Author Topic: Tennis Etiquette  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Etiquette
« on: February 27, 2005, 07:03:13 PM »
I hit the practice court today and got in about 2 1/2 hours of practice, it felt good.  I was kinda tired about half way through, I need to start eating better.  :)

Anyways...  A cute little family of four come onto the courts.  They walk right across the court while we are hitting.  Error 1.

They they have 2 choices for courts.  The one next to us which is right between us and another occupied court, or one at the other end which is next to a fence and an occupied court.  All four courts at this place are very nice.  They chose to plant themselves between us and the occupied court.  Error 2.

They probably hit about 40 balls into our court in about an hour.  They never said please or thank you and sometimes just ran into our court to grab the ball.  Errors 3, 4 and 5.

If I hit a ball into their court they would pick it up and pocket it thinking it was one of their balls, even though their balls were flat as hell from who knows, the dog chewing on them.  Pocketing our balls, Error 6.

They only hit balls into our court, for some reason none went into the other court next to them.  Why not move down to the other unoccupied court and have everyone switch sides of the court and have all their strays just hit the fence.  Error 7!

Then when they were done they walked back across our court while we were hitting.  Error 8.

They watched us have  to stop numours rallies to get their strays, never a sorry or thank you.  I smiled and said "here ya go" when I got all 40 of their balls.

I gotta tell you though, it got frustrating after a while.  I was still nice as can be.  I wanted to tell them they should consider moving down and rotating 180 degrees so they bothered nobody, but I hate to seem mean.

I took an internet test once for guys.  It was a funny one about "which urinal" to choose.  Of coarse you always chose the one which had no one next to it or the one that would place you next to one as opposed to 2 people.  I passed that test.  Why does it seem so much more difficult for people to figure it out on a tennis court.

I guess I was nice out on the court but had to come back here to vent a little.  grrrrrrrrr    :ranting:
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 07:07:34 PM »
And for those of you looking to take the Urinal Test, I went and hunted it down...

http://flasharcade.com/game.php?urinal&1
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Tennis Etiquette
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 08:52:55 PM »
And for those of you looking to take the Urinal Test, I went and hunted it down...

http://flasharcade.com/game.php?urinal&1

I love how you were all pissed and venting and they you come out of nowhere and throw that ^^ in. lol That was hilarious. But yeah, I understand your frustration. Sometimes I wish I could just play people for the courts and if they lose make them leave  ..-)

lizbeth

Tennis Etiquette
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 09:57:31 PM »
Scott, you have described a situation I guess we all have faced at one time or another.  
A pretty day comes along and whole families decide to come to the courts regardless of whether they have a clue about how to play tennis. I'm like you---I try to be nice, but it's hard.

Where I play, hardly anybody is practicing in a serious way, especially not singles. Mostly they're just out to get some exercise and talk before, during and after almost every point. One foursome I seem to end up next to a lot has a wonderful time playing, but they shriek and squeal and scream and laugh over every little thing that happens during their  points.  You're on the next court trying to practice singles for a tournament, and these "WOOOOS" and "OH MY GOD'S" and "EEEEES" and "AHHHHHS" and "AHEEEES" split your eardrums just when you're in the middle of a second serve at ad out. I try to tell myself that it's nice they're having such a good time, but it does get frustrating!

Offline Jeffro

• Tennis Enthusiast
  • Shhhhhh! Don't wake her up!
Tennis Etiquette
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 10:09:32 PM »
I just try to remember what it was like when I first started playing.  I had no idea what I was doing.  It just makes me happy to see people out enjoying themselves on the tennis court.  I know how much I love to play and hopefully some of those beginners will grow to love it as much as I do.
"A man's got to know his limitations." - Clint

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Tennis Etiquette
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 10:13:55 PM »
yeah yeah yeah, whatever Jeffro.  You try getting more running being a ball boy that you get practicing and tell me how it goes.  lol...

I do find that a 3.5 player will keep a hell of a lot more balls in their court than a 4.5 player.  Kinda funny, but they do not have the angles and the put away shots that a 4.5 player does.  Sometimes I am amazed that lesser player will hit almost no balls into our court in 2 hours.  Tonight was a different tstory though, they were no where near 3.5 players.   1.5 players at best.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Tennis Etiquette
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 07:52:03 AM »
I do not mind too much seeing that I am usually the person hitting balls into everyone elses court.  :)  It is nice, however, to get a please and thank you from people as you serve as their personal ball boy.