Author Topic: Monster  (Read 96288 times)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Re: Monster
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2007, 09:46:46 PM »
4 hours of singles tonight with my buddy Dan!  wooohoooo.
Got my butt whipped by an old rabbit but still had a good time.
3-6, 2-6, 6-2, 10 pt TB 7-10.  Man he was focused tonight and me coming off a "bachelor weekend" just couldn't hang.  I crushed some serves and groundstrokes but the feet just couldn't take me to the net.  I was a bit PO'ed that he was able to return some absolute bombs on the serve and I was too slow to take advantage of the weak returns.  If I cut back on the serve about 10% the consistency and control went through the roof and I was able to rack up 1-2 aces per service game.  Still, I am searching for the totally relaxed feeling in my right arm which can deliver consistent, controled serves in the 120-130mph range.  The good news is my shoulder feels fantastic tonight! 

120-130MPH??????????????   :confused1:    Holy shiite if you can achieve that range!  I can't believe that I have ever faced a serve more powerful than that range?  I know what you mean with the relaxed arm thing though!  I am still impressed that you can play that long (especially at your weight)!  If I played for 4 hours my knees would be very upset with me..............much moreso than they are already after 2 hours of playing! 

Will have to see if I can get clocked again. 
7 years ago I was clocked at 123mph using a Prince Thunderstorm  (120 sq. inch head!) and it feels like I'm getting back to that range.  Consistency is between 30-40% but should slowly climb with some practice.  For me the loose arm is key.  Am following the classic Sampras model with a deep knee bend, full shoulder tilt and a toss that's 2' ahead of the baseline and back over my head.  Am sure I'm not getting the same amount of liftoff that Pistol Pete had/has but I sure am putting ALOT more mass into the shot!!! :rofl_2: :hysterical: :shocking:

I am still shocked that my knees, shoulder and overall skeleton isn't aching today.  Must be the Sierra Pale pain killers we consumed immediately following the match! :drinks:  Either that or the glucosamine is finally kicking in.....

Can you believe we're going to repeat the performance tonight! :shocking:

No, I can't!  I guess it will be okay so long as you take your alcoholic pain killers!   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:    BTW, your self-depricating humor is top notch!   :rofl_2:

Oh, it's even better in person!!! : :Fool:dance 2: :shakey: :dance 2: :Fool:

Maybe some day we will be able to get together and drink a nice cool pain killer!   Hopefully, at the T4U crew get-together 2 here in Columbus/Cincy!   ;-()

Stranger things have happened!
"The Chief" (or "The Warden", whichever you prefer) thought I was an idiot to hook up with DMast for some online tennis dating, but that went great.
Sure would be fun to hook up with some other fanatics and enjoy some tennis playing and watching.
Certainly not enough tennis nuts around these parts for my liking.
Just make sure Babblelots is there as I am positive that he and I would whooop on you and Scott......in some WWF tag team action after the tennis!!! ;-()

Chief or Warden?  I am guessing that is wifey!   :rofl_2:   Yeah, I expect Babble plans to come to Columbus again for the 2cnd year since he dubbed it the Annual implying that it would happen again.  The flight should be cheap, it can be done in a weekend, and it was good times for sure!  It would be sweet if you could hook it up also! 
Good guess!!!  She helps me to help myself from returning to my sinful ways of yesteryear..... ://  :whip: She loves tennis from a spectators viewpoint as long as I'm not trying to play more than 3-4 times a week.

Cost isn't so much a factor as time.  Would love to make a long weekend of it, say Wed-Mon to be sure we got lots of hits mixed in with the watching.

Ya know, this is how it all starts for me.  Just an idea, then a plan, a soft sell to Mein Feurher and poof, I'm there.   :gleam:

Dude you are killing me!   :rofl_2:    First she was the chief then the warden, and now Mein Feurher!   :rofl_2:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2007, 09:49:53 PM »
Cost isn't so much a factor as time.  Would love to make a long weekend of it, say Wed-Mon to be sure we got lots of hits mixed in with the watching.

Ya know, this is how it all starts for me.  Just an idea, then a plan, a soft sell to Mein Feurher and poof, I'm there.   :gleam:

And this year we have much more time to make the plans. :))

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2007, 09:54:45 PM »
3-6, 2-6, 6-2, 10 pt TB 7-10.  Man he was focused tonight and me coming off a "bachelor weekend" just couldn't hang.  I crushed some serves and groundstrokes but the feet just couldn't take me to the net.  I was a bit PO'ed that he was able to return some absolute bombs on the serve and I was too slow to take advantage of the weak returns.  If I cut back on the serve about 10% the consistency and control went through the roof and I was able to rack up 1-2 aces per service game.  Still, I am searching for the totally relaxed feeling in my right arm which can deliver consistent, controled serves in the 120-130mph range.  The good news is my shoulder feels fantastic tonight! 

120-130MPH??????????????   :confused1:    Holy shiite if you can achieve that range!  I can't believe that I have ever faced a serve more powerful than that range?  I know what you mean with the relaxed arm thing though!  I am still impressed that you can play that long (especially at your weight)!  If I played for 4 hours my knees would be very upset with me..............much moreso than they are already after 2 hours of playing! 

7 years ago I was clocked at 123mph using a Prince Thunderstorm  (120 sq. inch head!) and it feels like I'm getting back to that range.  Consistency is between 30-40% but should slowly climb with some practice.  For me the loose arm is key.  Am following the classic Sampras model with a deep knee bend, full shoulder tilt and a toss that's 2' ahead of the baseline and back over my head.  Am sure I'm not getting the same amount of liftoff that Pistol Pete had/has but I sure am putting ALOT more mass into the shot!!! :rofl_2: :hysterical: :shocking:

I am still shocked that my knees, shoulder and overall skeleton isn't aching today.  Must be the Sierra Pale pain killers we consumed immediately following the match! :drinks:  Either that or the glucosamine is finally kicking in.....

No, I can't!  I guess it will be okay so long as you take your alcoholic pain killers!   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:    BTW, your self-depricating humor is top notch!   :rofl_2:

Maybe some day we will be able to get together and drink a nice cool pain killer!   Hopefully, at the T4U crew get-together 2 here in Columbus/Cincy!   ;-()

"The Chief" (or "The Warden", whichever you prefer) thought I was an idiot to hook up with DMast for some online tennis dating, but that went great.
Sure would be fun to hook up with some other fanatics and enjoy some tennis playing and watching.
Just make sure Babblelots is there as I am positive that he and I would whooop on you and Scott......in some WWF tag team action after the tennis!!! ;-()

Chief or Warden?  I am guessing that is wifey!   :rofl_2:   Yeah, I expect Babble plans to come to Columbus again for the 2cnd year since he dubbed it the Annual implying that it would happen again.  The flight should be cheap, it can be done in a weekend, and it was good times for sure!  It would be sweet if you could hook it up also! 
Good guess!!!  She helps me to help myself from returning to my sinful ways of yesteryear..... ://  :whip: She loves tennis from a spectators viewpoint as long as I'm not trying to play more than 3-4 times a week.

Dude you are killing me!   :rofl_2:    First she was the chief then the warden, and now Mein Feurher!   :rofl_2:

Heaven forbid you should meet her!!!! :yikes:  You'd see what I mean.
Fact of the matter is it's a 2-way street.  I need all the direction she provides and she needs all of the spontonaity that I can supply.  We are the living definition of "opposites attract".  Just celebrated our 15th anniversary and I think we're good for at least one more!!! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2007, 09:55:15 PM »

And this year we have much more time to make the plans. :))

Booooo-yahhhhhhh!  It is so on!   :king:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2007, 09:58:30 PM »

Fact of the matter is it's a 2-way street.  I need all the direction she provides and she needs all of the spontonaity that I can supply.  We are the living definition of "opposites attract".  Just celebrated our 15th anniversary and I think we're good for at least one more!!! ;-()

I am never going to get to bed what with your comedy show tonight!  He'll be here all week..........try the veal!   :rim shot:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
"Only" 2.5 hours of hitting time tonight.  No sets, just practice.  Played points in serving to one side only.  My legs turned to jello after 45 minutes.  Was only able to sustain 3-4 shot rallies and then I'd bail out with a go for broke winner.  That didn't work out so well.  I did hit some great inside out forehands and top spin backhands down the line but the consistency was in the toilet.

The good news is I'm starting to find my "ideal" service motion.  I hit it 7 times out of approx. 200 tonight.  Tho' the percentage isn't great, to actually hit 7 serves that were THE best I could ever to hope to hit felt great.  Minimum effort, maximum result.  Absolutely smoked 'em and within 1' of my target!!!! woooohooooo  Now to put in the practice time and work the bugs out so the consistency creeps over 65%.....  My motivation will be the look on my Dan's face when I hit those 7 serves.  This dude can return serve like nobody's business, but during these serves I actually saw fear in his eyes.  He was hoping for self preservation instead of a good return of serve.  I live for that sheeeeet!!! :)>>>>

The Dan you refer to is not me??? What gives?  ;-()

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2007, 10:08:53 PM »

I am never going to get to bed what with your comedy show tonight!  He'll be here all week..........try the veal!   :rim shot:
Ayuh, you bein' online at night isn't gonna be good! :)~

Veal?  I love veal!!! :cowboy:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2007, 10:12:11 PM »

You love everything!

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2007, 10:14:59 PM »
"Only" 2.5 hours of hitting time tonight.  No sets, just practice.  Played points in serving to one side only.  My legs turned to jello after 45 minutes.  Was only able to sustain 3-4 shot rallies and then I'd bail out with a go for broke winner.  That didn't work out so well.  I did hit some great inside out forehands and top spin backhands down the line but the consistency was in the toilet.

The good news is I'm starting to find my "ideal" service motion.  I hit it 7 times out of approx. 200 tonight.  Tho' the percentage isn't great, to actually hit 7 serves that were THE best I could ever to hope to hit felt great.  Minimum effort, maximum result.  Absolutely smoked 'em and within 1' of my target!!!! woooohooooo  Now to put in the practice time and work the bugs out so the consistency creeps over 65%.....  My motivation will be the look on my Dan's face when I hit those 7 serves.  This dude can return serve like nobody's business, but during these serves I actually saw fear in his eyes.  He was hoping for self preservation instead of a good return of serve.  I live for that sheeeeet!!! :)>>>>

The Dan you refer to is not me??? What gives?  ;-()
You remember him,  "Little Dan the Tennis Man"?  Almost as tall as Scotty, 60 years old and twice as fast???? ;-()  He's my #1 tennis pal.  We can go out and do drills, hit for fun, or have an all-out war and still be friends.  The only thing we don't do well together is play as doubles partners.  You and I "clicked" right off the bat, better than this guy I've known for 10 years.  Tho' it wasn't spectacular, I thought you're ability to move and make the put aways complemented my steady game.  Weird stuff, huh? :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2007, 10:16:28 PM »

You love everything!
Pretty much any consumable food or liquid.
Ayuh, except for lima beans and watermellon and I try those every few months just to be sure!!! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2007, 10:18:14 PM »

You love everything!
Ayuh, except for lima beans and watermellon and I try those every few months just to be sure!!! ;-()

You will never starve! ..-)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2007, 10:19:34 PM »

We just need to show some discipline!   ;-()  I am outta her very soon..........so I can get up early and get to work so I can jump in here!   :rofl_2:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2007, 10:22:01 PM »

You love everything!

Seriously, I did for nearly 4 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club (the U.S. Navy) and I swore I never would again.
Look where that got me!?!?! :drool:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »

You love everything!

Seriously, I did for nearly 4 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club (the U.S. Navy) and I swore I never would again.

And what did you squids do for us poor ground stompers, but take us to some beach and leave us there to fight or die. :ranting:
Not me of course, I spent my time on Okinowa (long after it was taken) pushing paper. ..-)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2007, 10:29:34 PM »

You love everything!

And what did you squids do for us poor ground stompers, but take us to some beach and leave us there to fight or die. :ranting:
Not me of course, I spent my time on Okinowa (long after it was taken) pushing paper. ..-)
Whelp, truly we were the lady chasers out of the branches of service and not much into the fighting.
Tho' near as I can tell neither you nor I say any "real" action. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2007, 11:29:33 PM »

You love everything!

Whelp, truly we were the lady chasers out of the branches of service and not much into the fighting.

Got a paper cut once, it was a bleeder... no Purple Heart though. :mad1:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2007, 07:37:02 AM »

You love everything!

Got a paper cut once, it was a bleeder... no Purple Heart though. :mad1:
The closest I came to any action was riding on a destroyer for 60 days a few miles off the coast of Israel during a Mid-East "crisis" situation.  2 mos. we went in a box route 30 miles sq.  No wonder I'm so koooky now!  Talk about stir crazy!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2007, 07:09:37 AM »
Oooops, slipped up and passed on tennis time for some more fishing. :(

Turned out to be a great choice as we boated 35 yellow and white perch 12-14" long in 2.5 hours!  :)) The second best day of fishing in my life! :fishie: :fishie:
Non-stop action, fish with bellies almost as big as mine and shoulders like the Huchback of Notre Dame!   :king: :cloud 9: :yahoo: :toot:

Looking forward to a diet busting fish fry this weekend!  woooohooooo! :drool: :drool: :drool:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2007, 07:01:18 AM »
wooohooo!
Had a great outing last night with "Little Dan".  2 hours of warm-up and drills and then a set and 2 10 point TBs.  Movement is improving slowly and was ripping the ball on the forehand.  Couldn't lock in the back hand tho'.  For some reason, I think I'm afraid  to take a full shoulder turn on that side. :confused1:
On a more positive note, I was absolutely CRUSHIN' my serve... with control.  Was able to spot the ball wide and up the center in both courts with accuracy (less than 12")  Still only about 40% consistency, but that's with a full swing and lots of spin!  With a bit more practice, this will be a true weapon. :)>>>>

The first set was a see-saw battle.  I went up 3-0 break, hold, break with some power tennis and then faltered to 3-4 as I ran out of gas.  Managed to catch my breath to hold for 4 all and break to go up 5-4.  This is when it got ugly and as I was pretty well spent but ready to serve for the set.  It was a very long game with 4 deuces because I couldn't hit 2 first serves in a row and even with good spin and pace on the 2nd serve Dan was hurting me.  Finally got an ad pt by backing off a tidge on the serve and decided to go for the bomb up the T.  Not flat mind you, but with some serious side spin to go with the pace.  The ball clipped the inside of the sideline about 1' back from the endline and smashed into the backdrop on 1 hop for an ace and the set was mine!!! :king:  As the ball struck the backdrop, I unconsiously let out a bellow which unsettled a few spectators on a nearby court, oooops!  Ahhhhh, but it felt so good to have a taste of the tennis I know I'm capable of producing.

Afterwards, over wobbly pops,  Dan & I discussed future plans to practice up and play some 4.0 tourneys early next year.  Sure is nice to be fired up about the game again! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2007, 07:18:37 AM »
wooohooo!
Had a great outing last night with "Little Dan".  2 hours of warm-up and drills and then a set and 2 10 point TBs.  Movement is improving slowly and was ripping the ball on the forehand.  Couldn't lock in the back hand tho'.  For some reason, I think I'm afraid  to take a full shoulder turn on that side. :confused1:
On a more positive note, I was absolutely CRUSHIN' my serve... with control.  Was able to spot the ball wide and up the center in both courts with accuracy (less than 12")  Still only about 40% consistency, but that's with a full swing and lots of spin!  With a bit more practice, this will be a true weapon. :)>>>>

The first set was a see-saw battle.  I went up 3-0 break, hold, break with some power tennis and then faltered to 3-4 as I ran out of gas.  Managed to catch my breath to hold for 4 all and break to go up 5-4.  This is when it got ugly and as I was pretty well spent but ready to serve for the set.  It was a very long game with 4 deuces because I couldn't hit 2 first serves in a row and even with good spin and pace on the 2nd serve Dan was hurting me.  Finally got an ad pt by backing off a tidge on the serve and decided to go for the bomb up the T.  Not flat mind you, but with some serious side spin to go with the pace.  The ball clipped the inside of the sideline about 1' back from the endline and smashed into the backdrop on 1 hop for an ace and the set was mine!!! :king:  As the ball struck the backdrop, I unconsiously let out a bellow which unsettled a few spectators on a nearby court, oooops!  Ahhhhh, but it felt so good to have a taste of the tennis I know I'm capable of producing.

Afterwards, over wobbly pops,  Dan & I discussed future plans to practice up and play some 4.0 tourneys early next year.  Sure is nice to be fired up about the game again! :))

Nice Monster!   :)     A question just occurred to me, what courts do you play on?   Do you play clay?   I am just shocked that you guys play as long as you do!   :)