Instructional Tennis > Tennis Equipment & Apparel

dampener

(1/6) > >>

jyh9:
what does a dampener do?
is it necessary?

boatsign:
cuts the "ping" sound and muffles string vibration.  most people who use them like the "feel", but racquet technicians say they don't matter.

Some pro's use them, some don't.

dmastous:

--- Quote from: "boatsign" ---cuts the "ping" sound and muffles string vibration.  most people who use them like the "feel", but racquet technicians say they don't matter.

--- End quote ---

You are partially right. Most racquet technicians say they don't matter. This racquet technician says if you like 'em use 'em. They reduce the vibration in the racquet from the impact of the ball. Some feel they protect you from tennis elbow. But you will find no one who can verify that racquet vibration causes tennis elbow. Tennis elbow is due to the arm not being in the right position when making contact with the ball. Too much stress is placed on the ligaments and elbow joint and pain is the result.
Speaking of dampners Feliciano Lopez just had to put another in his racquet. My guess it's more a feel thing for him. He prefers the feel and sound with the dampner in. Many people feel this way and I have no problems with them feeling that way. I say if you want to use one go for it. But understand that it isn't going to do much but reduce the vibration and deaden the sound of impact.

Babblelot:

--- Quote from: "dmastous" ---
--- Quote from: "boatsign" ---cuts the "ping" sound and muffles string vibration.  most people who use them like the "feel", but racquet technicians say they don't matter.

--- End quote ---

You are partially right. Most racquet technicians say they don't matter. This racquet technician says if you like 'em use 'em. They reduce the vibration in the racquet from the impact of the ball. Some feel they protect you from tennis elbow. But you will find no one who can verify that racquet vibration causes tennis elbow. Tennis elbow is due to the arm not being in the right position when making contact with the ball. Too much stress is placed on the ligaments and elbow joint and pain is the result.
Speaking of dampners Feliciano Lopez just had to put another in his racquet. My guess it's more a feel thing for him. He prefers the feel and sound with the dampner in. Many people feel this way and I have no problems with them feeling that way. I say if you want to use one go for it. But understand that it isn't going to do much but reduce the vibration and deaden the sound of impact.
--- End quote ---

That sounds about right. My arm's killin' me, man.  lolololol

Hey, the guy I hit with told me to go with a much bigger grip because it would force me to correct or "undo" whatever I'm doing wrong.

Your thoughts...

dmastous:

--- Quote from: "Babblelot" ---
--- Quote from: "dmastous" ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That sounds about right. My arm's killin' me, man.  lolololol

Hey, the guy I hit with told me to go with a much bigger grip because it would force me to correct or "undo" whatever I'm doing wrong.

Your thoughts...
--- End quote ---

My initial thought is that I wish I had watched you with a more critical eye, rather than trying not to look foolish against Buckeye and Freebird and that ringer with the nasty kick serve they brought with them.
The arm is suposed to be only the whip part of the whip that is a forhand or a backhand. One common cause of tennis elbow is the stroke beginning with and being all arm rather than shoulders.
The clearest, and easiest to describe cause is waiting too long to hit a one handed backhand, letting it get behind you and having to bend the elbow when you hit the ball. That is a frequent reason for tennis elbow. That part of the arm is just not designed to handle that kind of impact. Also, I've seen many people hitting a backhand with the elbow leading rather than the arm straight, but not locked. Almost like a sideways karate chop. I don't know how they hit that without suffering some sort of elbow pain (and they usually admit they have elbow problems when asked about it).
I've had some forearm pain from hitting my forehand with too straight an arm. The arm should be slightly bent at contact, especially when playing with a semi western and western grip.
The serve can also be a cause of tennis elbow. I'm not really sure how to describe this, but it's due to the impact with the ball being felt in the elbow joint rather than in the upper body, where it should be. Twisting the arm trying to hit a kick serve improperly can really screw the elbow up.
I guess the best way to self diagnose is to think about what's going on while you are play. Notice on what strokes your elbow is feeling the impact the most and find ways to redirect that impact further up into the shoulders. These would be some of things I described, and also trying to make contact on your front foot rather than your back foot.
Hope this helps.  :uh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version