Tennis Discussions > Pro Player Forum

Clay Monster's Limitations

(1/1373) > >>

Clay Death:
here is a list of clay monster`s (nadal) limitations:

1. serve
2. return of serve
3. slice--it is useless
4. volley/net game--he needs to be more confident at being at the net to close/end points.

of these limitations listed, he can probably do without 2 and still dominate. first, he does not really need a big serve. if he could return with consistency and be somewhat aggressive with his return game, it will take a lot of pressure off that weak serve of his.

secondly, if you get to go in on your own terms, you dont have to be able to volley like roger or edberg.

he absolutely must develop a more effective slice and he has to find a way to return better. practice makes perfect.

Alison2006:

--- Quote from: "hercules" ---here is a list of clay monster`s (nadal) limitations:

1. serve
2. return of serve
3. slice--it is useless
4. volley/net game--he needs to be more confident at being at the net to close/end points.

of these limitations listed, he can probably do wothout 2 and still dominate. first, he doesnt really need a big serve. if he could return with consistency and be somewhat aggressive with his return game, it will take a lot of pressure off that weak serve of his.

secondly, if you get to go in on your own terms, you dont have to be able to volley like roger or edberg.

he absolutely must develop a more effective slice and he has to find a way to return better. practice makes perfect.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps you should call him Clay/Grass Monster........I dread to think what you call the other ATP Players  :;:-|

Anyway :

1) Serve.......I have been saying he needs to improve this for a while ( his 2nd serve needs improving Flipping fast)

4) I didn't see the match tonite...but he should come to the net more (at Wimbledon his volleys where quite good (but need improving...as does every other on the ATP tour..IMHO) I think he is Confident at the net, but he needs to do more often to shorten the points)

Just my thoughts   :)

Welcome BTW to the Forum  :)

jeffrx:
Clay Monster played a great match against Safin.  He was steady and returned serve well enough to win. He showed great toughness in the first set tiebreak.  

Safin head a classis meltdown.  After losing the first set he was not the same and started trying to overhit.  I think he was frustrated beacuse Nadal wasable to chase down all of his shots.    

Great win for Nadal on a hard court.

Clay Death:
thanks for the welcome alison. it is good to be here. i call nadal the clay monster and roger the king of grass.

the sport of tennis has had a long history of nick names. we will look into some of those nick names on another day.

in any case, he (clay monster) didnt play all that well today but won anyway. today would not have been good enough if he had to go against roger or even djokovic.

lets see how it goes it agaisnt mathiu tomorrow. mathiey is at career best #23 and has won something like 34 mathches this year. he is a dangerous player.

Clay Death:
jffrx i am not going to agree with you. clay monster didnt look sharp. but i will cut him some slack: he has had a knee problem and it is his first match on hard courts since spring.

hey jffrx, what happened to that picture of clay monster bro?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version