Author Topic: Indoors or Outdoors?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline jjw

• Tennis Player
re
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 01:45:22 PM »
Carpet Info.

The calendar says they are carpet but the are not. They are all played on a surface called Green Set, or Taraflex. They are layed down for the tournament and are rolled in just like a carpet arrives at your house. They melt the parts together with a heat gun. Taraflex is thicker and bouncier then Green Set.

The only place they play on real carpet is Germany. The ITF masters in Munich years back being the only one of that standard, most others are challengers or futures.

jjw

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Indoors or Outdoors?
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 04:46:18 PM »
I like inside....as others have said, it just gives a better feel. Makes your shots feel like they've got more zip and makes me feel lighter on my feet. In general, not really sure why but I just love the feel of inside. Maybe it's because its what I can't have -- I have outdoors courts all the time but to be indoors is rare and perhpas that's why its more desirable.

Despite my mumbo jumbo -- my vote is for indoors.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Indoors or Outdoors?
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 05:05:30 PM »
Actually playing on real or synthetic grass would be really sweet.  Played on Astroturf once but the I'd love to rally on the real thing.  Too bad there probably isn't one in the whole country because of the weather.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Anonymous

Re: re
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 08:37:54 PM »
Quote from: "jjw"
Carpet Info.

The calendar says they are carpet but the are not. They are all played on a surface called Green Set, or Taraflex. They are layed down for the tournament and are rolled in just like a carpet arrives at your house. They melt the parts together with a heat gun. Taraflex is thicker and bouncier then Green Set.

The only place they play on real carpet is Germany. The ITF masters in Munich years back being the only one of that standard, most others are challengers or futures.

jjw

Perhaps those are different versions of carpet?  Might not be though but it's easier to refer to them as one surface.  Sorta like European Clay, Red Clay, or that surface that inferior dirtballers play on in Houston during April but it's referred to as "clay."  All hardcourts seem to be different too on a professional and recreational level as well.

Offline jjw

• Tennis Player
re:
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 04:45:13 AM »
It might indeed be easier to call them the same. What i tried to say is that the tournaments mentioned are not played on carpet as known in Europe.What  the ATP refers to as carpet actually is not carpet at all. The name carpet has no bearing what so ever on the playing characterisitcs. It is basically a medium paced hardcourt.

jjw

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
outdoors
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2005, 11:57:24 AM »
I think that I like the outdoors better because not only do you get to be in the fresh air, there is the challenge of the wind or the cold air.  Also I like to wear under-armors while playing so I guess it would be cooler if it was outdoors. ;)
Be the change that you seek.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Indoors or Outdoors?
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2005, 12:00:43 PM »
I've always said that, if the conditions are right, it is very nice to play outdoors. Indoor play should be reserved for winter only, or if it seems like it will never stop raining, like in England even in summer.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Indoors or Outdoors?
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2005, 12:07:32 PM »
Well, since I've never found a indoor court in California I have to say I prefer outdoor hard courts. It's  a battle between you, your opponent and the elements. Clay courts aren't to bad either.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.