Author Topic: Monster  (Read 110722 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Monster
« Reply #1040 on: April 11, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »
I thought he was calling me short!  He is avoiding our game too.  He will probably throw down some excuse like he is busy or something...
VERY busy.....

I thought the use of midget and short in that post was quite funny....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1041 on: April 12, 2009, 06:04:03 AM »
For now my journal will have to be about TABLE tennis.
3+ hours yesterday against the Twit.
After several outings vs. him and feeling out of control while still maintaining a 70/30 winning percentage decided to mix it up.
Severe sidespin on serves instead of underspin very effective, especially on the BH serve.
Also played close to the table which helped my blocking on the BH, didn't have to step back and hit so many chops.  He definitely didn't like this tactic.
Moved my percentage closer to 75/25, almost there.
We both agreed without his smash tipping the net half the time he wouldn't win many games at all.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #1042 on: April 13, 2009, 08:32:46 AM »
Wow, over 3 hours of ping pong is hardcore!
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #1043 on: April 13, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »
After several outings vs. him and feeling out of control while still maintaining a 70/30 winning percentage decided to mix it up.
Severe sidespin on serves instead of underspin very effective, especially on the BH serve.
Also played close to the table which helped my blocking on the BH, didn't have to step back and hit so many chops.  He definitely didn't like this tactic.
We both agreed without his smash tipping the net half the time he wouldn't win many games at all.....

I am still jealous!  We have to play against each other!   I expect we are comparable. 

Are there rules on the serve pertaining to coming over it like a FH?  Does it have to be released then struck?  The one rule I am nearly certain of is it all has to go down behind tha back of the table right? 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1044 on: April 13, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »

I am still jealous!  We have to play against each other!   I expect we are comparable. 

Are there rules on the serve pertaining to coming over it like a FH?  Does it have to be released then struck?  The one rule I am nearly certain of is it all has to go down behind tha back of the table right? 
Dude, if you're checking me for rules we are FAR from comparable! :)>>>> :rofl_2:
It would be a shame if I had to slap you around on the table as well as the court.....
....and the buffet table....and the bar......
I think you've got me on Rodeo Night though!  My knees just don't hold up well to that sort of punishment anymo. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #1045 on: April 14, 2009, 08:07:46 AM »

Dude, if you're checking me for rules we are FAR from comparable! :)>>>> :rofl_2:
It would be a shame if I had to slap you around on the table as well as the court.....
I think you've got me on Rodeo Night though!  My knees just don't hold up well to that sort of punishment anymo. ;-()

I have never read any rules and have never played anything all official.  Just played some with friends at their houses back in the day.  You didn't answer the question. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1046 on: April 14, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »

I have never read any rules and have never played anything all official.  Just played some with friends at their houses back in the day.  You didn't answer the question. 
http://www.usatt.org/rules/index.shtml

The toss has to be visible at all times and  16cm high.
After hitting the ball doesn't have to go off the end.  It can bounce twice or go off the side.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #1047 on: April 14, 2009, 01:13:33 PM »
So basically my original question was why don't you see players hit a topspin FH serve?  If it is behind the table and the toss goes 16cm high and falls back down, and the opposing player can see the ball the whole time, and the toss is released from an open palm.  It seems to me that would be a more advantageous serve than the slice serves we always see.   

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1048 on: April 14, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
So basically my original question was why don't you see players hit a topspin FH serve?  If it is behind the table and the toss goes 16cm high and falls back down, and the opposing player can see the ball the whole time, and the toss is released from an open palm.  It seems to me that would be a more advantageous serve than the slice serves we always see.   
Long serves (i.e. FH topspin) are easier to attack.
Reaching over the table to return a short, undercut/sidespin serve is the most difficult to attack, therefore short (2 bounces or more before the end of the table) are used most.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #1049 on: April 14, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »
Reaching over the table to return a short, undercut/sidespin serve is the most difficult to attack, therefore short (2 bounces or more before the end of the table) are used most.

Are there rules regarding where you stand to return?  Cause why can't you just be ready for the short serve and reach up and smack it? 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1050 on: April 14, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »

Are there rules regarding where you stand to return?  Cause why can't you just be ready for the short serve and reach up and smack it? 
There is no 'smacking' of a short serve with severe underspin, ready or not.
Here's a pretty good illustration of just how much 'juice' is on the ball. 
[youtube]
[/youtube]
The severe underspin of the serve pulls the returners shot downward and must be compensated for.  Tricky stuff.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1051 on: April 14, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
They remind me of OSU's droppah.  We need to get a slow mo video of one of those.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1052 on: April 14, 2009, 04:45:11 PM »
They remind me of OSU's droppah.  We need to get a slow mo video of one of those.
I figured he played in Slo-Mo compared to you!!! :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1053 on: April 14, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »

Here's another one for ya.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmQDjFfxrGM [/youtube]
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1054 on: April 14, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »
I figured he played in Slo-Mo compared to you!!! :rofl_2:

Well, who doesn't?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #1055 on: April 15, 2009, 04:48:48 AM »
 :king: Just dropping in and saying hi!  :) How are you and your tennis doing?
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #1056 on: April 15, 2009, 07:58:56 AM »

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEhLzWUvSOA [/youtube]
The severe underspin of the serve pulls the returners shot downward and must be compensated for.  Tricky stuff.

Okay, but for element of surprise, why don't they bust a down the line serve with a quick flick of the wrist on a topspin FH serve.  Maybe it wouldn't work for the pros but it would have to work for rec players. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1057 on: April 15, 2009, 08:35:55 AM »

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEhLzWUvSOA [/youtube]

Okay, but for element of surprise, why don't they bust a down the line serve with a quick flick of the wrist on a topspin FH serve.  Maybe it wouldn't work for the pros but it would have to work for rec players. 
As in tennis, a variety of serves makes them all more effective.  The long topspin serve is by far the easiest to attack though.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #1058 on: April 30, 2009, 05:13:33 AM »
I am happy to see you having so much fun with table tennis  :)) watched the video!  :rofl_2:
Make sure you do not forgret our real game  ..-)
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1059 on: May 01, 2009, 04:30:15 AM »
I am happy to see you having so much fun with table tennis  :)) watched the video!  :rofl_2:
Make sure you do not forgret our real game  ..-)
I haven't forgotten Victor!
Am stringing up a couple racquets this a.m. and usually watch a bit of tennis each day, and follow along here of course! :)

Still, my on court activities have been shut down for now. :(
CONK da ball!!!