Author Topic: Tennis Torrent site  (Read 14941 times)

Offline Ringworm

• New Poster
Tennis Torrent site
« on: August 21, 2007, 03:44:57 AM »
Hi all,

I have created this site in order for people to be able to get tennis matches through torrents.

www.tennistorrents.com

It's a mix of brand new and old matches and it's growing by the day :)

Thanks

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Tennis Torrent site
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:44:02 AM »
awesome.. I'll look into it this evening :))

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Tennis Torrent site
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:48:56 AM »
Bump.

The list of matches is growing. A few US Open matches are available. Not too many WTA though.
The more people register on this, the better it can get.
The beauty of this is that we can get matches only shown on EuroSport, like the Paris Masters or even smaller events like Beijing if they become available.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
Re: Tennis Torrent site
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 10:10:11 PM »
Bump again.... ;-()
Got some new members here. I don't know how many new members are involved in torrents, but this site has a number good matches to download and share.
I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to getting and collecting tennis video. I just got a torrent from this site which is the 2007 Wimbledon final. It is 7.5 gig. It's a huge file, but patience will reward you with the most gorgeous video of a tennis match you will ever see. That is unless you got to watch the final in HiDef.
It's the HiDef BBC feed. It's resolution is 1280x720. It's like being in the bloody stadium it so good! :lust: :drool:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 11:42:53 PM »
Bump again.... ;-()
Got some new members here. I don't know how many new members are involved in torrents, but this site has a number good matches to download and share.
I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to getting and collecting tennis video. I just got a torrent from this site which is the 2007 Wimbledon final. It is 7.5 gig. It's a huge file, but patience will reward you with the most gorgeous video of a tennis match you will ever see. That is unless you got to watch the final in HiDef.
It's the HiDef BBC feed. It's resolution is 1280x720. It's like being in the bloody stadium it so good! :lust: :drool:

How is the BBC commentary dmastous?? Ted Robinsons non stop talking during the points sometimes gives me headache. And how long it take to download it?

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
I haven't downloaded any (and so am not sharing any either).. too small a harddrive and too many large software taking up the bulk of it. I want something though so maybe I will.

Ok I am currently torrenting 2006 Rome final and 1981 USOpen final.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:51:08 AM by pawan89 »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 10:01:35 AM »
I haven't downloaded any (and so am not sharing any either).. too small a harddrive and too many large software taking up the bulk of it. I want something though so maybe I will.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. Just fired it up! :))

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:04:39 AM »
Bump again.... ;-()

How is the BBC commentary dmastous?? Ted Robinsons non stop talking during the points sometimes gives me headache. And how long it take to download it?

To be honest I wasn't paying too much attention the commentary. I was marveling at the picture quality! If you think as Alison does (and I guess other Brits here) the commentary is crap. Andrew Castle, whom they despise. Conners is also there, and another guy. But I didn't catch his name. They also had an interview with Boris Becker and Rusedski during the open.
Did I mention the picture quality? It's outstanding!  ..-)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 10:05:13 AM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:13:21 AM »

Borg vs. Mcenroe Wimbledon 1980 and 1981 is also up, but If i remembered right the 1981 usopen was the classic right?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 11:14:48 AM by pawan89 »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

Borg vs. Mcenroe Wimbledon 1980 and 1981 is also up, but If i remembered right the 1981 usopen was the classic right?

It was before the time I was totally into tennis. I was just picking up interest. I don't know if it was a classic. But I guess any Borg/Mac final is worth watching.
I've got the DVDs of the two Borg/Mac matches.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:22:34 AM »
Ok so I was wrong, I actually torrented the Wimbledon 81 final. And its done. And I watched it. and ti was good.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 07:09:59 AM »
Hey guys, I registered on torrents site and spent 2 hours trying to download a match and still can't get it started.  Have been through the faqs several times and just can't figure it out.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
Hey guys, I registered on torrents site and spent 2 hours trying to download a match and still can't get it started.  Have been through the faqs several times and just can't figure it out.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

are you a torrent newbie?

I'll post this article here that way others who might not know that much can also join in, here's the sorta technical intro to torrent
Quote from: wisegeek.com
Torrents are specialized files utilized in peer-to-peer (P2P) network environments. P2P is a network of personal computers that communicate with one another by running proprietary P2P software. The first P2P software designed to utilize torrents was BitTorrent by Bram Cohen. Other torrent clients have followed.

Torrents are distinguished by a unique transfer process. To compare how torrents download to standard files, let’s first consider how normal files download off the Internet.

At any given website a user might click on a file to transfer it to his or her computer. Upon clicking on the file, the website’s server starts sending the file to the visitor in discreet data packets. These packets travel various routes to reach the user’s computer and are reconstructed upon receipt to complete the file transfer.

While this works fine for smaller files, it can take be cumbersome to transfer larger files this way. If the server is busy, download time can be very slow. Communication between your server and the computer can even crash, causing corruption in the transfer, or at best, delays.

Unlike downloads off the Web, torrents do not point to a single source on a P2P network when requesting files. Instead, torrents contain specific information that multiple computers in the network can read to send various parts of the requested file simultaneously and en masse. Torrents keep active track of which parts of the file are needed to complete the request. By downloading bits of the file from dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of sources, large files can download very quickly.

Working with torrents is also unique for another reason. At the same time the user is downloading file parts, the computer is also uploading parts already received to others. This decreases download time because users do not have to wait for file sources to have completed torrents before receiving needed parts of a requested file.

Once requested torrents have downloaded in full, you become a seed for those files. A seed refers to someone that has the entire file available. It is considered rude to download torrents and disconnect, referred to as leeching. Instead, users are encouraged to participate by seeding the file for others so that a minimal 1:1 share ratio is maintained. A swarm refers to the entire group of people transferring a file at any given time.

To encourage sharing, software used for downloading torrents keeps track of the share ratio. The torrent client will automatically allocate more bandwidth for downloading at faster speeds when a user shares more than he or she downloads. This usually means leaving the computer running while doing other things, as upstream bandwidth is much slower for most of us than downstream bandwidth. While it might take 40 minutes to download a 250MB freeware suite, it can take several times longer to upload that same amount of data.

Torrents are archived in libraries that are searchable with a Web browser. One cannot download torrents without installing a torrent client first. There are many free torrent clients available, some of which are open source. Once a desired torrent is found, clicking on it will open the torrent client to begin the download process. The user may have to configure his or her firewall to allow the use of certain communication ports.

Basically its a pure-er form of p2p. An orginial uploader has the file on his computer and he "seeds" it and people who want to download the file basically download it from the uploader. Once the downloader is finished downloading (and even in the  process of downloading) he/she will also be a source for others to download from. So the downloader also becomes a seeder (that is if you choose to seed it, you don't have to but the whole system is based on people who download and seed it for a while for others) and its like that.
As for the torrent client, there's plenty of them out there and plenty of discussion. My pick? Utorrent (www.utorrent.com), Its the smallest (fact - standalone is 750kb, no installation nothing required), and fastest (arguable - based on personal experiences but in general it is always in the top 3 of any "fastest client" article). I love it. Very very small footprint, not resource hog like others (java based Azeurus comes to mind, although some people claim it too is fast). this is for Windows. There are a few for mac and linux as well.
So, download utorrent. go to tennistorrents.com and save the torrent file (or open it directly) and open it with utorrent and you should be good to go.

Now this is not like a traditional download, so if you picked a file that no one is seeding (no one already has it on the comptuer and is willing to share) then you might be "running the download" and yet not have anything downloading because obviously there's no source. The torrent file itself is just an adress to the computers who have the file on thier computer and are sharing it. So this might be what you are referring to. Stuff CAN take a while. Especially considering tennistorrents aren't madd popular or anything, you have on average 2 people who are sharing it, so you can only download when you are running your client at the same time the uploaders are running their clinet and uploading. So depending on what match you are talking about I migth be able to explain a few more things. Uploaders can also set limits on how much they can upload, so for example you might not want to upload more than 10kbps whereas others might upload unlimited. So you could be getting 50kbps from someone who has unlimited upload and 10kbps from someone who uploads only that much for a total of 60kbps.
Also this is not a traditional file, the file is split it many many pieces. so thats why you can download at any given time from someone who has pieces that you don't have. So while i am downloading and say i have 60% something downloaded that you too are downloading, you can actually download teh parts that  I have even though they are not in any order.
Maybe too many details, you probably even knew all this. :)) what file are you trying to download that might shed some light.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 10:06:34 AM »
The real question is what torrent software are you using, and what kind of connection do you have? I use a program called BitLord, and I like it alot. I used to have problems with my computer restarting itself when I was using BitTorrent. I haven't had that problem with BitLord. I get faster speeds with it as well. There are maybe a dozen other options too. So poke around and look for the best download client.
Second; when you are going to connect to a torrent, check the number of "seeders" and "leachers". The more seeders, the better. Leachers will be in the proccess of downloading and will have parts of the file, but not all of the file. Also, many torrent sites have a health meter. Some torrents sort of die as people download and delete and the seeders dwindle.
Let me know if you still have trouble, maybe I can give you a hand with it. :))

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »
Yes I'm a torrent newbie.  Thanks for the Torrent 101 class!
The lingo makes things a bit confusing, tho' I do understand the concept.

Am currently trying to download the Borg v. McEnroe 1980 Wimby final and get a shortcut on my desktop in 1 sec. with a window that says download complete.  When I try to open the file it says my DivX player doesn't recognize the file type as video.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »
Can't remember which codec I selected but will give utorrent a try.  Thanks for your time. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 10:26:19 AM »
The real question is what torrent software are you using, and what kind of connection do you have? I use a program called BitLord, and I like it alot. I used to have problems with my computer restarting itself when I was using BitTorrent. I haven't had that problem with BitLord. I get faster speeds with it as well. There are maybe a dozen other options too. So poke around and look for the best download client.
Second; when you are going to connect to a torrent, check the number of "seeders" and "leachers". The more seeders, the better. Leachers will be in the proccess of downloading and will have parts of the file, but not all of the file. Also, many torrent sites have a health meter. Some torrents sort of die as people download and delete and the seeders dwindle.
Let me know if you still have trouble, maybe I can give you a hand with it. :))

Thanks DM.  Just started the Utorrent and it seems to be working.  Will try the BitLord next for comparison and let you know. 

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it! :thank-you:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 10:26:41 AM »

Am currently trying to download the Borg v. McEnroe 1980 Wimby final and get a shortcut on my desktop in 1 sec. with a window that says download complete.  When I try to open the file it says my DivX player doesn't recognize the file type as video.

There is the problem. Downloading a torrent is like downloading a favorite for IE. It's a link to the seeders seeding the file. You open that with a torrent program like BitLord or Bittorrent and it will sort out all the links and start downloading the actual file.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 10:34:56 AM »

There is the problem. Downloading a torrent is like downloading a favorite for IE. It's a link to the seeders seeding the file. You open that with a torrent program like BitLord or Bittorrent and it will sort out all the links and start downloading the actual file.

:rofl_2:
Laughing at my own inexperience here!
Read your post 4 times before I could sort it all out!!!
And to think, 20 years ago I could program in 6 different languages (including machine) and troubleshoot down to the component level.
Guess who's out of touch with technology? :whistle:

Seems to be working o.k. now.  Perhaps my interest in tennis will rekindle the tech geek in me.......nah, probably not! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 03:11:48 PM »
So now that I've got a file downloaded I'm unable to view it.
Tried DivX viewer and it said the file is not a movie file.
Any thoughts guys?
CONK da ball!!!