Instructional Tennis > Tennis Equipment & Apparel

Racket Issues

(1/2) > >>

Eternalmetal:
I just recently got into playing tennis a little over a month ago.  I have been playing frequently, but have been playing with a really light racket.  I just cant seem to keep the ball from flying off the court if I dont hit it lightly, making it hard to incorporate spin into my game.  I have done a little research, and found that a heavier racket would help my problem (im not looking for a miracle cure or anything, just a better racket).  I used to play tennis as a kid (im 20 now), and took lessons, so I sort of know technique.  I am serious about getting better, so I plan on getting a racket that I can sort of grow in to.

I have decided to demo 4 rackets, because the site I am getting them from only allows 4 at a time.  I have not narrowed my choices down to 4 yet, and need help doing so.  Here are the rackets I am considering to demo:

Babolat Pure Storm
Babolat AeroPro Drive Cortex
Yonex RDS 003
Yonex RDS 002
Wilson nSix-Two nCode
Wilson nPro Open nCode
Prince O3 White

I kind of had my eye on the Prince O3 White, the Yonex RDS 003, and the Wilson nPro Open nCode, but I am not totally sure.  

If this is not the right place to post, I apologize.  If you can help me out at all, I would appreciate it.

Tennis4you:
First off, welcome to the forums!!!

Have you tried a heavier racquet to confirm that it might help?  Maybe even try some lead weight on your current racquet?  Also, have you tried stringing your racquet tighter by chance?  That will eliminate some power and give you some more control.  As far as the spin aspect goes, what grip are you using?  And are you having the same issue off both wings (backhand and forehand)?

I love heavier racquets, I feel like they give me more control when I am off balance or out of control myself (which is almost always).

How long have you been playing?  Can you rate yourself on the NTRP for us so we can better guide you?

And last question.  What kind of game do you play?  Serve and volley, aggressive baseliner?  Junk baller?

That will help some of these equipment nuts here answer your questions.

dmastous:
Also, what racquet do you use?
I would agree that heavier racquets are the more stable racquets. Lighter racquets give you more racquet head speed which I think can give you more spin. If you are looking for more spin look for a racquet with a wider string pattern.
I believe as you begin to learn the game, it's not that big of a deal to find the "right" racquet. You really should define what your game is a bit more before, though it is good to have a racquet you comfortable with. I've always felt tweaking your racquet while you are learning can be counterproductive. It can create confusion in the learning process.

Eternalmetal:

--- Quote from: "Tennis4you" ---First off, welcome to the forums!!!

Have you tried a heavier racquet to confirm that it might help?  Maybe even try some lead weight on your current racquet?  Also, have you tried stringing your racquet tighter by chance?  That will eliminate some power and give you some more control.  As far as the spin aspect goes, what grip are you using?  And are you having the same issue off both wings (backhand and forehand)?

I love heavier racquets, I feel like they give me more control when I am off balance or out of control myself (which is almost always).

How long have you been playing?  Can you rate yourself on the NTRP for us so we can better guide you?

And last question.  What kind of game do you play?  Serve and volley, aggressive baseliner?  Junk baller?

--- End quote ---

I have not yet tried a heavier racket, but from what I was reading it really sounds like I should.  I would like to demo the rackets, which doesnt mean I will definitely buy one of them.  The racket I have right now, the Head Ti 2 (the only link I can find about it) is a really light racket by design and I feel as though a heavier racket would benefit me.  I would just like to demo the newer rackets that have proven to be great rackets for certain people, just to see if I feel a big difference.  When I bought this racket, it was an amazing difference from the old racket I used when I was about 12.  If I can find something that will be even better for my game, I feel as though I will be able to make the necessary improvements to my game.

If I were to follow the guidlines for the ratings, I would say about 2.5 - 3.0, although I can see myself improving quickly as I am just getting back into the swing of the game.  

The type of game I play would probably be considered more of a baseliner than anything else, although I do sometimes attack the net and do other things.

dmastous:

--- Quote from: "Eternalmetal" ---
--- Quote from: "Tennis4you" ---First off, welcome to the forums!!!

--- End quote ---

I have not yet tried a heavier racket, but from what I was reading it really sounds like I should.  I would like to demo the rackets, which doesnt mean I will definitely buy one of them.  The racket I have right now, the Head Ti 2 (the only link I can find about it) is a really light racket by design and I feel as though a heavier racket would benefit me.  I would just like to demo the newer rackets that have proven to be great rackets for certain people, just to see if I feel a big difference.  When I bought this racket, it was an amazing difference from the old racket I used when I was about 12.  If I can find something that will be even better for my game, I feel as though I will be able to make the necessary improvements to my game.

If I were to follow the guidlines for the ratings, I would say about 2.5 - 3.0, although I can see myself improving quickly as I am just getting back into the swing of the game.  

The type of game I play would probably be considered more of a baseliner than anything else, although I do sometimes attack the net and do other things.
--- End quote ---

I played with a Ti-2 for a number of years. It is truely a light racquet, and that's why I used it. The problem is it doesn't have much power. You have to provide all the power. If you want to play a baseline game you should definitly play with something heavier, but head light. You won't feel the difference as much. You'll hear all the same frames spoken of over and over. Babolat AeroPro Drive Cortex or the Prince might worthwhile. They are very similar in weight and balance. The nPro Open is slightly more headlight. All are right around 11.2 oz and 4-6 points head light. Beyond that is all about the paint job. :uh:
You could also go with a light, but more powerfull frame like the Drive Z Lite from Babblelot. I demoed that racquet, and I did like the feel, but my wrist can no longer take the work that a lighter racquet requires of it. I've moved to a heavier frame more for that than anything. A heavier frame will do more of the work for you. You can swing harder with a light racquet and probably produce more spin with one, but it takes more effort from you than with a heavier racquet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version