Author Topic: Too bad for Tendonitis!  (Read 821 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Too bad for Tendonitis!
« on: March 01, 2005, 09:09:09 PM »
I found this article very interesting.  I am sure this can help millions of athletes if it works out.  I have tendonitis in my right should and it acts up if I serve too much.  I would love to see this make some progress and find out how it would be available for treatment.

Is This Finally the End of Tennis Elbow?

After nearly four years, tennis elbow may have met its match in platelet-rich plasma, a key component in a new “biologic treatment,” a new frontier in medicine. At the recent annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Dr. Allan Mishra announced his findings concerning the use of platelet-rich plasma for this common ailment.

In his study, Dr. Mishra, an orthopedic surgeon at Menlo Clinic, an affiliate of Stanford Hospital & Clinics, found that eight weeks after treatment with platelet-rich plasma, patients’ pain decreased by 60 percent versus 16 percent in control patients. After six months, the platelet-rich plasma patients’ pain had diminished by an average of 81 percent.

“These are encouraging numbers,” Dr. Mishra said. “Platelet-rich plasma may have significant value for treating severe tendonitis non-surgically. Using the body’s ‘natural ingredients’ to help deal with a problem like tennis elbow represents a completely new way of thinking in medicine.”

Platelet-rich plasma is a derivative of whole blood that contains a variety of powerful growth factors. These growth factors occur naturally and help develop and differentiate cells. Dr. Mishra evaluated the use of platelet-rich plasma in patients with chronic, severe tennis elbow who were considering surgery.

Dr. Mishra’s study represents the first investigation of this innovative treatment for tendonitis. A large multi-center trial is now being conducted to further evaluate his findings. The FDA is currently reviewing this protocol for approval to treat tennis elbow.

For more information about tennis elbow please visit www.emedx.com
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
Too bad for Tendonitis!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 09:13:48 PM »
hell yeah! Every now and then my achillies tendon starts giving me trouble.....that would be great to see them advance with this
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.