Author Topic: Serena vs. Hantuchova up next!  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Serena vs. Hantuchova up next!
« on: March 02, 2005, 04:51:45 PM »
Now that Serena struggled through her first match she now has to play Hantuchova.  There has been a lot of talk about Hantuchova here lately.  Anyone have any predictions?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 05:29:26 PM »
Serena in 2.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 06:35:29 PM »
With how sketchy that first match looked, I have to say that Hantuchova might, indeed, give Serena some trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams lost...honestly, she's pathetic and I completely understand how she did so bad in her last match. In fact, had Bovina been more experienced and just a par more higher, I think she would've downed Serena. She hasn't practiced at all and she's been using the injury crap to get back to the Hollywood life now that she thinks she's the junk after winning the open.

Serena & Venus...sigh...their lack of dedication bothers even ME -- a hardcore fan.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 09:54:15 AM »
Serena took the first set 6-4.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 09:58:22 AM »
Holy crap, they started already?  How did I miss that.  (Don't answet that  :) )

EDIT - - - Serena cooked through her in straight sets...  6-4, 6-3...  Maybe next time...
Scott Baker

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 05:07:02 PM »
Sounds decent enough.    I might expected a bit more lopsided score if Serena was really cooking but probably better than yesterday.   I doubt Hantuchova will ever get back to the top 10, she strikes me as being like Schett, a player who had one career year of top 10 standard, and will languish in the 20-30 range from there on out.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 05:11:23 PM »
Yeah, I reckon she's in the same bracket as someone like a Farina Elia, Schnyder, Dechy in that she'll beat the players around and below her but consistently lose to the top 10.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 05:31:48 PM »
I saw Sharapova blast her off the court at Wimbledon.   I felt so bad for her.   Not that she lost, but she came to the realization that her star had dimmed before it ever got that bright.   She was the rising star of the sport in Serenas dominant year of 2002, reaching two slam quarters with big wins, Dokin at Wimbledon, Henin at the U.S open, she was in the top 10, she had won a tier 1 title over Hingis.   She lost all her form the following year.   Last year she regained her commitment and played well, but there are now younger players with more talent who have already passed her by, her window has already closed so to speak, as far as ever being one of the games true elite.  Sharapova even eliminates any chance she has of being the glamour queen of tour.   Sharapova is just as glamourous, and even to those that disagree with that, you need to atleast be in the top 10 to hold that role when somebody so capable of filling it is right at the top.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 05:53:35 PM »
I think Serena has the game to hang with the best of the best.  I think she would of done better against Maria at the Big W if she realized what she was going to be up against.  Not saying she would have won, but I think she could of put up a better fight.

This is going to bea neat year.  If all the top women were healthy this could be one of the best years ever.

Imagine if these players were all playing their absolute best tennis this year:

Serena
Venus
Justine
Clijsters
Mauresmo
Capriat
Davenport
Sharapova
Myskina
And who knows who else I am missing.  But daaaaang, every slam would be game for just about any of them really, except maybe Mauresmo and Venus.  But they would still make for some great matches

If only...
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 10:26:52 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"

Serena
Venus
Justine
Clijsters
Mauresmo
Capriat
Davenport
Sharapova
Myskina
except maybe Mauresmo and Venus.

I'd take a peak Venus over a peak Justine, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Capriati, etc.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 10:17:01 AM »
Quote from: "BitterBlueBong"
Quote from: "Tennis4you"

Serena
Venus
Justine
Clijsters
Mauresmo
Capriat
Davenport
Sharapova
Myskina
except maybe Mauresmo and Venus.

I'd take a peak Venus over a peak Justine, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Capriati, etc.

I would take a peak Venus over those four woman(plus Myskina)
as well, except on clay.    ..-)

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:48:37 PM »
LOL!  :)~

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 01:54:21 PM »
Hey to show I am not all Venus-pesstimist I will say her chances improve against Sharapova and Davenport on clay however.    ;)    On another note though a "peak form" Venus seems like such a foreign concept at the moment, discussing it seems like talking about a Santa Clause dentist.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 02:45:36 PM »
LOL We appreciate your effort, Kittens.  :)~

In truth, I'd take a peak Venus over everyone on that list except Serena. While several of them have had wins over Venus in the past year, she has  accomplished more than the rest of them career-wise for the most part (i.e. grand slams, overall record, win streaks, etc). Sharapova is the only one listed who hasn't peaked, IMO, so in a few years this might be a different discussion.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 02:52:05 PM »
Well I dont think the general indicator of having done more in your career neccessarily indicates your peak tennis beating another's peak tennis, at that particular point in time.   Andre Agassi has won twice as many slams as Roger Federer, at this point, but do you think Agassi's peak tennis would beat Roger's peak tennis right now?   I highly doubt you would think that.    Nor do I think Henin's peak tennis would beat Sharapova's peak tennis on a hard court, right now, however if you went strictly by career achievments it is all Henin on hard courts right now.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 03:00:35 PM »
Andre Agassi has won twice as many slams as Roger Federer, at this point, but do you think Agassi's peak tennis would beat Roger's peak tennis right now? I highly doubt you would think that. Nor do I think Henin's peak tennis would beat Sharapova's peak tennis on a hard court, right now, however if you went strictly by career achievments it is all Henin on hard courts right now.

As for Agassi/Federer, correct me if I'm wrong, but Agassi never won three slams in a year did he? So, it's a different story.

And no, career achievements are not always a measurement (and as I said, Sharapova is the only one who hasn't peaked yet), but I think in Venus' case, it is. I don't want to have to go through everyone on that list, but I think it's fair to say that Venus has beaten several of them at their peak (Lindsay, Capriati), and others (Justine, Kim) arguably reached their peak when she and her sister weren't around. Mauresmo and Myskina don't even factor in, IMO. And we already talked about Sharapova. But to me, the fact that no one has duplicated Venus' 35-match win streak (not even Serena), picking up slams and Olympic titles and beating top players along the way says her peak trumps most other peaks.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 03:13:58 PM »
Fair enough.   All I was saying is I didnt agree with career achievement as proper reasoning for a specific point of time, especially with regards to the players younger.    I also dont think Venus's current "peak" tennis is as good as her past "peak" tennis, peak being the best she would be capable of now.    I also dont agree Sharapova is the only one who hasnt reached her best tennis yet.   I expect Kuznetsova can still improve, and if Dementieva fixs her serve she is a totally different player again.   I even thought Henin and Clijsters could keep improving before they went down in the spring of last year.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 05:56:02 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, there's only one peak. I didn't mention Kuznetsova or Dementieva because I was just going by the players listed. They have room for improvement, but I haven't been that impressed by their potential either.