Author Topic: Davis Cup  (Read 5431 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:40:16 PM »
OK, the Davis Cup matches have begun.  Hewitt won his first match in straight sets.

Besides the US, who do you think is a favorite?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Davis Cup
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 09:42:24 PM »
Russia Australia
Spains got it tough, they have the advantage in players but have to play indoor. Rafa and the coach (jordi aresse) decided he wouldnt play because of the surface and he hadnt yet adapted. Instead FLo will play 1 singles.
Its all good...

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 06:19:34 AM »
For the U.S, they should win the doubles for sure, which means that only 2 victories are needed from Agassi and Roddick's four singles matches- should be attainable, but Ancic and Ljubicic are very dangerous.

I would expect Agassi to withdraw from Sunday's singles if the tie is already won, because he played a lot of matches in Dubai last week, and needs to save himself for Indian Wells and Miami. However, a long weekend here, and IW could well be skipped- Agassi's hip does not hold up well to too many matches these days.

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Davis Cup
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:16:52 AM »
ESPN2 will have the Davis Cup live today at 3:00 PM EST which is noon local time in California.   The next match will go to ESPN Classic on tape at midnight ESPN which is 9:00 PM in California.  That would also allow time for rain delays that might occur.  Saturday will be at 10:00 PM EST on tape but could be live if there are rain delays.  Sunday will be live at 5:00 PM EST on ESPN Classic for the two matches if the tie is still alive.  The ESPN2 will live on tape the deciding match at 11:00 PM EST or the final dead rubber match. This is the first time in quite awhile you have a Davis Cup match in early March since about 1985.  Because of all the college basketball tournaments ESPN and ESPN2 have problems clearing enough time for Davis Cup so they have decided to have ESPN Classic fill in.  Back in March 1985 ESPN had fewer college basketball games and they had those matches live from Japan in March 1985 in the evening.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 09:22:21 AM »
Sweet!  We get some live tennis!  I can only assume it will be Agassi or Roddick?  Hopefully Agassi.  His match should be great if they both play well.  Ivan has been tearing it up recently.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
Davis Cup
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 09:43:29 AM »
Agassi has to play Ljubicic today?  That has the potential to be an outstanding match up.  I would venture to say that Ljubicic will win that match.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 05:22:17 PM »
Agassi beaten in straights by Ljubicic and it's not too much of a surpirse when you consider the Croatin's form at the moment. Looks like Agassi's DC bid may end up being a big waste of time. The mighty Agassi retuns to DC play to try and get the title for his country but loses anyway.

The U.S is  probably heading out if Roddick loses to Ancic. Can't see them coming back from 0-2.

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Davis Cup
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 05:30:33 PM »
Roddick should win later today and the US should win the doubles tomorrow.   Then the reverse singles will feature each countries no. 1 against no. 1 in one match and no. 2 against no.2 in the other match on Sunday.  Each one will be a toss up.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 05:39:02 PM »
Ancic gave Roddick a hard time at Wimbledon last year, and I think he'll do it again. But you're right about the doubles, that should be a lock for the U.S.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 05:57:31 PM »
I hope the US can pull it together.  Ivan was hitting a lot of shallow balls, I am suprised Agassi didn't take more control of some points.   But Ivan played well, he can scramble well for a big guy.  He looks like a boxer.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »
Scott, did Agassi have any chances to get into the match, or did Ljubicic keep shutting him out with big serves? What were the cross court backhand rallies like, the ones that Agassi loves?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 06:04:01 PM »
I thought Agassi missed way too much.  Ljubicic hit some good shots, but hit a lot of shallow shots.  Agassi tried keeping the ball deep to Ivan's backhand but in the end it didn't work out.  The second set was a tie-breaker and Ivan lost no points.
Scott Baker

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 06:06:39 PM »
Didn't Agassi serve for the second set? Did he have set points? Did he make a stackload of errors during the match?

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 06:09:16 PM »
Spain 2-0 down after first day's play. Looks like that ultrafast court and decision to drop Nadal may be hurting them. We could well have a new DC champion in 2005.

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Davis Cup
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 06:09:48 PM »
Agassi never had a set point in the second set.  He was two points away from the set several times.   He served for the set once and his opponent had to serve to stay in the set twice.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 06:58:33 PM »
Roddick dropped the first set and is up 4-1 in the second set to Ancic.  If the US goes down 0-2 they will be in deep crap.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2005, 05:55:57 PM »
The Bryan Brothers are up 6-3, 1-2 on serve.  If they lose today I think the US will have a hard time winning here.  But if they pull through, I would have to say that the US will be looking good.

I actually think big Ivan will take down Roddick.  But I think Agassi will pull through.  He needs redemption.
Scott Baker

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2005, 07:49:42 PM »
The Bryan Brothers are down 1-2 sets and are at 4-5 in the 4th set.  What is the world coming to?

Let's see a 5th set gentleman!!!  Wear out those two players for tomorrows match!!!
Scott Baker

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 10:19:29 PM »
I didn't even realize teh tennis was actually on. Mostly because I was just being lazy and avoiding this thread cuz I dunno much about Davis Cup. But around this time of tennis drough - any tennis is good tennis :). I'm watching the USA/Croatia match right now. Is this the one you were talking about went to a 5th, Scott?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2005, 10:22:21 PM »
The Bryan Brother did not make it to a 5th set.  The US is down 1-2 now and have to win both singles tomorrow.

First up:  Roddick vs Ljubicic
Second uo (if needed) Agassi vs Ancic

I think it is very possible the US can make a comeback, but they need to play 2 VERY solid matches!
Scott Baker