  I am still impressed that you can play that long (especially at your weight)!  If I played for 4 hours my knees would be very upset with me..............much moreso than they are already after 2 hours of playing! 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2007, 01:58:58 PM »

120-130MPH??????????????   :confused1:    Holy shiite if you can achieve that range!  I can't believe that I have ever faced a serve more powerful than that range?  I know what you mean with the relaxed arm thing though!  I am still impressed that you can play that long (especially at your weight)!  If I played for 4 hours my knees would be very upset with me..............much moreso than they are already after 2 hours of playing! 

Will have to see if I can get clocked again. 
7 years ago I was clocked at 123mph using a Prince Thunderstorm  (120 sq. inch head!) and it feels like I'm getting back to that range.  Consistency is between 30-40% but should slowly climb with some practice.  For me the loose arm is key.  Am following the classic Sampras model with a deep knee bend, full shoulder tilt and a toss that's 2' ahead of the baseline and back over my head.  Am sure I'm not getting the same amount of liftoff that Pistol Pete had/has but I sure am putting ALOT more mass into the shot!!! :rofl_2: :hysterical: :shocking:

I am still shocked that my knees, shoulder and overall skeleton isn't aching today.  Must be the Sierra Pale pain killers we consumed immediately following the match! :drinks:  Either that or the glucosamine is finally kicking in.....

Can you believe we're going to repeat the performance tonight! :shocking:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2007, 02:11:36 PM »

7 years ago I was clocked at 123mph using a Prince Thunderstorm  (120 sq. inch head!) and it feels like I'm getting back to that range.  Consistency is between 30-40% but should slowly climb with some practice.  For me the loose arm is key.  Am following the classic Sampras model with a deep knee bend, full shoulder tilt and a toss that's 2' ahead of the baseline and back over my head.  Am sure I'm not getting the same amount of liftoff that Pistol Pete had/has but I sure am putting ALOT more mass into the shot!!! :rofl_2: :hysterical: :shocking:

I am still shocked that my knees, shoulder and overall skeleton isn't aching today.  Must be the Sierra Pale pain killers we consumed immediately following the match! :drinks:  Either that or the glucosamine is finally kicking in.....

No, I can't!  I guess it will be okay so long as you take your alcoholic pain killers!   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:    BTW, your self-depricating humor is top notch!   :rofl_2:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »

No, I can't!  I guess it will be okay so long as you take your alcoholic pain killers!   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:    BTW, your self-depricating humor is top notch!   :rofl_2:

Oh, it's even better in person!!!   :Fool: :dance 2: :shakey: :dance 2: :Fool:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:19:36 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2007, 03:09:22 PM »

Oh, it's even better in person!!! : :Fool:dance 2: :shakey: :dance 2: :Fool:

Maybe some day we will be able to get together and drink a nice cool pain killer!   Hopefully, at the T4U crew get-together 2 here in Columbus/Cincy!   ;-()

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2007, 08:56:40 PM »

Maybe some day we will be able to get together and drink a nice cool pain killer!   Hopefully, at the T4U crew get-together 2 here in Columbus/Cincy!   ;-()

Stranger things have happened!
"The Chief" (or "The Warden", whichever you prefer) thought I was an idiot to hook up with DMast for some online tennis dating, but that went great.
Sure would be fun to hook up with some other fanatics and enjoy some tennis playing and watching.
Certainly not enough tennis nuts around these parts for my liking.
Just make sure Babblelots is there as I am positive that he and I would whooop on you and Scott......in some WWF tag team action after the tennis!!! ;-()
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:57:30 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2007, 09:08:40 PM »
"Only" 2.5 hours of hitting time tonight.  No sets, just practice.  Played points in serving to one side only.  My legs turned to jello after 45 minutes.  Was only able to sustain 3-4 shot rallies and then I'd bail out with a go for broke winner.  That didn't work out so well.  I did hit some great inside out forehands and top spin backhands down the line but the consistency was in the toilet.

The good news is I'm starting to find my "ideal" service motion.  I hit it 7 times out of approx. 200 tonight.  Tho' the percentage isn't great, to actually hit 7 serves that were THE best I could ever to hope to hit felt great.  Minimum effort, maximum result.  Absolutely smoked 'em and within 1' of my target!!!! woooohooooo  Now to put in the practice time and work the bugs out so the consistency creeps over 65%.....  My motivation will be the look on my Dan's face when I hit those 7 serves.  This dude can return serve like nobody's business, but during these serves I actually saw fear in his eyes.  He was hoping for self preservation instead of a good return of serve.  I live for that sheeeeet!!! :)>>>>
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2007, 09:22:13 PM »

"The Chief" (or "The Warden", whichever you prefer) thought I was an idiot to hook up with DMast for some online tennis dating, but that went great.
Sure would be fun to hook up with some other fanatics and enjoy some tennis playing and watching.
Just make sure Babblelots is there as I am positive that he and I would whooop on you and Scott......in some WWF tag team action after the tennis!!! ;-()

Chief or Warden?  I am guessing that is wifey!   :rofl_2:   Yeah, I expect Babble plans to come to Columbus again for the 2cnd year since he dubbed it the Annual implying that it would happen again.  The flight should be cheap, it can be done in a weekend, and it was good times for sure!  It would be sweet if you could hook it up also! 

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2007, 09:24:30 PM »
"Only" 2.5 hours of hitting time tonight.  No sets, just practice.  Played points in serving to one side only.  My legs turned to jello after 45 minutes.  Was only able to sustain 3-4 shot rallies and then I'd bail out with a go for broke winner.  That didn't work out so well.  I did hit some great inside out forehands and top spin backhands down the line but the consistency was in the toilet.

The good news is I'm starting to find my "ideal" service motion.  I hit it 7 times out of approx. 200 tonight.  Tho' the percentage isn't great, to actually hit 7 serves that were THE best I could ever to hope to hit felt great.  Minimum effort, maximum result.  Absolutely smoked 'em and within 1' of my target!!!! woooohooooo  Now to put in the practice time and work the bugs out so the consistency creeps over 65%.....  My motivation will be the look on my Dan's face when I hit those 7 serves.  This dude can return serve like nobody's business, but during these serves I actually saw fear in his eyes.  He was hoping for self preservation instead of a good return of serve.  I live for that sheeeeet!!! :)>>>>

Glad to hear the serve is improving!  Hopefully your body (muscles) starts to remember the feel of those perfect serves so they can become even more common!   :cool:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »

Chief or Warden?  I am guessing that is wifey!   :rofl_2:   Yeah, I expect Babble plans to come to Columbus again for the 2cnd year since he dubbed it the Annual implying that it would happen again.  The flight should be cheap, it can be done in a weekend, and it was good times for sure!  It would be sweet if you could hook it up also! 

It's possible he may hope, or attempt to get it done at Indy next year though....
He seem a bit put out by my suggesting Cincy and throwing a rock into his plans. :)~

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2007, 09:33:49 PM »

It's possible he may hope, or attempt to get it done at Indy next year though....
He seem a bit put out by my suggesting Cincy and throwing a rock into his plans. :)~

I am game for Indy as well but the players aren't as tough plus we wouldn't have our home base to play, eat, and sleep from. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2007, 09:40:56 PM »

Chief or Warden?  I am guessing that is wifey!   :rofl_2:   Yeah, I expect Babble plans to come to Columbus again for the 2cnd year since he dubbed it the Annual implying that it would happen again.  The flight should be cheap, it can be done in a weekend, and it was good times for sure!  It would be sweet if you could hook it up also! 
Good guess!!!  She helps me to help myself from returning to my sinful ways of yesteryear..... ://  :whip: She loves tennis from a spectators viewpoint as long as I'm not trying to play more than 3-4 times a week.

Cost isn't so much a factor as time.  Would love to make a long weekend of it, say Wed-Mon to be sure we got lots of hits mixed in with the watching.

Ya know, this is how it all starts for me.  Just an idea, then a plan, a soft sell to Mein Feurher and poof, I'm there.   :gleam:

CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2007, 09:43:31 PM »

Glad to hear the serve is improving!  Hopefully your body (muscles) starts to remember the feel of those perfect serves so they can become even more common!   :cool:

Hopefully my muscles have better retention than my brain!
Am starting to feel my age these past few years in more ways than one.
CONK da ball!!!