Author Topic: Monster  (Read 106582 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Monster
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2007, 09:45:57 AM »
wooohooo!  Got to hit for the 3rd time this week this morning.
2 hours of drills before work and I am pumped!!! :lifting) :trampoline:

Which I guess means that you played at like 6:00am!?  :-o      I am not sure I could play that early!? 
Gotta take what I can get.  I like it much better than hitting from 7-11pm or in the afternoon. 
It's a great way to start the day!  My energy level for the day is higher if I exercise before breakfast / work. :))

Whoo! Join the 6am tennis players club, as far as I know me and mdshahid are the only ones in that club right now. but were you not tired for the rest of the day? we do it only in summer and weekends so even if we are tired we can sleep or do nothing  but you gotta work after playing tennis..2 hours. how does that feel?
I gotta tell ya, it feels great!!!  I used to play hoops a couple mornings/week from 6-8am and then drive truck for UPS for 10-12 hours!!!  For some reason this schedule works for me.  I think once I get my heart rate up in the morning it stays pumped for the rest of the day.  I sure do sleep well at night! ;-()

Off for a hit with DMast today.  I'm hoping his wrist can hold up to the Monster Power game this time. :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2007, 06:44:27 AM »
Had a good outing with DMast yesterday afternoon.  Went into it feeling pretty low, both the "Chief" and I are in the early stages of sore throats / colds, so I was hoping just to sweat and have some fun.

The warm-up and 2 sets we played were down right ugly. :(
Neither of us served well and I was mentally and physically out of it. :( :(
Brain was slow to solve the equation and the body was even slower getting there once the message was sent.  But then....

DMast suggested we move on to some drills and the fun began! :grind dance:
The Monster Volley drill he describes in his journal is a real hoot!  It's a great comination drill for fitness and feel at the net.  After a couple rounds of this my legs felt like jello!  We then moved on to some simple groundstroke drills where DM was able to work on his BH a bit.  With a constant feed, his consistency and control improved dramatically! :thumbs-up:

On my turn, DM immediately recognized and pointed out technical errors on my BH slice!  With some minor adjustments I started to get a feeling as to how that stroke should be hit.  I couldn't lock it in, but it's definitely an improvement and a step in the right direction.  Thanks DM! :))

All in all, we both left out of there with a  :)) on our face (1st time I've seen him smile!!!) and feeling positive about what started out as a rather ugly outing.  Thanks for some "good medicine" big guy!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2007, 06:54:47 AM »
Almost forgot, DM brought his scale and we weighed my sticks.  2 came in at approx. 385 grams and the Monster Stick came in at 417!!!  That's 14.7 ounces, :yikes: :-o  Time to tune up the other 2 and get them up to speed.  I just love the mass, especially returning serve.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2007, 02:06:51 PM »
Had a good outing with DMast yesterday afternoon.  Went into it feeling pretty low, both the "Chief" and I are in the early stages of sore throats / colds, so I was hoping just to sweat and have some fun.

Brain was slow to solve the equation and the body was even slower getting there once the message was sent.  But then....

The Monster Volley drill he describes in his journal is a real hoot!  It's a great comination drill for fitness and feel at the net.  After a couple rounds of this my legs felt like jello!  We then moved on to some simple groundstroke drills where DM was able to work on his BH a bit.  With a constant feed, his consistency and control improved dramatically! :thumbs-up:

On my turn, DM immediately recognized and pointed out technical errors on my BH slice!  With some minor adjustments I started to get a feeling as to how that stroke should be hit.  I couldn't lock it in, but it's definitely an improvement and a step in the right direction.  Thanks DM! :))

All in all, we both left out of there with a  :)) on our face (1st time I've seen him smile!!!) and feeling positive about what started out as a rather ugly outing.  Thanks for some "good medicine" big guy!!!

Those that can do, those that can't teach. I think I make a good teacher, and the evidence shows that teaching is the right fit for me.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2007, 05:55:11 PM »

Those that can do, those that can't teach. I think I make a good teacher, and the evidence shows that teaching is the right fit for me.
Off for some round robin dubs and maybe a bit of singles.  Quite the mixed bag this group.  One 5.0 player a couple a 4's and the rest 3.5.  It's fun trying to take down the 5.0 guy when he's paired with a 3.5!  Somehow it all works out and we have a good time.  This would be my "social" tennis. ..-)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2007, 06:57:51 PM »
Always nice to have a 5.0 in the mix.  We get some of those in the 4.5 league, 5.0 is some darn tough tennis!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2007, 11:20:45 PM »
Always nice to have a 5.0 in the mix.  We get some of those in the 4.5 league, 5.0 is some darn tough tennis!!!
Are you kiddin' me?  This guy is sick!!! :worthy: 
Always in position and on balance.
A clean striker of the ball, with nearly every shot in the book except for heavy top.
The angles this guy finds in doubles are murder, and he's not even trying!!!
I got to hit some singles with him at the end of the evening which was pure joy/torture.  I think he missed like 3 balls in that time and I was thumping away with good pace on both sides.  After rallying for 15-20 shots my legs just turn to jelly and I can't move! :crazy:  Kinda like the Monster Volley drill I did with DMast on Sunday.  I was ready to puke on both days.  It feels great! :king:
Am hoping to set up some singles with this guy soon so my head will stop swellin' from puttin' the smackdown on all my regular partners lately! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2007, 05:51:44 AM »
Yeah, if he is willing you need to get him out as much as possible, you will learn a lot just by hitting with him.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2007, 06:30:49 AM »
Yeah, if he is willing you need to get him out as much as possible, you will learn a lot just by hitting with him.
The kicker is he's the nicest guy in the Tues night group!
Looking forward to a whoopin' from him soon.
Last time (several years ago) I lost 2 & 2 and I thought I was playing o.k.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2007, 09:04:21 AM »

I should take a Tuesday off, and troll up up there for some high quality dubs. :gleam:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2007, 12:12:40 PM »

I should take a Tuesday off, and troll up up there for some high quality dubs. :gleam:
Don't do that!!!
Make it Thursday night, that's when the big boys play!  You'd love it!  I'm looking forward to getting back out there once I lose a bit more lard. ..-)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2007, 03:24:41 PM »

Don't do that!!!
Make it Thursday night, that's when the big boys play!  You'd love it!  I'm looking forward to getting back out there once I lose a bit more lard. ..-)

What time?

I know I'll be able to hit it on Nov 22... But then you will be all weighted down with turkey and stuffing.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2007, 05:04:22 AM »

Don't do that!!!

What time?

I know I'll be able to hit it on Nov 22... But then you will be all weighted down with turkey and stuffing.
Hey mister, I'm used to the "weighted down" thingy! ;-()

There is absolutley no chance of me escaping THAT night!
Will keep an hour to the ground to see if the Thursday group reschedules for another time during that weekend in case you're available. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2007, 08:29:26 AM »

Don't do that!!!

What time?

Will keep an hour to the ground to see if the Thursday group reschedules for another time during that weekend in case you're available. :)

Oh I'm there... It's more a matter of give me a time and I'll be driving. :tease:
What time do your normal Thursday doubles go off?

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2007, 12:09:20 PM »

Don't do that!!!

What time?

Oh I'm there... It's more a matter of give me a time and I'll be driving. :tease:
Usually not until 7:30 or 8 pm, to avoid the Club "police".
Which reminds me, I forgot to mention, I think you can only be a guest twice a month. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2007, 03:40:31 PM »

Don't do that!!!

What time?

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention, I think you can only be a guest twice a month. :(

Sounds like they really don't like people messing up their nice clean courts, do they? ..-)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2007, 06:08:56 PM »

Don't do that!!!

What time?

Sounds like they really don't like people messing up their nice clean courts, do they? ..-)

:mad1:  It just irks me!  :mad1:
Last Sunday when we played only 2 slots out of 30 (7:30am-9pm) were used! :confused1:  So what the heck is their problem?
  I understand what you were saying about some clubs so full you can't hardly get time, but I sure wish there were a happy medium.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2007, 05:06:27 AM »
I haven't played since Tues. night and I'm starting to get the shakes! :shakey: :shakey:  I actually grabbed a racquet at 8pm and just did a few shadow swings to help ease the pain!
Hoping to play round robin singles early tomorrow and Sunday a.m. and maybe get some dubs in at that time as well.  8 hours of tennis in 2 days should do the trick!! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2007, 05:02:39 AM »
I haven't played since Tues. night and I'm starting to get the shakes! :shakey: :shakey:  I actually grabbed a racquet at 8pm and just did a few shadow swings to help ease the pain!
Hoping to play round robin singles early tomorrow and Sunday a.m. and maybe get some dubs in at that time as well.  8 hours of tennis in 2 days should do the trick!! :))

Enjoy your tennis today, it always sucks to go a few days without playing, I haven't played since last weekend also  :(

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2007, 05:28:14 AM »

Enjoy your tennis today, it always sucks to go a few days without playing, I haven't played since last weekend also  :(
Yikes, that's just too long!
Headed out the door now.  Full report later! :)
CONK da ball!!!