Author Topic: Clay Monster's Limitations  (Read 397741 times)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Re: Clay Monster's Limitations
« Reply #6780 on: February 06, 2009, 07:52:56 AM »

Sometimes I feel like Rafa doesnt get enough credit for what he has been doing. Just look at this guy and what he has done over the past few years. He is pretty much unbeatable on clay and every one labeled him as a clay courter. He said he would like to win at wimbledon, but most thought it may not happen. He proved every one wrong and became the wimbledon champion. He was never content and kept on improving to become the new champion at AO on a totally surface.

The guy has tremendous will power and his never say die attitude is just incredible. He never seems to be tired and it is a monster task to beat him in a best of 5 set format, no matter what the surface is. when his game is on, he produces so few errors. Some of the winners he hits from ridiculous court positions both on forehand and backhand sides is unreal. And we all know how good his defensive skills are.

I dont know how long he will be able to maintain this high level of tennis, but one has to appreciate everything he is doing.

Thank You so much tennisfan...truly you are a fan of Tennis....this coming froma  Fed fan means a lot to us Rafans  :)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6781 on: February 06, 2009, 07:58:27 AM »

Sometimes I feel like Rafa doesnt get enough credit for what he has been doing. Just look at this guy and what he has done over the past few years. He is pretty much unbeatable on clay and every one labeled him as a clay courter. He said he would like to win at wimbledon, but most thought it may not happen. He proved every one wrong and became the wimbledon champion. He was never content and kept on improving to become the new champion at AO on a totally surface.

The guy has tremendous will power and his never say die attitude is just incredible. He never seems to be tired and it is a monster task to beat him in a best of 5 set format, no matter what the surface is. when his game is on, he produces so few errors. Some of the winners he hits from ridiculous court positions both on forehand and backhand sides is unreal. And we all know how good his defensive skills are.

I dont know how long he will be able to maintain this high level of tennis, but one has to appreciate everything he is doing.

excellent post tennisfan. we are all so lucky to actually witness not 1 but 2 all time greats right before our eyes.

they have both lifted the sport to new heights.

With a few minor improvements, it is possible that Rafa may lift the bar even higher yet! :shocking:
We are left to wonder what it will take (and if it's humanely possible) to push the envelope even higher. :confused1:
What will the game look like in another 5-10 years!

In response to tennisfans comment re: underappreciation of Rafa-  if it is indeed the case that he is viewed in that respect, his place among the all-time greats (if not already secured) should be finalized this year with victories at RG and quite possibly Wimbledon.

I agree Herc, and I've said it before, this is quite possibly the best era ever to be a tennis fan, thanks to the likes of Nadal, Fed, Murray, and Nole (and the rest of the top players!).  After decades of being considered a 'country club' pasttime, I think pro tennis has finally entered the realm of being considered a sport. ://
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #6782 on: February 06, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »

excellent post tennisfan. we are all so lucky to actually witness not 1 but 2 all time greats right before our eyes.

With a few minor improvements, it is possible that Rafa may lift the bar even higher yet! :shocking:
We are left to wonder what it will take (and if it's humanely possible) to push the envelope even higher. :confused1:

In response to tennisfans comment re: underappreciation of Rafa-  if it is indeed the case that he is viewed in that respect, his place among the all-time greats (if not already secured) should be finalized this year with victories at RG and quite possibly Wimbledon.

I agree Herc, and I've said it before, this is quite possibly the best era ever to be a tennis fan, thanks to the likes of Nadal, Fed, Murray, and Nole (and the rest of the top players!).  After decades of being considered a 'country club' pasttime, I think pro tennis has finally entered the realm of being considered a sport. ://

affirmative monstah. i live on a golf course and often go to the country club for a drink. all these old folks are talking about the Clay Monster, Fed, and Murray. and they are golfers.

the sport is being lifted right before our eyes.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6783 on: February 06, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »

affirmative monstah. i live on a golf course and often go to the country club for a drink. all these old folks are talking about the Clay Monster, Fed, and Murray. and they are golfers.

In more ways than one I see! ;-()
Perhaps I shall do some lifting AT the bar this evening.  A pint or 2 to quench the thirst.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6784 on: February 06, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »

In more ways than one I see! ;-()
Perhaps I shall do some lifting AT the bar this evening.  A pint or 2 to quench the thirst.

happy lifting.

i just got a good run in. you just know what came next. you guessed it. some ice cold beer.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6785 on: February 06, 2009, 04:44:53 PM »
Never be afraid to live the High Life!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUKLUwQZt8 [/youtube]
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6786 on: February 07, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »
enter the mighty Clay Monster the high priest of death. his latest fascination with hard courts which are sure to wreck his knees continues in Rotterdam where is playing both singles and doubles:

7th of February

Newly-crowned Australian Open champion, Rafa Nadal will continue his assault on hardcourts with an opening round match against Italian, Simone Bolleli, after the draw ceremony of the ABN AMRO WTT Rotterdam Open was revealed in Holand on Friday night.

He's expected to arrive in Rotterdam on Sunday to start training for his doubles and singles matches. On monday he will play doubles and most likely will play singles on Wednesday.

Rafa is looking to continue an amazing start to the season and hopefully with that, stablish himself as a hardcourt master. However, there is a long way to go, on his way:

He could meet Tomas Berdych in the second round. If he makes it past Tomas, there could be a potential quarter-final clash with french star Jo-Wilfred Tsonga  and in the finals he could expect Nikolay Davydenko, Igor Andreev, big-serving Croat Ivo Karlovic or Gael Monfils.

General Shankski the supreme commander of the armies to the east, I think we should be thanking Simon for that Australian Open crown.

Simon, as i had suggested before that match, provided excatly the right test and practice. Warrior King was short on match play and practice. his ground game was not sharp enough and he needed to hit a ton of balls.

Simon came along at precisely the right time to provide the opportunity to hit a ton of balls. i just came across this article that somebody wrote.
check this article out:

January 28, 2009 - Most Nadal matches are riveting      
Just finished watching two hours and 28 minutes of riveting Rafael Nadal tennis. Most Nadal matches are riveting, especially when these Slams reach the rarefied air of the quarterfinal round, but this one was a particularly strong attention getter.

If you knew anything about Gilles Simon (Jeals Sea-moe for you aspiring Francophiles), you knew there would be long rallies, and there were. I'm sure Nadal would agree this was a superior test of his skill and will, despite the 6-2, 7-5, 7-5 straight-set takedown. Simon had a point to win the second set, which would have made things even more interesting, and I'll get back to that in a jif.

He's 24, going into his fourth pro year, and he's developed a beautiful game that is one part Andy Murray, one part Mats Wilander, one part John McEnroe. He's not big-banger, though he's perfectly capable of crashing short forehands to any open spot on the court and a backhand down the line, from behind his baseline, that was flat and hard enough to whip Nadal a few times last night.

He is a beautiful runner. Not nearly among the top-10 fastest players on the ATP tour, but the synchronicity between his steps and his stroking, especially running to the backhand side, is exquisite. And he has a very sneaky good slice serve into the deuce court that got Nadal's attention early in this match.

By mid-first set, Nadal was virtually camped with both feet inside the deuce court doubles alley after Simon had finessed two or three short-angled slice serves that left Rafa waving at air. From that point on, Nadal's adjustment pretty much neutralized the Simon slice serve. Unfortunately for Simon, however, he could not hit the flat one down the T into the deuce court with any consistency to take advantage of Nadal's "cheating" into the alley.

Simon didn't play nearly well enough to compete in the opening set, but there was no panic. He played his game, which is retrievals, safe and deep shots, and the patience to wait for the opening. His backhand is certainly the better of the two ground strokes. It's compact and, because he doesn't have a long backswing, he can hold the shot that split-second longer, disguising where he's going. The forehand, however, is a bit of a problem if he hopes to stay in the top 10.

It's a big, looping backswing that works just fine when he's got time to set up. But he needs to get better hitting running forehands, and it was all too obvious that Nadal was maneuvering throughout the crucial parts of this match to get inside-outs to drive the ball cross-court to Simon's forehand side. Because of the long backswing, he doesn't arrive for those balls with the best balance or the best chance to return deep and safe. It took him two sets to start dealing with that tactic, and he never really solved it.

He had set point at 5-4 in the second set, but Nadal just played his game, whacking a forehand cross-court so sharply to the corner that Simon could only throw up a lob in return. Set point saved. That's one of the reasons why he's No. 1.

It's hard to think of tennis as cyclical with the always improving racket technology, but maybe we are seeing a comeback from the smaller players who don't play muscle tennis. Simon is not short at 5-foot-11, but he's packing only 143 pounds, and it shows on his spindly frame. Still, he doesn't seem to be set back by injuries. Maybe it's because he isn't trying to crush every ball he hits.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 06:01:35 PM by hercules »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #6787 on: February 08, 2009, 10:12:19 AM »
good read, prof hercs........simon is certainly talented and it was just the right kind of match rafael needed to have........i watched quite a few matches of simon.........let me tell you one thing........he is very deceptive in his groundstrokes........most of the times, he looks to be a pusher but he varies that pace well........sometimes those forehands stun the opponent with too much pace.........good finisher at the net too........he has better skills than say roddick or hewitt.........definitely a player to watch this year..........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #6788 on: February 08, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »
Spain | Tennis | 06-02 | 12:41 ET

Marca.com

Nadal attends Conde de Godo

Rafael Nadal, who recently took the Aussie Open, confirmed his participation at Conde de Godo tournament to be held in April.
Rafael Nadal, Conde-de-Godo champion in the last four years, thinks of the event as "one of the most important tournaments on clay."

"The quality of the players taking part of it every year turned it into a special, worldwide known tournament. As for me, it's even more special because it is held at home, at my club, and I had the privilege of having clinched the title in the last four years," Nadal said.

This will be the first time Nadal attends Conde de Godo as no. 1 tennis player in the world. He made his debut as a professional player in Barcelona (when he was 16), won 21 of 22 matches held there. In addition, he is the only player winning the singles title four years in 56 years.

Tenis Barcelona president Albert Agusti thinks Nadal's presence "confirms the tournament's position at ATP." It is now an ATP World Tour 500.

"It's an honor for us that Rafael Nadal confirms his presence at the tournament; we're sure this is good news for the fans, who come here year by year," Agusti remarked.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6789 on: February 08, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »
good read, prof hercs........simon is certainly talented and it was just the right kind of match rafael needed to have........i watched quite a few matches of simon.........let me tell you one thing........he is very deceptive in his groundstrokes........most of the times, he looks to be a pusher but he varies that pace well........sometimes those forehands stun the opponent with too much pace.........good finisher at the net too........he has better skills than say roddick or hewitt.........definitely a player to watch this year..........

affirmative general shankski the supreme commander of the armies to the east. i firmly believe that Simon came at exactly the right time for the warrior king at the Australian Open.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6790 on: February 09, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »
enter the Clay Monster the ultimate doomsday stroking machine. he is out unleash a few topspin cyclones in Rotterdam:

STOP PRESS
8th February

The draw for the ABN AMRO WTT Rotterdam is out. Rafa's first opponent in the singles will be Simone Bolelli from Italy. Their match will take place on Wednesday evening at 19h30 CET, 6:30pm GMT, 1:30pm EST Rafa is also playing doubles together with the Spaniard Ignacio Coll-Riudavets. They will play their first doubles match against Arnaud Clement & MichaŽl Llodra on Monday at 14h00 CET, 1pm GMT, 8am EST

Work out times in your time zone with this handy converter.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:48:31 AM by hercules »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6791 on: February 09, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »
here is his 2009 calender. check it out:

2009RAFA'S TOURNAMENTS CALENDAR     
01.01.2009 Abu Dhabi, UAE Exhibition - Capitala World Tennis Championship  Hard Court 6
05.01.2009 Doha, Qatar Qatar ExxonMobil Open  Outdoor, Hard 32
19.01.2009 Melbourne, Australia Australian Open - GRAND SLAM  Outdoor, Hard 128
09.02.2009 Rotterdam, The Netherlands ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament  Hard 32
23.02.2009 Dubai, U.A.E. Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships  Outdoor Hard 32
06.03.2009 Parque Tematico Terra Mitica, Benidorm - SPAIN Davis Cup: Spain vs Serbia  Clay (Red Clay) - Outdoors 2
12.03.2009 Indian Wells, California, USA ATP World Tour Masters 1000  Outdoor Hard 96
25.03.2009 Miami, FL, U.S.A. ATP World Tour Masters 1000  Outdoor Hard 96
13.04.2009 Monte Carlo, Monaco ATP World Tour Masters 1000  Outdoor Clay 56
20.04.2009 Barcelona, Spain Open Sabadell AtlŠntico 2008  Outdoor Clay 56
27.04.2009 Rome, Italy ATP World Tour Masters 1000  Outdoor Clay 56
10.05.2009 Madrid, Spain  ATP World Tour Masters 1000  Outdoor Clay 56
25.05.2009 Paris, France Roland Garros - GRAN SLAM  Outdoor Clay 128
08.06.2009 London , Great Britain Queen's Club - AEGON Championships  Outdoor Grass 56
22.06.2009 London , Great Britain Wimbledon - GRAND SLAM  Outdoor Grass 128
10.08.2009 Montreal, Canada ATP World Tour Masters 1000  Outdoor Hard 56
16.08.2009 Cincinnati, OH, U.S.A. ATP World Tour Masters 1000  Outdoor Hard 128
31.08.2009 NY, U.S.A. US OPEN - GRAND SLAM  Outdoor Hard 128
12.10.2009 Shanghai, China ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Shanghai  Outdoor Hard 56
08.11.2009 Paris, France ATP World Tour Masters 1000  Indoor Hard 48
22.11.2009 London, England Barclays ATP World Tour Finals,  Indoor Hard

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #6792 on: February 11, 2009, 07:41:43 AM »
That looks a lot Hercs!  so what's his doubles scheduling?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6793 on: February 11, 2009, 09:06:37 AM »

good question falcon princess the fairest of them in all of asia.

he will probably play doubles in the following events:

1. Dubai
2. Indian Wells
3. Miami Masters
4. Monte Carlo
5. Barcelona

i sure as hell hope he doesnt play any more doubles than that until Roland Garros and Wimbledon titles are in the bag.

i will be pissed if he plays doubles in Rome and in Madrid.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #6794 on: February 11, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »

1. Dubai
2. Indian Wells
3. Miami Masters
4. Monte Carlo
5. Barcelona

i sure as hell hope he doesnt play any more doubles than that until Roland Garros and Wimbledon titles are in the bag.

well hercs dearest, I suppose he loves playing doubles in all of spain...well heavens can help him then  :(  But he's doing so well for now that I hope he just continues to do well.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6795 on: February 11, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »

1. Dubai
2. Indian Wells
3. Miami Masters
4. Monte Carlo
5. Barcelona

well hercs dearest, I suppose he loves playing doubles in all of spain...well heavens can help him then  :(  But he's doing so well for now that I hope he just continues to do well.

the schedule ahead is just brutal. he has to pace himself for now but evidently has no desire to do so.

STOP PRESS
11th February

Rafa's first round match at the ABN AMRO WTT Rotterdam against Simone Bolelli was really tough. He looked really uncomfortable with the fast court in the first set and after failing to capitalise on a couple of break points in the fourth game he then dropped serve which was enough to lose him the set. It went with serve in the second set until Rafa stormed through to take four games in a row to even things up. The last set went right up to the wire. There were a couple of games at the beginning and near the end where Rafa had numerous break points but still failed to win the game. Finally, though he got broke to win the match 4-6 6-2 7-5.

He will face rising teenage star Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria in the next round. The match is scheduled for 19:30 CET, 6:30pm GMT, 1:30pm EST on Thursday 12th.

On Monday Rafa and Ignacio Coll-Riudavets lost their doubles match against Arnaud Clement & MichaŽl Llodra 3-6 4-6

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #6796 on: February 12, 2009, 12:21:36 PM »

the schedule ahead is just brutal. he has to pace himself for now but evidently has no desire to do so.

STOP PRESS
11th February

Rafa's first round match at the ABN AMRO WTT Rotterdam against Simone Bolelli was really tough. He looked really uncomfortable with the fast court in the first set and after failing to capitalise on a couple of break points in the fourth game he then dropped serve which was enough to lose him the set. It went with serve in the second set until Rafa stormed through to take four games in a row to even things up. The last set went right up to the wire. There were a couple of games at the beginning and near the end where Rafa had numerous break points but still failed to win the game. Finally, though he got broke to win the match 4-6 6-2 7-5.

He will face rising teenage star Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria in the next round. The match is scheduled for 19:30 CET, 6:30pm GMT, 1:30pm EST on Thursday 12th.

On Monday Rafa and Ignacio Coll-Riudavets lost their doubles match against Arnaud Clement & MichaŽl Llodra 3-6 4-6

Tough draw in the dubs - Clement and Llodra are, uh, decent :) 
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6797 on: February 13, 2009, 12:20:20 AM »
enter the Clay Monster. his next vicitim is Tsonga but he has to find a way to return well. rest will take care of itself. this means some timely breaks. this also allows him to be more relaxed on his own serve.

STOP PRESS
12th February

Rafa's second round match at the ABN AMRO WTT Rotterdam against Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria was just as tough as the first round. Rafa broke serve in the first game but then lost concentration midway through the set and got broken back. A run of 12 points saw him finally take it. The second set went to Dimitrov so it went to a decider. It started off going with serve but then Rafa took the last four games despite having a few struggles on serve. Final score 7-5 3-6 6-2.

He'll play Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in hte quarter finals tomorrow. The match is scheduled for 19:30 CET, 6:30pm GMT, 1:30pm EST on Thursday 12th.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #6798 on: February 13, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »
Actually these days i'm just bothered about Rafa's victories in GS...he's a different animal in GS...these matches are just practices...he'll win atleast 5-6 (the worst possible) ATP titles and his GS wins will secure his ranking on top. So actually I'm already starting to look at his victories in slams and his march towards double digits in slam record.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6799 on: February 13, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »
Actually these days i'm just bothered about Rafa's victories in GS...he's a different animal in GS...these matches are just practices...he'll win atleast 5-6 (the worst possible) ATP titles and his GS wins will secure his ranking on top. So actually I'm already starting to look at his victories in slams and his march towards double digits in slam record.

affirmative. he has to perform at the slams. the next 2 are in the bag if he just plays his cards right. i am sure he will.