Author Topic: Tennis Torrent site  (Read 15508 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Tennis Torrent site
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2007, 07:26:22 AM »
Mr.M Truck - yo i have no idea whats up with your file. I torrented it and its working flawlessly. Try torrenting again I suppose if its not  a big deal. If its a pain then I could always just put it up onto megaupload (or soemthing like that that has a 1gig limit sicne this particular file is under a gig) for you. And it should play if you have the same file as me and others because its working fine for us and you said the file dmast sent you was also working fine.

Am sure I've just bungled some part of the process.
Currently trying to torrent the file again and see what happens.
One more question that occured to me whilst reading your message.  Is the word torrent just a more specific term for downloading a file?  I get the overall idea of what's taking place, it's just all the jargon that gets so confusing.  Thanks so much for your time and concern.  Between the tips from you and DMast and my persistence, I'm sure I'll eventually get it and become an expert seeder / leecher!!! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2007, 08:09:44 PM »

Folks, I have downloaded "Wimbledon Legends-Pete Sampras" and enjoyed it very much. Just awesome :H

Ps. Alison, I hope you got to see it, because I am sure you would love it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:10:50 PM by tennisfan78 »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2007, 09:17:35 PM »
Mr.M Truck - yo i have no idea whats up with your file. I torrented it and its working flawlessly. Try torrenting again I suppose if its not  a big deal. If its a pain then I could always just put it up onto megaupload (or soemthing like that that has a 1gig limit sicne this particular file is under a gig) for you. And it should play if you have the same file as me and others because its working fine for us and you said the file dmast sent you was also working fine.

Am sure I've just bungled some part of the process.
Currently trying to torrent the file again and see what happens.
One more question that occured to me whilst reading your message.  Is the word torrent just a more specific term for downloading a file?  I get the overall idea of what's taking place, it's just all the jargon that gets so confusing.  Thanks so much for your time and concern.  Between the tips from you and DMast and my persistence, I'm sure I'll eventually get it and become an expert seeder / leecher!!! ;-()

I found this somewhere, it cleared it up simply I think and nicely:

What is a torrent?

A .torrent file is a file that contains the basic information about a file or set of files. This includes the file names, sizes, the date created and some other information. The torrent file also contains an info hash - which is basically just a unique code for that torrent. No other set of file(s) will have the same info hash as this one. The final thing contained inside the torrent is a list of trackers. If you have some torrent files, you can't open them in a text editor because they are encoded. You will need to open them in torrent client software (like Bitcomet which you can install on your computer.

What is a tracker?

A tracker is a computer on the Internet. The tracker's role is to manage live torrent files and keep track of statistics. When you open a torrent file in your client software, your client software contacts the tracker specific to that torrent. You client tells the tracker how much of the actual files (described by the torrent) that you currently have. If you created the torrent - then you probably have 100% of the files described by the torrent. If you downloaded the torrent - then you probably have 0% of the files.

Once your client has told the tracker your current situation, it logs that and gives you what it knows about that torrent. It will tell you that Bill in Arizona has 43% of the files described by the torrent. It will tell you that Kate in Amsterdam has 67% of the torrent.

What is a seeder?

A seeder is a person who has more than 0% of the files described by the torrent. If a torrent has no seeders, then no one (currently talking to the tracker) has anything to give.

What is a leecher/peer?

A peer is a person who is looking for the files described by the torrent. The more peers the more people are actively looking for the files described by the torrent.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 06:43:44 AM »
 :worthy: :worthy:
Thanks Pawan and DMast for your patience.
I finally got to enjoy a bit of the 1980 Wimby final this morning.
Seems that whatever icon for the match that is on the desktop is only about 16k and doesn't connect to the whole 1.5G file when starting the VLC player.  I discovered this quite by accident and then found the whole file in another location.  That played perfectly!!! :)) :)) :))

As I mentioned before, I'm sure it's just my lack of tech savvy that messed up somewhere and not the actual programs or hardware.

Thanks so much.  I look forward to viewing many more vids and supporting the tennistorrents site.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »
Seems that whatever icon for the match that is on the desktop is only about 16k and doesn't connect to the whole 1.5G file when starting the VLC player.  I discovered this quite by accident and then found the whole file in another location.  That played perfectly!!! :)) :)) :))

As I mentioned before, I'm sure it's just my lack of tech savvy that messed up somewhere and not the actual programs or hardware.

Thanks so much.  I look forward to viewing many more vids and supporting the tennistorrents site.

Ahh, the old icon on the desktop pointing to nothing!  :shiny:
Good thing you found the location and got to watch the match. Keep an eye on your hard drive space remaining as you download these things. If you get into it you will be running out of space very fast. I would suggest at least 15 or 20 gigs of free space in whatever directory you are downloading to.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2007, 01:53:31 PM »

Good thing you found the location and got to watch the match. Keep an eye on your hard drive space remaining as you download these things. If you get into it you will be running out of space very fast. I would suggest at least 15 or 20 gigs of free space in whatever directory you are downloading to.

my whole harddrive is about 25gigs. But thats when my 320g external comes into the picture  :gleam:

And monster, that's what I was afraid you might have been doing for the Safin/Sampras match, but you said you were sure you were clicking the 1gig large avi file - did you ever figure that out and get it to work?

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2007, 06:33:55 PM »

Do we have to worry about copyright issues when downloading these matches??  :dunno:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2007, 07:03:27 PM »
Quick question, need some computer help!  :(    I have an older laptop at home running Windows ME for my at-home internet.  It still runs okay but when I try to run scan disk it finds an error but then continuously restarts scan disk and never finishes.  I also can't defrag my laptop because it wants me to complete scan disk first.  I have already cleaned up my cookies and run virus scan successfully.  Please help me!     
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:05:58 PM by OSU Buckeye »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2007, 07:06:51 PM »
Quick question, need some computer help!  :(    I have an older laptop at home running Windows ME for my at-home internet.  It still runs okay but when I try to run scan disk it gets "stuck" and continuously restarts scan disk but never finishes.  I also can't defrag my laptop because it wants me to complete scan disk first.  Please help me!     

Run ScanDisc and Defrag in safe mode.
If you run normally Windows usually has proccess that run the background. These proccess can interupt ScanDisc. You need to restart, and as the computer is just going into Windows press F8 which will bring up a start up menu. Choose the option to start in safe mode, and let it boot. It might take longer, give it some time. You should be able to run ScanDisc then.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »

Do we have to worry about copyright issues when downloading these matches??  :dunno:

Ummmmmmm......... :whistle:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2007, 07:10:36 PM »
Quick question, need some computer help!  :(    I have an older laptop at home running Windows ME for my at-home internet.  It still runs okay but when I try to run scan disk it gets "stuck" and continuously restarts scan disk but never finishes.  I also can't defrag my laptop because it wants me to complete scan disk first.  Please help me!     

Run ScanDisc and Defrag in safe mode.
If you run normally Windows usually has proccess that run the background. These proccess can interupt ScanDisc. You need to restart, and as the computer is just going into Windows press F8 which will bring up a start up menu. Choose the option to start in safe mode, and let it boot. It might take longer, give it some time. You should be able to run ScanDisc then.

Lets hope that works!  Thanks for the info. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2007, 06:03:41 AM »

my whole harddrive is about 25gigs. But thats when my 320g external comes into the picture  :gleam:

And monster, that's what I was afraid you might have been doing for the Safin/Sampras match, but you said you were sure you were clicking the 1gig large avi file - did you ever figure that out and get it to work?
Nice external drive P!!!
Might have to look into getting one if I'm going to continue watching these matches.

Never figured out the empty icon.  Just deleted it and now go straight to the new file location to open.  I think my confusion was I saw that the whole file had torrented (100% approx. 1.5G) and ASSUMED it was linked to that new icon on my desktop. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2007, 07:46:33 AM »

Nice external drive P!!!
Might have to look into getting one if I'm going to continue watching these matches.

Never figured out the empty icon.  Just deleted it and now go straight to the new file location to open.  I think my confusion was I saw that the whole file had torrented (100% approx. 1.5G) and ASSUMED it was linked to that new icon on my desktop. :(

I don't know what torrent program you are using, I've tried 3 different ones, and I have yet to see one that puts a shortcut on the desktop to a file that has been downloaded.
As for external drives..... I've probably got a couple terrabytes of external storage right now. ..-)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2007, 07:46:29 AM »

Nice external drive P!!!

I don't know what torrent program you are using, I've tried 3 different ones, and I have yet to see one that puts a shortcut on the desktop to a file that has been downloaded.
As for external drives..... I've probably got a couple terrabytes of external storage right now. ..-)

I've been using BitLord and it dumps an icon on the desktop everytime. :Confused:

I too will need some external storage, but will probably upgrade my desktop first.  It's 5 years old now and I think I'm ready for something bigger than a 15" screen for viewing tennis vids. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »

I've been using BitLord and it dumps an icon on the desktop everytime. :Confused:

I too will need some external storage, but will probably upgrade my desktop first.  It's 5 years old now and I think I'm ready for something bigger than a 15" screen for viewing tennis vids. :))

I use BitLord too. But I don't get icons on the desktop (other than the BitLord icon, which I deleted). Maybe there's a setting somewhere that asks if you want an icon created for the torrents or something.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2007, 10:56:03 AM »

I use BitLord too. But I don't get icons on the desktop (other than the BitLord icon, which I deleted). Maybe there's a setting somewhere that asks if you want an icon created for the torrents or something.

or you can avoid all that and just use utorrent  :whistle:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2007, 07:02:28 AM »

or you can avoid all that and just use utorrent  :whistle:
I've used that program also, but don't recall it dumping an icon on my desktop....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2007, 11:16:41 PM »
Noticed the latest match I "torrented" took 40+ hours to complete!
Now I see what you mean Pawan!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2007, 11:47:43 PM »
Noticed the latest match I "torrented" took 40+ hours to complete!
Now I see what you mean Pawan!

Now if that one doesn't work.. :rofl_2:
So does it work? Which match was it I am curious.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2007, 10:09:28 AM »
Torrents aren't like megaupload, or other download things. It's not a direct download from a server that is always on. It's a sort of catch as catch can download. If the people who have the pieces or all of the file are on line, it's working, if they aren't, it's not. If the computer that has a piece is on DSL or Cable you speed will be good, if they are on dial up it going to be slow. You just have to take what you can get.
Ultimately, if you want something for free you pretty much have to be patient. I pretty much start a download and let it go. When it's done, it's done.  ..-)

An ambition fulfilled