Author Topic: Vamos Rafael!  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Vamos Rafael!
« on: February 26, 2005, 10:15:42 PM »
Holy Crap! He kicked this guys arse! Badly!  
6-1 6-0! I was wrong, not by much but this was awesome! This is really gonna boost his ranking. He was in the 30s  i believe last year before the stress fracture. And so this helps. he is 39 hopefully he'll get a seeding at the French.
Its all good...

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Vamos Rafael!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 10:35:10 PM »
How cow, pure dominance.  I suspect he will be a top 10 player easily if he stays healthy.  I am liking this guy!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Vamos Rafael!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 10:40:38 PM »
who isnt liking him?! He is so smooth and hes like MOya but with more fire. Hes a righty who plays lefty Moya plays opposite his dominant side. Both from Mallorca. Both at one time were Spains great hope. And hopefully Nadal will win the French. And more. But what i really admire is his hopes, he said in an article that of all the slams he wants Wimby. He knows hes better on clay and he knows its tougher for him. He said because as a junior he won there (semis) and thought thats where e belonged. That was his "epiphany" so to speak. I see him doing better in France and Oz. But i honestly dont know how he is on grass.
Its all good...

Offline rhubarb

• Tennis Addict
Vamos Rafael!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 03:19:38 AM »
Actually, winning this match doesn't improve his ranking at all.  31 he was, and 31 he stays.  But his whole run in South America certainly has bumped his ranking up and he should comfortably make all the clay TMS events now (which is much more than I can say for Juan Carlos Ferrero).

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Vamos Rafael!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »
Why did this win not improve his ATP ranking?

Offline rhubarb

• Tennis Addict
Vamos Rafael!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 09:18:33 AM »
Getting to the final in Acapulco meant Nadal had 1060 points.  Nicolas Kiefer above him has 1140.  An extra 75 points for winning the final wasn't enough to take him above Kiefer.

I'm not trying to play down his achievements though by any means; he's moved up a lot of places (nearly 20) in the last few weeks, and will have no problem getting into all the TMS events this spring.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Vamos Rafael!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 09:31:44 AM »
That is too bad his ranking doesn't go up.  At least he is in the seedings for a slam.  And after this clay court season I have to believe he will EASILY be in the top 20.  EASILY.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com