Author Topic: Bovina vs S. Williams  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Bovina vs S. Williams
« on: March 02, 2005, 09:36:59 AM »
Looks like Serena is on track to join her sister on the ride home.  She is down 0-5 in the first set.  Good thing she is a fighter, she is going to need to stage a comeback here in the second set.

Edit - - - She lost the first set 1-6 and then returned the favor and won the second set 6-1.  Onto the third!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Anonymous

Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:06:27 AM »
Serena won 1-6 6-1 6-4 :thumbs-up:

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 12:10:28 PM »
Darn, I want Serena to lose a match soon.   If womens tennis turns into another boring Serena-snoozefest ala 2002-2003, I will limit my viewing exclusively to mens tennis.    When Serena dominates I now know how the anti-Rogers must have felt last year.   Oh well, tough luck, I had my turn they deserve theirs.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »
What is amazing about Serena, and discouraging for her anti-fans like myself she seems to be regaining her old trait, winning matches when she is not playing her best.   With all due respect to Bovina, a 6-1 set in Bovinas favor is so obvious one would not have to watch any of the match to draw a certain degree of conclusivenss to Serenas play.   Yet she still managed to win.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 12:37:58 PM »
She can serve big, she can hit hard and she is fast.  Those are 3 traits that most outside the top 20 on the WTA do not have all 3 of.  Which gives Serena a big advantage...
Scott Baker

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 12:40:05 PM »
Actually she can hit really hard on the run as well.   I am not sure if any of the other woman, other than the old Venus do that.   The other woman that both hit hard and run fast have trouble doing both on the same shot, hitting it really hard on the same shots they are running fast for.   If they run fast, then stop themselves in time, they can, but not while still running hard when meeting the shot.

Offline jjw

• Tennis Player
re:
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 01:17:28 PM »
The basic abillity of hitting a ball on the run seems to be too much to ask from a lot of female players. Amazzing.
jjw

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 01:18:20 PM »
Most of them can do the chop shot on the run though.   :)

Offline jjw

• Tennis Player
re
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 01:21:27 PM »
chop shot, isn't that a terribly executed drop shot?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 01:32:15 PM »
I think that is just when you scramble to get a ball and just slice it back in desperation.  Hopefully it lands deeper than shorter.  I have gotten really good at it on the forehand side.  I already slice the backhand a lot, so it doesn't seem like such a desperation shot off of that side, I have more control.
Scott Baker

Offline jjw

• Tennis Player
re
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 01:41:07 PM »
Allright now I see why i don't know what a chop shot is.
Scrambling for the ball? I just say, good shot!

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 05:29:06 PM »
I was shocked that she lost a set to Bovina 1-6, but I didn't really expect her to lose. I wonder what the hell she was doing out there in that first set.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 06:45:56 PM »
I was shocked that she lost a set to Bovina 1-6, but I didn't really expect her to lose. I wonder what the hell she was doing out there in that first set.

Thinking about all those martinis she had after the Grammys... :whistle:

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 11:56:45 AM »
I think Bovina hits the ball well but she needs to improve her mobility.   I suspect her height is part of the problem there though.   She is like a young, fitter looking, Davenport, but her movement is equally lacking as Davenport's is.   Davenport is probably the only player who can be a contender for grand slam titles with such gruesome, for elite standards, movement around the court.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 12:13:14 PM »
Davenport is probably the only player who can be a contender for grand slam titles with such gruesome, for elite standards, movement around the court.

Agreed. Though sometimes it surprises me that no one seems to be able to exploit her lack of mobility (well enough for her to lose). But then again, she has come so close at these last few slams -- lost a match she should have won against Sharapova, injured against Kuznetsova, and then totally zoned out against Serena.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 12:32:06 PM »
Well while she has never, in my mind, dropped from having a chance to win grand slams, she still hasnt actually "won" a slam in five years.   So I wouldnt say nobody has taken advantage of her mobility problems, there is no way she could have a drought that long otherwise.

Then again the at the last 3 slams, her failure to win seemed to be more her unwillingness to grasp what was right in front of her, as opposed to her mobility deficit to other top player.   Perhaps she doesnt know how to allow herself to win a grand slam anymore, it has been so long, that you forget how to do it.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 12:53:04 PM »
I tell you what, it has been so long since I have have won a slam, I forget how to beat tough 4.5 players, so I think you might have a point.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 12:55:36 PM »
Really when was your last slam win?    :lmao:   Perhaps you are Mark Edmunston.    He is the slam winner most likely to have trouble beating 4.5 players now.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Williams
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 03:39:06 PM »
back to Serena

I think that she is one of the best female players of our time. She could probably beat some of the guy players.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2005, 03:54:04 PM »
Serena's very good but I seriously doubt she'd even win a set off any of the top 200+ males. I remember a few years ago, 2000 i think, Karsten Braasch, an aging heavy smoking German beat Serena 6-2 and Venus 6-1. Serena may have improved but she'd still get crushed nowadays.