Author Topic: Monster  (Read 102704 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Monster
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2007, 09:03:35 AM »
Getting back into the tourneys is a good idea.  It is a great way to play others you are not use to playing and getting back into playing some good competitive tennis.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2007, 11:24:19 AM »
wooohooo!
Had a great outing last night with "Little Dan".  2 hours of warm-up and drills and then a set and 2 10 point TBs.  Movement is improving slowly and was ripping the ball on the forehand.  Couldn't lock in the back hand tho'.  For some reason, I think I'm afraid  to take a full shoulder turn on that side. :confused1:
On a more positive note, I was absolutely CRUSHIN' my serve... with control.  Was able to spot the ball wide and up the center in both courts with accuracy (less than 12")  Still only about 40% consistency, but that's with a full swing and lots of spin!  With a bit more practice, this will be a true weapon. :)>>>>

The first set was a see-saw battle.  I went up 3-0 break, hold, break with some power tennis and then faltered to 3-4 as I ran out of gas.  Managed to catch my breath to hold for 4 all and break to go up 5-4.  This is when it got ugly and as I was pretty well spent but ready to serve for the set.  It was a very long game with 4 deuces because I couldn't hit 2 first serves in a row and even with good spin and pace on the 2nd serve Dan was hurting me.  Finally got an ad pt by backing off a tidge on the serve and decided to go for the bomb up the T.  Not flat mind you, but with some serious side spin to go with the pace.  The ball clipped the inside of the sideline about 1' back from the endline and smashed into the backdrop on 1 hop for an ace and the set was mine!!! :king:  As the ball struck the backdrop, I unconsiously let out a bellow which unsettled a few spectators on a nearby court, oooops!  Ahhhhh, but it felt so good to have a taste of the tennis I know I'm capable of producing.

Afterwards, over wobbly pops,  Dan & I discussed future plans to practice up and play some 4.0 tourneys early next year.  Sure is nice to be fired up about the game again! :))

Nice Monster!   :)     A question just occurred to me, what courts do you play on?   Do you play clay?   I am just shocked that you guys play as long as you do!   :)
Haven't played clay for 3 years now. :(  We have some slow hard courts at the local club.  Most of the local public courts are fast hard courts.  I'm a bit surprised I haven't been sore after these outings as well.  Especially the back to back last weekend, and playing singles to boot!!! :Confused:  Perhaps the glucosamine/chondritin is finally kicking in.  I also take vitamin I (ibuprofen) before I play singles.  What amazes me most is the lack of pain in my shoulder.  I used to just spin the ball in on the serve with moderate pace but the last 3 times out I've been bombing away and it feels awesome!!! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »
Getting back into the tourneys is a good idea.  It is a great way to play others you are not use to playing and getting back into playing some good competitive tennis.

Tourneys or a league would be nice, except that involves quite a bit of traveling in these parts (southwest NH). 
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2007, 11:11:34 PM »
Passed on the mail modeling tonight in favor of 3.5 hours of doubles and singles play. 
My serve was almost "on".  Still very relaxed and loose giving me excellent pace and control.  For the minimal amount of practice I've put in the past 2 months, I am more than happy.  Dubs was fun with a wide range of skill levels participating.  A young lady with less than 1 year of playing time, but with several visits to Saddlebrook was my partner for part of the evening.  It's amazing what these kids are learning in such a short period of time!  She can rally on the ground with the 3.5 players in the group and in a year will be testing the 4.0 players.  So much fun to see the hunger in her eyes, eager to play up and learn from us dubbers! ;-()  On the up side, her dad, a solid 5.0 player hung around to watch me slug it out  in a singles set with another 4.0 player.  Afterwards, he was kind enough to provide both of us with some gentle guidance which was much appreciated.  I feel so lucky to have such good friends who play tennis in this little backwoods area of NH! ://

Yes, I've had a few theraputic wobbly pops. :beer:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:13:42 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2007, 05:45:59 AM »
I played tennis yesterday with DMast.... :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2007, 06:25:15 AM »
Well dude, I came in here to read about it.  All you have to say is :whistle:  ???

How did it go yo?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »
I played tennis yesterday with DMast.... :whistle:

Is this like, more to come later when you get the chance, or, like no comment on how it went!??    :confused1:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2007, 09:19:06 AM »
It's more like he's just being nice and rubbing it in at the same time. :)>>>>
Suffice to say it was bad day for the tennis nerd.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2007, 09:23:54 AM »

Ahhhh, but I thought with some regularity you could beat me!?   :)~     That was a cheap shot but I had to retort on you implying that you could ever beat me!   :whistle:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2007, 09:49:59 AM »

Ahhhh, but I thought with some regularity you could beat me!?   :)~     That was a cheap shot but I had to retort on you implying that you could ever beat me!   :whistle:

I said if I played as well I as had been playing I could beat you. But that's not what happened yesterday. Not by a long shot.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2007, 07:41:59 PM »
Well guys, I figured I'd let the "D" Man do the talking about yesterday.  As he's alluded, it just wasn't his day.   :(  He definitely showed major improvement over our last outings and just needs to hit more in order to work the bugs out. 

One thing I noticed, I really enjoyed the competitve atmosphere of playing someone different.  Handling the nerves and the excitement was a real challenge.  I couldn't get a lock on my serve (no big surprise) and I overhit my forehand (money shot) more often than not.  Still, I found a way to win points, games, and sets.  Lots of 'em! ;-()

btw In case any of you thought you noticed a slight tremor yesterday around 4:19pm EST, that was the Monster Truck landing from a flying overhead smash to close out the first set! :-o ( I did too leave the ground DMAST! 2"!!!  ;-())   
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2007, 07:39:35 AM »
Well guys, I figured I'd let the "D" Man do the talking about yesterday.  As he's alluded, it just wasn't his day.   :(  He definitely showed major improvement over our last outings and just needs to hit more in order to work the bugs out. 

One thing I noticed, I really enjoyed the competitve atmosphere of playing someone different.  Handling the nerves and the excitement was a real challenge.  I couldn't get a lock on my serve (no big surprise) and I overhit my forehand (money shot) more often than not.  Still, I found a way to win points, games, and sets.  Lots of 'em! ;-()

btw In case any of you thought you noticed a slight tremor yesterday around 4:19pm EST, that was the Monster Truck landing from a flying overhead smash to close out the first set! :-o ( I did too leave the ground DMAST! 2"!!!  ;-())   

Nice!   2" is roughly my leaping ability as well!   :(

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
Am looking forward to a good go round of singles tonight with a steady 4.0 player, "Old Man Dan".  He just turned 60 but can still run circles around most 30 year olds.  He is also very consistent, and if my power game fails me he will absolutely torture me.  Pre-match plan is to keep the points short and take control of the points a.s.a.p.  Will also hit some slice shots to bring him in and move him up and back instead of side to side. 

I'm also hoping to lock in my forehand which was a mess against DMast last Sunday.  I think the key there is to not get excited and then overhit the shot.  If I can relax and keep my feet moving, that should help.
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2007, 07:26:37 AM »
woohoo!
Nice outing last night, tho' it only lasted 2 hours. :(
After 45 min. warmup and drills, we played 2 sets.
First set I run out to a 4-0 lead on some excellent serve and volley tennis.  The slice serve to both sides is very effective, wicked spin + short in the box.  Dan holds the fifth game and I serve and break to take the set 6-1!  Yikes, Dan is very unnerved and I've expended a ton amount of energy on the attack.  I know the second set will not be a repeat of the first!

Even with a short rest between sets, I'm still hurting and Dan holds and breaks immediately to take his first lead of the night.  I'm not hitting the slice serve as much and am going with the "bomb" to the body which he handles fairly well. :mad1:  I manage to hang with him until I'm serving at 3-5.  I hold for 4-5 and Dan is serving for the set.  We both have 4 game points and can't convert!  It's crunch time and no quarter is given!!!  I finally take 2 points in a row with the same combination-  low BH slice return, big cross court FH followed by a volley into the open court.  wooohoo, there's still some gas left in my tank!!!  I consolidate the break and go up 6-5, but can hardly move.  Dan holds at love and sends us to the TB.  At this point, I'm running (or walking :() on fumes but am very excited to still be in the set.  Dan holds for 1-0 with some steady play, a 12 shot rally where he's got me on a string!!!  I know this guy is a seasoned 4.0 league/tourney player and the TB could get ugly is the long points continue.  I thought about hitting the slice serve which was so effective in the first set, but I realize I don't have the legs to follow it to the net.  I elect to go with the bomb serve followed by a big forehand in order to keep the points short.  I hold  to go up 2-1.  At this point I sense that Dan has relapsed into the negative mind-set he had during the first set-  he can feel things slipping away.  I smell blood and  it's time to move in for the kill!  I break him twice with 2 excellent crosscourt BH returns and bomb away (2 hardest serves of the night!!!) to go up 6-1.  By now he is completely demoralized and hands me match point on an uncharateristic unforced error.  Perhaps our greatest set in nearly 12 years of playing each other, what a night!!! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2007, 07:45:08 AM »
woohoo!
First set I run out to a 4-0 lead on some excellent serve and volley tennis.  The slice serve to both sides is very effective, wicked spin + short in the box.  Dan holds the fifth game and I serve and break to take the set 6-1!  Yikes, Dan is very unnerved and I've expended a ton amount of energy on the attack.  I know the second set will not be a repeat of the first!

Even with a short rest between sets, I'm still hurting and Dan holds and breaks immediately to take his first lead of the night.  I'm not hitting the slice serve as much and am going with the "bomb" to the body which he handles fairly well. :mad1:  I manage to hang with him until I'm serving at 3-5.  I hold for 4-5 and Dan is serving for the set.  We both have 4 game points and can't convert!  It's crunch time and no quarter is given!!!  I finally take 2 points in a row with the same combination-  low BH slice return, big cross court FH followed by a volley into the open court.  wooohoo, there's still some gas left in my tank!!!  I consolidate the break and go up 6-5, but can hardly move.  Dan holds at love and sends us to the TB.  At this point, I'm running (or walking :() on fumes but am very excited to still be in the set.  Dan holds for 1-0 with some steady play, a 12 shot rally where he's got me on a string!!!  I know this guy is a seasoned 4.0 league/tourney player and the TB could get ugly is the long points continue.  I thought about hitting the slice serve which was so effective in the first set, but I realize I don't have the legs to follow it to the net.  I elect to go with the bomb serve followed by a big forehand in order to keep the points short.  I hold  to go up 2-1.  At this point I sense that Dan has relapsed into the negative mind-set he had during the first set-  he can feel things slipping away.  I smell blood and  it's time to move in for the kill!  I break him twice with 2 excellent crosscourt BH returns and bomb away (2 hardest serves of the night!!!) to go up 6-1.  By now he is completely demoralized and hands me match point on an uncharateristic unforced error.  Perhaps our greatest set in nearly 12 years of playing each other, what a night!!! :))

Nice match, way to hang in there even on fumes!   :cool:              I love the pressure situations late in matches where you are running on fumes but still clearly focused on the task at hand.  It feels that much better when you get the win and feel totally spent!   :king:

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2007, 04:17:26 PM »
woohoo!

Nice match, way to hang in there even on fumes!   :cool:              I love the pressure situations late in matches where you are running on fumes but still clearly focused on the task at hand.  It feels that much better when you get the win and feel totally spent!   :king:
Thank goodness we were able to "refuel" immediately after the match! ;-()
Replenishing fluids was most enjoyable! :beer:
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2007, 07:16:32 AM »
wooohooo!  Got to hit for the 3rd time this week this morning.
2 hours of drills before work and I am pumped!!! :lifting) :trampoline:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2007, 08:50:05 AM »

Which I guess means that you played at like 6:00am!?  :-o      I am not sure I could play that early!? 

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »

Which I guess means that you played at like 6:00am!?  :-o      I am not sure I could play that early!? 
Gotta take what I can get.  I like it much better than hitting from 7-11pm or in the afternoon. 
It's a great way to start the day!  My energy level for the day is higher if I exercise before breakfast / work. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2007, 09:38:32 AM »

Gotta take what I can get.  I like it much better than hitting from 7-11pm or in the afternoon. 
It's a great way to start the day!  My energy level for the day is higher if I exercise before breakfast / work. :))

Whoo! Join the 6am tennis players club, as far as I know me and mdshahid are the only ones in that club right now. but were you not tired for the rest of the day? we do it only in summer and weekends so even if we are tired we can sleep or do nothing  but you gotta work after playing tennis..2 hours. how does that feel?