Author Topic: College Football!!!  (Read 30622 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: College Football!!!
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »
Wow - Nebraska is in a lot of trouble! (although I'm not a Nebraska fan).  In fact, I don't really have a 'favorite' college team.  Being from Dallas, we really don't have any good college teams anymore.  Back in the day - SMU use to be a football powerhouse - but then you all know what happened with them! :rofl_2:  TCU use to be pretty good with Thomlinson...but now... :\    I was a Texas Longhorn fan when Vince was there but now...? :confused1:  So who want to talk me into being a fan for your team?  I'm open! :rofl_2:

So are you just a frontrunner? I mean the Longhorns won a national championship with Vince Young just a couple years ago!
You've got to stick with a team, or a player through thick and thin. I don't care if a team I root for wins or loses. I'm a fan of the team. The only thing I don't like is when they embarrass themselves, not by losing, but by bring in questionable charactor guys and letting them run amuck.
I'm still a Cowboy fan after 30 years, though I don't like Jerry Jones (hated what he did to Landry) and don't like TO, and Irvin when he was catch passes. All huge egos with little regard for others. I don't like them, but I still root for the Cowboys.
And I don't know what happened to SMU. What happened? I remember they had a good program for awhile. I know Richie Reneberg graduated from there... Other than that... :dunno: Was there some scandal? NCAA violations? Or did they just get bad over time?

Not really.  For instance, I'm a die-hard Cowboys's fan - I followed them through the Tom Landry years to present so I've seen the good and bad.  I saw the 1-15 year but I was still a fan.

Mavs - Always been a fan even when we had to wear bags over our heads;

Rangers - We always fight to not finish in last place in our division - but I will still pull for them through think and thin.

With College Teams - I have no alliance (I always pull for my college: Texas Souther University), the other than that - I have no alliance to college sports since they are not that big here in Dallas.  Not like some of your cities.  So when I like the Longhorns, I gravitated to them mostly because of Vince Young; or when I liked TCU - it wasn't like I just loved their team as it was I loved watching Tomlinsson.

On SMU...they got caught by the NCAA of rules violation and was one (if not the only) school in the history to receive the "death penalty".  No scholarships, etc.  That killed their program to the point that the NCAA now said they would never give the 'death penalty' to any other school because that really did kill SMU's program.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »
Congrats OSU for your boys getting #1. I know mine will get it again. :)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2007, 07:24:41 AM »

Thanks!  I watched the LSU-Kentucky game and it was a doozie.  I was a bit suprised to see LSU at #4 in the BCS poll.  Anyway, I wouldn't mind OSU playing LSU in the Championship game........but there is a lot of football left for both to play so we shall see how it goes down!? 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2007, 09:16:50 AM »

Thanks!  I watched the LSU-Kentucky game and it was a doozie.  I was a bit suprised to see LSU at #4 in the BCS poll.  Anyway, I wouldn't mind OSU playing LSU in the Championship game........but there is a lot of football left for both to play so we shall see how it goes down!? 

What the heck is going on? :shocking:
USC was  #1. They lose that ranking without losing a game and find themselves #2. Then they drop a game and drop to #10. Win this week and drop to #13.
Meanwwhile LSU is #2, then leapfrog USC to become #1. Then lose a game and only drop to #4.
What??? :confused1:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2007, 09:24:10 AM »

USC was  #1. They lose that ranking without losing a game and find themselves #2. Then they drop a game and drop to #10. Win this week and drop to #13.
Meanwwhile LSU is #2, then leapfrog USC to become #1. Then lose a game and only drop to #4.

I must agree that it is all crazy!  But, I expect much of it is because USC lost to someone they never should lose to at home while LSU lost in multiple overtimes to Kentucky who is supposedly very good in the voters eyes.   Also crazy is that USC falls to #10 after a dispicable loss yet Michigan falls off the face of the rankings map after their horrible loss (many think USC's loss to Stanford is as bad as Michigan's loss to App. St.).  So why the rankings disparity on that one? 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2007, 09:50:44 AM »

I must agree that it is all crazy!  But, I expect much of it is because USC lost to someone they never should lose to at home while LSU lost in multiple overtimes to Kentucky who is supposedly very good in the voters eyes.   Also crazy is that USC falls to #10 after a dispicable loss yet Michigan falls off the face of the rankings map after their horrible loss (many think USC's loss to Stanford is as bad as Michigan's loss to App. St.).  So why the rankings disparity on that one? 

Firstly, I was surprised to the hear that the USC loss to Stanford was the worst loss by point spread in college football history (USC was favored by 41). Who cares about the point spread (unless you are gambling), and since when does the point spread figure in historical accounts? The point spread is completely meaningless as a historical benchmark. Was there even a point spread in the Michigan AppState game?
How can a USC loss to a divisional opponent (who has been good in the past and feed a number of players to the NFL) at the last second compare as worse to a loss to a D2 opponent?
Second, What's the difference between a last second touchdown by unranked Stanford to beat USC and LSU's triple OT loss to unranked Kentucky? Yes there's a difference. 1 point. It was a matter of how the game played out. The LSU loss could have easily been by 1 or 3 points.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »

Firstly, I was surprised to the hear that the USC loss to Stanford was the worst loss by point spread in college football history (USC was favored by 41). Who cares about the point spread (unless you are gambling), and since when does the point spread figure in historical accounts? The point spread is completely meaningless as a historical benchmark. Was there even a point spread in the Michigan AppState game?
How can a USC loss to a divisional opponent (who has been good in the past and feed a number of players to the NFL) at the last second compare as worse to a loss to a D2 opponent?
Second, What's the difference between a last second touchdown by unranked Stanford to beat USC and LSU's triple OT loss to unranked Kentucky? Yes there's a difference. 1 point. It was a matter of how the game played out. The LSU loss could have easily been by 1 or 3 points.

Unranked Kentucky??????    I think you better follow along a little closer!   ;-()

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2007, 10:36:01 AM »

Unranked Kentucky??????    I think you better follow along a little closer!   ;-()

Right now they are ranked #17 But I checked to see if they were ranked last week before posting and didn't see them in the top 25.
But enough of my ranting.  :pepsi:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2007, 10:46:30 AM »

Right now they are ranked #17 But I checked to see if they were ranked last week before posting and didn't see them in the top 25.

I am pretty sure Kentucky was #17 or #18 before the game with LSU and now they are #7 in the BCS poll and #8 in the AP poll (don't know how you show them as #17 now?).  Kentucky has lost only 1 game.  As I said before Kentucky is really good in the voters eyes!     Way, and I mean way, way better than Stanford!   ;-()
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:53:12 AM by OSU Buckeye »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2007, 10:55:05 AM »

I am pretty sure Kentucky was #17 or #18 before the game with LSU and now they are #7 in the BCS poll and #8 in the AP poll (don't know how you show them as #17 now?).  Kentucky has lost only 1 game.  As I said before Kentucky is really good in the voters eyes!     Way, and I mean way, way better than Stanford!   ;-()

No argument there. But no game against a divisional oppenent is a walk in the park.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2007, 11:06:29 AM »

No argument there. But no game against a divisional oppenent is a walk in the park.

I know what you are trying to say here but I am sure if you look at USC's all-time record against Stanford, USC's all-time record in home games, and definitely USC's home record against Stanford, it would show this as laughable!  Plus, its not even like Stanford is really good this year either! 

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2007, 11:52:35 PM »

I know what you are trying to say here but I am sure if you look at USC's all-time record against Stanford, USC's all-time record in home games, and definitely USC's home record against Stanford, it would show this as laughable!  Plus, its not even like Stanford is really good this year either! 

I can't remember a year that those rankings made sense one way or another.  :confused1: A good source of debate, that's for sure!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2007, 08:27:21 AM »

I can't remember a year that those rankings made sense one way or another.  :confused1: A good source of debate, that's for sure!!

And what's good for debate, or viewed as controversial, is good for the sport.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2007, 09:49:41 PM »
WTF?  Isn't anyone watching this back-and-forth game?  Rutgers is beating the #2 team in the nation, USF, 27-20!  They are now getting ready to start the 4th quarter. 

Rutgers had a 4th down recently and acted as though they were going to kick a field goal but instead faked and the holder threw for a TD!  The holder was some back-up QB that is lower on the depth chart.  He threw a perfect pass under pressure with a nice catch for the TD! 

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2007, 09:52:10 PM »
WTF?  Isn't anyone watching this back-and-forth game?  Rutgers is beating the #2 team in the nation, USF, 27-20!  They are now getting ready to start the 4th quarter. 

Rutgers had a 4th down recently and acted as though they were going to kick a field goal but instead faked and the holder threw for a TD!  The holder was some back-up QB that is lower on the depth chart.  He threw a perfect pass under pressure with a nice catch for the TD! 

I didn't even know it was on, I was so busy with tennis today!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2007, 09:54:42 PM »

Just got home from work, and switched on the game. The baseball game. :)~

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »

Hey, no cheap attempts to hijack this thread!   ;-()   This game is filled with mistakes but it is still very exciting!     As I type the Rutgers kicker kicks a 51 yard field goal for a 10 point lead! 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2007, 10:05:09 PM »

Hey, no cheap attempts to hijack this thread!   ;-()   This game is filled with mistakes but it is still very exciting!     As I type the Rutgers kicker kicks a 51 yard field goal for a 10 point lead! 

Sorry.... :Blush:

NOT!
 :har-har:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »

NOT!

WOW!   I was certain Dmast and Scott were different posters but this one has me thinking otherwise!?   :rofl_2:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »

NOT!

WOW!   I was certain Dmast and Scott were different posters but this one has me thinking otherwise!?   :rofl_2:

Having seen the two of us on the same court, and seen the, ah, size difference, you still have doubts?

An ambition fulfilled