Author Topic: Bovina vs S. Williams  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2005, 12:05:34 AM »
Quote from: "kittens25"
What is amazing about Serena, and discouraging for her anti-fans like myself she seems to be regaining her old trait, winning matches when she is not playing her best.   With all due respect to Bovina, a 6-1 set in Bovinas favor is so obvious one would not have to watch any of the match to draw a certain degree of conclusivenss to Serenas play.   Yet she still managed to win.

Very true, Serena doesn't even have to play her best to win a Major like at the AO. She can rely on her fight and her will to get her through.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2005, 12:16:32 AM »
Quote from: "RainerShuttle"
Serena's very good but I seriously doubt she'd even win a set off any of the top 200+ males. I remember a few years ago, 2000 i think, Karsten Braasch, an aging heavy smoking German beat Serena 6-2 and Venus 6-1. Serena may have improved but she'd still get crushed nowadays.

I think she would have a better chance of beating a top college player and even then it would be tight. I've seen Serena live a few times and she does have more power then most and she's very quick. I think her power is equal to allot of the men on ATP but the men are faster and better movers. Also the men tend to use allot more spin on the ball and I hate to say but they play more tactical tennis then the women. Her chances against a top college player would be much better a male in the top 200 is playing some serious tennis at that point so she may win a couple games but I can't see her winning.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Anonymous

Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 04:42:29 PM »
Quote from: "Pacer92110"
Quote from: "RainerShuttle"
Serena's very good but I seriously doubt she'd even win a set off any of the top 200+ males. I remember a few years ago, 2000 i think, Karsten Braasch, an aging heavy smoking German beat Serena 6-2 and Venus 6-1. Serena may have improved but she'd still get crushed nowadays.

I think she would have a better chance of beating a top college player and even then it would be tight. I've seen Serena live a few times and she does have more power then most and she's very quick. I think her power is equal to allot of the men on ATP but the men are faster and better movers. Also the men tend to use allot more spin on the ball and I hate to say but they play more tactical tennis then the women. Her chances against a top college player would be much better a male in the top 200 is playing some serious tennis at that point so she may win a couple games but I can't see her winning.

:) your probably right but I wouldn't be surprised if she can take down a few male players. She's a very strong girl and she serves harder than allot of men in the top 10. But are you saying then men are tactically superior to the women?

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2005, 04:59:21 PM »
Serena isn't going to win a set against any one that got an ATP point. Most of top local Open players here in SoCal will eat Serena and Venus up and still have enough energy left to swallow Davenport and whoever else that's in the top ten on the WTA list.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2005, 05:37:16 PM »
I didn't mention anything about being superior, the men just use tactics and strategies allot more then the women. Do you think a male version of Dementivia would be in the top 10 on the men's side. The men will attack any sighn of weakness and stratigically try to break it down. It's not about being superior it's just the Women's game hasn't caught up to the level of the Men's game.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2005, 05:41:03 PM »
Top 200?  Try Top 2000...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Anonymous

Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 06:23:59 PM »
I didn't mention anything about being superior, the men just use tactics and strategies allot more then the women. Do you think a male version of Dementivia would be in the top 10 on the men's side. The men will attack any sighn of weakness and stratigically try to break it down. It's not about being superior it's just the Women's game hasn't caught up to the level of the Men's game.

:) Why couldn't a woman beat a man? Look at a player like Hewit and Spadea, Serena and Sharapova hit harder then they do and I know Serena's allot faster then Spadea. I think the women are tactically better then the men. Look at Roddick all he does is serve and hit forehands that's not tactical.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 06:41:23 PM »
It might not be tactical, but it will prove to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much for any female.  (No offense females)
Scott Baker

Anonymous

Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 07:23:39 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
It might not be tactical, but it will prove to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much for any female.  (No offense females)

:) Maybe your right but it proves to be way to much for allot of men too. Maybe you men are a little threatened that women are catching up to you, huh? BTW this Board seems so much better than ESPN board, the people here seem so much more friendly. How can I join?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2005, 07:30:40 PM »
Guest - Just click on the "register" button at the top and choose a username and password.  You do not even need to wait for a conformation e-mail.  just post away!!!

I am sure men can be a little insecure about the subject.  But ask John McEnroe about the subect, he will tell you any top college player would easily defeat the best women.
Scott Baker

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2005, 10:55:18 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quote from: "Tennis4you"

:) Maybe your right but it proves to be way to much for allot of men too. Maybe you men are a little threatened that women are catching up to you, huh? BTW this Board seems so much better than ESPN board, the people here seem so much more friendly. How can I join?

If this board is anything like ESPN, I wouldn't be here. ESPN is a breeding ground for racists and all kinds of extremists.
I don't think the ATP is at all threatened by the WTA. If the women think they can compete with the men, then join the men's tour and it won't be a problem. However, if Spadea competes in the WTA tour, all hell would break loose  :))
Just my opinion, nothing personal.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2005, 01:03:41 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

:) Why couldn't a woman beat a man? Look at a player like Hewit and Spadea, Serena and Sharapova hit harder then they do and I know Serena's allot faster then Spadea. I think the women are tactically better then the men. Look at Roddick all he does is serve and hit forehands that's not tactical.

Serena, Sharapova and a few other women may hit the ball allot harder then Hewit and Spadea. But Serena and Sharapova in no way would beat Spadea or Hewit. Their both great female players but they have obvious weaknesses that the men would exploit. And tennis is not all about hitting the ball hard if that was the case then Fernando Gonzalez would be Number 1 in the world. I'm not saying that women don't use tactics,one word Hingis. Also Serena began to use more tactics in her game that's why she began to dominate not because of some big change in her shots. Davenport can be quite a taction at times, Henin Hardene. Women's tennis has come along way but not caught up to Men's tennis, it's two different worlds. Serena and Sharapova are great players but I can't ever see them beating a male player ranked in the anything hundred

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2005, 01:07:08 PM »
They may be able to hit as hard as the men, but not for as long.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »
Also I wanted to add that it may appear that Serena and Sharapova's balls travel faster than some of the Men's,  but they also hit a much flatter ball which makes the ball appear to move quicker through the court. The men tend to use more topspin.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »
Sorry but Serena beating Spadea, who's just outside the top 20 in the world? She'd be lucky to win a game.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2005, 01:29:17 PM »
I agree, men's tennis is several levels up. I'd really love to see Serena vs McEnroe, although I don' think Serena will win, McEnroe nearly beat Ancic in the single set 'Superset' competition held in the UK last year.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2005, 01:35:08 PM »
Oh there's no way She'd MCenroe, he'd find every weakness in her game and exploit it to death. MCenroe still plays some great tennis. I was a real young kind when Mcenroe was number 1 and winning Majors. Has his serve improved or has it always been the way it is now?

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2005, 01:41:21 PM »
In terms of the motion, Mac's serve is the same as it ever was, but with the modern day rackets, it is far more powerful than it was in 84 when he was at his peak. McEnroe says that ' I can give any pro a run for his money for a set or two', and on the evidence of his exhibition against Ancic, he is probably right.

Actually, I've though of a match I would really like to see: McEnroe VS Henman !

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Bovina vs S. Williams
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2005, 01:52:07 PM »
That would be a pretty nice match up, I think McEnroe would have a pretty good shot in that match. Like I said I was young when he was winning so I could be wrong but the way he plays I couldn't imagine he being any better. He's quick, powerful serve, best volley's I ever seen and a master tactically. I wonder has he's game dropped of as he's gotten older, it doesn't seem so. But I could be wrong