Author Topic: Clay Monster's Limitations  (Read 379372 times)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Re: Clay Monster's Limitations
« Reply #6760 on: January 30, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »

I hope that all the Rafa fans are following his blog. Its at:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24942082-10389,00.html

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #6761 on: January 30, 2009, 08:57:51 PM »

Thanks tennisfan, but as any Rafa fan would I have been following it since the beginning and I am pretty sure the rest of us here have to.  But I can only speak for myself.  But, thanks and looking forward to a great final. :)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #6762 on: January 30, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »

Thanks tennisfan, but as any Rafa fan would I have been following it since the beginning and I am pretty sure the rest of us here have to.  But I can only speak for myself.  But, thanks and looking forward to a great final. :)

I just came across that blog today, it was an interesting read. I am sure most of the fans must be following it for a while now lol.

yeah, the final should be a good one :H

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #6763 on: February 01, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
prof hercs, rafael the warrior king while being at 60% running on pure adrenaline with his limitless will as the armour, somehow does the undone and creates history..........winning 3 slams on 3 major surfaces under 1 year.........party time for us..........

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #6764 on: February 01, 2009, 05:25:32 PM »
Once again, congrats to everyone who is a fan and enjoy this, Rafa.  You totally deserve it and just rest up as much as possible.  You have nothing to prove right now so hopefully the pressure is off for a little while (until Rotterdam). :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:54:35 PM by tain316 »

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #6765 on: February 01, 2009, 05:58:07 PM »
Congrats to Rafa and his fans on his victory  :applause:  :worthy:  :worthy:

I have not posted on Rafa in some time (due to my posting elsewhere on Rafa)  :gleam:

I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #6766 on: February 03, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
I think Herc has runned away.  :Confused:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #6767 on: February 03, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »
I think Herc has runned away.  :Confused:

Guess he was just "using" us until he got 'un-band' from MTF... Now he's run back to his 'first love'.  But when they ban him again, he'll probably run back to us.  Wonder if we will accept him again? :whistle:  ok... sure we will... ;-()

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #6768 on: February 04, 2009, 06:34:36 AM »
Oz: The A-List 
Posted 02/02/2009 @ 7 :09 PM

From the temperature of the air to the emotions on the court, the word that best describes this year’s Australian Open is overheated. It was also very satisfying: The winners showed strength under pressure and left no question about their positions at the top of the sport, while the two men’s finalists gave us more of themselves than they ever have before. I’ll start my report cards this time with them. The rest can wait until tomorrow.

Rafael Nadal
These last two weeks were a voyage of conquest for Nadal. He extended his dominion to Australia, and onto the sport’s hard courts. In the process, he was more fun to watch then ever—he played a hair faster, looked better showing less arm and more knee, debuted a streamlined update of his traditionally gutsy game, and pushed himself to what we can only assume are his emotional and physical limits over the final weekend. In the end, he left us wondering again just where those limits might be, and if he’ll ever run into them.

Nadal is a champion in many ways. He’s the king of clay, he’s No. 1 in the world, and he could even challenge for the Grand Salami this season. But for the moment, it’s worth appreciating that he is, above all else, the undisputed master at beating Roger Federer, most people’s choice for the greatest tennis player ever. The Swiss star has cruised in unprecedented fashion against everyone else for years, encountering very little resistance from any other player. Because of this, his regular losses to Nadal seemed to demand some kind of explanation; there must have been extenuating circumstances—Nadal was in his head, Federer couldn’t read his spin, it was a clay thing, he wasn’t using the right tactics. Darren Cahill's recommendation Sunday that Federer use the drop volley was just the latest example in a long line of dubious magic-bullet advice for him when he plays Nadal—if he only used his slice more, if he only came in all the time, if he only served wide, if he only ran around his background, if he only hit down the middle, if he only hit more winners, if he only won.

I thought the reason Nadal succeeded against Federer was that, from the first time they played and Nadal won in Key Biscayne in 2004, the Spaniard didn’t treat a match against the world No. 1 any differently from a match against anyone else. He would never entertain the idea that playing close against Federer and losing was acceptable. But I never really believed that Nadal was a better tennis player than Federer. Can I continue to think that now that he’s beaten him on grass and hard courts, in major finals on three continents? The Aussie final upended some of my impressions of their dynamic. Federer has always been thought to be tennis’ renaissance man, his creativity unrivaled; but it was Nadal, with his superior drop shot, invincible overhead, tricky serve, fearsome crosscourt backhand, skidding backhand slice, and reliable volleys, who showed off more variety, a more complete game, and more ways to win in Melbourne. Who knows what the future will bring, but Nadal climbed one step higher in my mind on Sunday. He’s no longer tennis’ greatest overachiever. He’s no longer the kryptonite to Federer’s superman. He’s no longer just ranked No. 1. He’s the best. A+

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #6769 on: February 04, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
come clay season, there is no prayer on earth for anyone.........only submission to the clay monster.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #6770 on: February 04, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »
come clay season, there is no prayer on earth for anyone.........only submission to the clay monster.........

Scary to think of it, but this time I agree with you.

Vamos, Rafa!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #6771 on: February 04, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »

Scary to think of it, but this time I agree with you.

Vamos, Rafa!

ok........

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6772 on: February 04, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »

affirmative. only submission and death. clay is the ultimate battlefield of the gods. it is there he does his best work.

the warrior king was born, bred, and trained to kill on clay.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6773 on: February 04, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »
Second serves: Transformation of Nadal-Federerby Zack Pierce, FOXSports.com

The three French Open losses? It's OK, it's clay. The Wimbledon loss? Nadal was bound to get him eventually. But whatever slack we previously wanted to cut the great Swiss, there's none available for this defeat. The truth is out there in plain sight.
Shortly after midnight Monday morning, Melbourne time, Rafael Nadal became the greatest tennis player currently swinging a racket.
It wasn't the victory itself — a 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-2 classic that wowed an Aussie crowd that had waited 20 years for a decent men's final — that makes Nadal the best. The quality of play was more or less equal from both players (Federer actually won more points in the match, 174-173). It was the way Federer lost it, unraveling into a tangled mess of physical errors and mental exhaustion. His fifth set was a jarring reminder of his humanity — filled with poor tennis, rushed decisions and outbursts of the kinds of emotions we're used to seeing his opponents display in the waning moments of another inevitable shortcoming.

That fifth set began with Federer challenging Nadal's first serve in the first game — a service winner down the middle that was proved good by the review. It was an omen of things to come. Federer continued to give points away in the set with sloppy errors. A backhand into the tape gave Nadal a break to go up 3-1. In the decisive game, a double fault gave Nadal a 0-30 lead, and — fittingly — it ended on a forehand error sent just past the baseline.

And when it was all said and done, Nadal collapsed to the court and then met Federer for a half-embrace at the net — a scene eerily reminiscent of the immediate moments after the conclusion of the '08 Wimbledon final. The big difference? Federer couldn't keep himself together this time.

At the customary post-match speech to the crowd, Federer broke into tears. ESPN2 camera shots cut to his girlfriend, Mirka Vavrinec, holding her hand over her mouth, stunned at the sight. More than just Federer's serve had been broken in this match, so had his resolve.

Federer knows he can beat everyone else on tour. He's starting to doubt he can ever beat Nadal again. How else to explain those tears?

"I didn't spend 4½ hours out there (not) believing it," Federer said after the match.

No great competitor would. But the full gravity of the situation wasn't apparent until that match point forehand sailed long and reality took hold.

Roger Federer let his emotions out after losing the Aussie Open final. (Andrew Brownbill / Associated Press)

Nadal was supposed to be tired in this match, a fact no commentator would let you forget. It had taken him 5 hours, 14 minutes to dispatch countryman Fernando Verdasco in the semifinals just two nights before — the longest match ever at the Australian Open. Federer had played his semifinal a night before that and thus had an extra night off.

Advantage: Roger. Right?

Not even close. Nadal — and the rest of us — discovered who he truly was in this match. Fatigue wasn't going to stop him. Nothing was going to stop him. You can't call him a clay-courter anymore. You can't brush off the Wimbledon win. He has won a Slam on all surfaces now, and all you can call him is the best.

One great champion ascended to new heights in the wee hours of a Melbourne morning. Another sunk to a strange new low. And that's the way it stands.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #6774 on: February 05, 2009, 12:14:05 AM »

congratulations Herc. It was huge win for Rafa. He did show again that he is the man to beat right now. He is just incredible.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6775 on: February 05, 2009, 12:26:19 AM »

congratulations Herc. It was huge win for Rafa. He did show again that he is the man to beat right now. He is just incredible.

thanks tennisfan. you are one of the best ever. i have always liked your style.

it is indeed a big win for that obscure clay courter from Mallorca. he is obscure no more. i am just amazed at his ability to concentrate and focus for so long in any one given match.

verdasco hit 95 winners against him and it did not shake him. he would just absorb a hit after hit and a blow after blow and just keep going.

good to see you around tennisfan.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #6776 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »

Sometimes I feel like Rafa doesnt get enough credit for what he has been doing. Just look at this guy and what he has done over the past few years. He is pretty much unbeatable on clay and every one labeled him as a clay courter. He said he would like to win at wimbledon, but most thought it may not happen. He proved every one wrong and became the wimbledon champion. He was never content and kept on improving to become the new champion at AO on a totally surface.

The guy has tremendous will power and his never say die attitude is just incredible. He never seems to be tired and it is a monster task to beat him in a best of 5 set format, no matter what the surface is. when his game is on, he produces so few errors. Some of the winners he hits from ridiculous court positions both on forehand and backhand sides is unreal. And we all know how good his defensive skills are.

I dont know how long he will be able to maintain this high level of tennis, but one has to appreciate everything he is doing.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6777 on: February 05, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »

Sometimes I feel like Rafa doesnt get enough credit for what he has been doing. Just look at this guy and what he has done over the past few years. He is pretty much unbeatable on clay and every one labeled him as a clay courter. He said he would like to win at wimbledon, but most thought it may not happen. He proved every one wrong and became the wimbledon champion. He was never content and kept on improving to become the new champion at AO on a totally surface.

The guy has tremendous will power and his never say die attitude is just incredible. He never seems to be tired and it is a monster task to beat him in a best of 5 set format, no matter what the surface is. when his game is on, he produces so few errors. Some of the winners he hits from ridiculous court positions both on forehand and backhand sides is unreal. And we all know how good his defensive skills are.

I dont know how long he will be able to maintain this high level of tennis, but one has to appreciate everything he is doing.

excellent post tennisfan. we are all so lucky to actually witness not 1 but 2 all time greats right before our eyes.

they have both lifted the sport to new heights.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6778 on: February 06, 2009, 12:58:06 AM »
Nadal hailed at home as first Spaniard to win Aussie title
Feb. 1, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports   

MADRID, Spain -- The Spanish press heralded Rafael Nadal's Australian Open victory on Sunday only minutes after the top-ranked player became the first Spaniard to win the season-opening Grand Slam.

Advertisement 

Nadal beat Roger Federer 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-2 at the Rod Laver Arena to win his sixth major trophy and third straight Grand Slam final over Federer, who was denied a chance to tie Pete Sampras' record 14 major titles.

"Nadal reaffirms his legend in Australia," the Diario De Mallorca wrote on the front page of its website.

El Mundo's website called the victory "Undeniably Nadal," and AS labeled the 22-year-old from Mallorca the "King of Australia."

Nadal has won three of the last four majors after taking a fourth straight French Open and first Wimbledon title in 2008. Nadal replaced Federer at No. 1 after a record 237 weeks in August and then won the Olympic gold medal at the Beijing Games.

"He's a great champion, and a great example to all of the young people through the world," said Emilio Sanchez Vicario, Spain's former Davis Cup captain.

Nadal has won five of the seven Grand Slam finals he's played against Federer and is 13-6 overall against the Swiss star.

Three Spanish players had reached the Australian Open final before Nadal, with Carlos Moya being the last when he lost to Sampras in 1997

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #6779 on: February 06, 2009, 07:38:51 AM »

excellent post tennisfan.........you just said what was on our minds.........the tennis world should give him much more credit than what he is actually getting and you are 100% right when you say that.........kudos for such a bold and honest post, you are by far my favorite fed-fan on this forum..........