Author Topic: Tennis Dieting?  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Dieting?
« on: December 14, 2004, 10:10:17 AM »
How many of my fellow posters here actually watch their diet for tennis?  I wish I could say I did, but I have been gettign worse as time goes on.  Case in point, last night I get home from a match at 9:00 and I was hungry.  So I snack down some of the pizza in the fridge.  

I am not overweight, but I do weigh 5-6 pounds more than I did a year ago when I went to Nationals.  5-6 pounds is not bad, but when you are 5'-4" tall it is proportionally more than someone 5'-10" gaining 5 pounds.  I can tell I am not in the shape I was 5 years ago, but I still will hit longer than more of my league mates...

My Dad and I placed a bet when I was 14.  See, every male in my family is overweight.  Not grossly overweight, but a good 50-60 pounds sporting the belly look.  He bet me $50.00 that I would be overweight by the time I was 30.  If it was motivational intent or not, I will be collecting my $50.00 on Feb 12th 2005.  

But what do you guys/gals do to control the eating and stay focused for the tennis?  This is an area I am really not the familiar with.  Back in high school I played tennis 3-4 hours every day and lifted weights most days.  I ate what I wanted to and basically non stop.  I need to be in better shape especially as I am getting older.  I don't really lift weights anymore because it hurts my shoulder, and I need it for tennis.  Jogging is boring for me, so all I do is play tennis.  I play 3-4 times per week, but a lot of that is no officially doubles.  I do have a singles hitting partner that I hit with for about 3 hours at a time, and that feels great to hit that long.

The direction I am headed in recently, if my Dad made the bet for 31 years old I probably would of lost. : )
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline philip

• Tennis Enthusiast
Tennis Dieting?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 10:12:22 AM »
I can eat anything and not put weight on! Maybe thats 'cuz i do alot of running.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Dieting?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 10:20:37 AM »
How old are you?
Scott Baker

Offline tennisgeek

• Tennis Player
Tennis Dieting?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 10:34:01 AM »
I would be in big trouble if I did not play tennis, especially singles. I am 5'10" 180lbs and 43 yrs old and my diet is not very healthy at times especially around the holidays!!!. But since I started playing tennis, Ive managed to keep my weight and waistline the same for the last two years.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Dieting?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 10:41:11 AM »
Funny thing is my waist line looks the same, I am not sure where the weight I have gained is.  I hope I never find it.  Just shed it.
Scott Baker

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
Tennis Dieting?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 11:22:06 AM »
Weight managment is very very simple. There are 3500 calories in 1lb of fat. If you burn more calories than you eat....you burn fat and lose weight. If you eat more than you burn...it's the opposite. I have a body type of someone who was meant to be BIG....so it's a fight for me to stay fit. I still have an ice cream sandwhich every now and then, but I really lay off the alcohol. I pretty much eat what I want but I make good decisions. Pizza always sounds good and if it's not too greasy it's really not that bad for you....sure its full of carbs but if you bust your ass working out....there's no problem.

It's all about your approach to weight loss. If you think about it and dwell on how you can't eat something....and you do it everyday, you won't last a week. You have to put a goal in your mind. Remember that inside out forehand you crushed last week during a match! Remember how that felt, and how you had to move there to hit it! You wanna do that again and more often...so which means more? The 2 dozen chicken wings you could scarf down, or playing insane tennis next week?! It's all about motivation.

I will say this too. If the motivation to do well is internal, it sticks with you. I don't work out or practice with anyone except in team practice. I do it alone because its personal to me. I'm not out to prove myself to anyone but me! If I had a workout partner, and we told ourselves we needed to be eachother's motivation and then he didn't come to the gym..... I prolly wouldn't feel like working out....so If I go alone...I don't have an excuse like that not to go. Besides I just like saying.....I AM MY MOTIVATION!

This is why Agassi is my all time favorite player....his training regiment is second to none. Sprinting up hills? C'MON! That's just awesome....running up hills on christmas eve until you cough up blood....a lil nuts yes. But it shows you how truly passionate he is about the game. I try and follow the same guidelines....Constant improvement, relentless effort!
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Dieting?
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 11:37:46 AM »
://

I love it!  I am a very motivated individual.  I am just makign that transition to more dubs and we have our second kid on the way, and I sit in front of this pc and work more now than ever.  I need to make changes now or the changes will be taking place in my game and I fear that.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Dieting?
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »
Dang it!  Now I am hungry and only about 1 to 1 1/2 hours before dinner and I am going to wait it out.  Go forehand go!
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Tennis Dieting?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 03:39:23 PM »
I usually eat whatever I want...doesn't really affect my weight or my court-play, I dont think. Course I am a beastly teenage boy who needs at least 30 meals a day to keep him fullup  :)~  Just joking but I do eat a lot and it never really affected my appearance or movement on court. I'd say I weigh about 130 lbs right now so I know I'm not overweight..

In fact, I think I'll go have some brownies and doughnuts right now.  ;;) gosh, im such a fattie eating this kinda stuff at once!! lol jk