Author Topic: Davis Cup  (Read 5078 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2005, 02:27:45 PM »
If Ljubicic plays as well against Andy as he has against Roger he should win.   Since he took Roger to three sets twice in a row, it couldnt have just been a sluggish Roger, because it happened twice in a row, if it was once that is what I would imagine or atleast consider.    If he plays like that Andy loses, period.   If he chokes, Andy will play well and win period.   It is all up to Ljubicic to play as well against Andy as he did against Roger.

Offline trente-quinze

• Tennis Enthusiast
Davis Cup
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2005, 05:15:53 PM »
France vs Sweden:

I had never seen Pimpim Johansson (yeah I don't "go out" much I know!) but got to see him play twice this weekend. For whatever reason I thought he had a 2-handed backhand so it was a nice surprise to see he has a decent one-hander.
He even made a beautiful sliced backhand passing-shot down the line against Grosjean today, you sure don't see the slice used that way too often, the commentators said it was a Ken Rosewall-like shot.
His serve is what you know it is but the groundstrokes aren't that impressive at least not regular enough for clay.

Thomas Johansson played well while Grosjean was clearly not back at his best yet. On the other hand Paul-Henri Mathieu was very impressive, he has played the South American clay season and although he did not do particularly well there it probably helped. When he is healthy and confident he can be really dangerous.

I wasn't too confident before the doubles but even if Jonas Bjorkman is #1 in doubles his Davis Cup doubles results have been so-so lately.
The surprise of this match was that Arnaud Clément came out on fire, hitting great returns and even many aces. After disappointing in the semi-final in Spain last year I guess he has won back his Davis Cup warrior tag. Too bad his singles ranking has dropped so much.

By the way, ToJo is looking so different with his current hairdo than when he won the Australian Open, don't you think?
Mats Wilander and Guy Forget exchanged a few smiles and signs at some brilliant or lucky shots, I know they are pals on the senior tour and all but it's quite unusual to see some complicity between 2 captains during matches.
And I'm glad that all French players finally were wearing blue shirts. Geez why did it take them so many years.

Next is Russia in Russia. It's hard to know who will be in good form in July but against Safin, Youzhny, Davydenko and Andreev, that cannot be easy. Wonder what surface they'll chose.

Apart from that, did you see that Romania came back from 2/1 down to beat Belarus? It's not too often the team that loses the doubles still win the tie.

And I'm glad Greg decided to stick to Davis Cup even without Tim.

Well, I hope Andy beats Ivan. Not that I care for Roddick, I actually like Ljubicic but I don't want Agassi's Davis Cup comeback to be a fiasco. Let's give him a chance to square off with Baby Goran.
the froggy chick formerly known as arnod

Offline Sophie

• Tennis Addict
Davis Cup
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »
Well, South Africa went down 3-2, put it was a magnificent performance from Jeff Coetzee and Weslie Moodie.  Wayne Ferriera just wasn't ready (he was supposed to be a backup but had to play when Rik DeVoest became ill).  

Roddick is down 1-2 to Ivan.  Looks like it is a really close match.  He lost in a 3rd set tiebreaker.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2005, 09:12:37 PM »
US loses in the first round, how sad is that?  Oh well, Agassi is now relieved of duty for a while.  That was probably his last Davis Cup match.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Sophie

• Tennis Addict
Davis Cup
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2005, 11:14:24 AM »
I really wish the previous years winners would get a first round bye.  The players put a full year into trying to win the Cup, but can go out in the first round 3 months later.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2005, 11:17:52 AM »
Hmmm, not a bad idea!

A long time ago at the Big W, didn't the defending champion only have to play in the finals and no other matches?  I thought I saw a commercial about that a while back, or did I dream that shiznit up?
Scott Baker

Offline FLAG3264

• Tennis Player
Davis Cup
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2005, 01:04:41 PM »
Scott,

I do recall reading once that the Wimbledon's Men's Champion from the previous year received a bye straight through to the finals. They make a mention of something similar at Wimbledon.org under 1877 The First Wimbledon when William Marshall received a bye in to the finals only to be defeated by Spencer Gore. Not to take anything away from William Renshaw and his 7 titles but with less players and matches to get to the finals and possibly as we both mentioned a free pass to the finals... it surely makes one appreciate Sampras's 7 titles and Borg's 5 consecutive titles.

Offline trente-quinze

• Tennis Enthusiast
Davis Cup
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2005, 02:14:20 PM »
I'm not sure about Wimbledon, but it used to be the case precisely for Davis Cup I think.
the froggy chick formerly known as arnod

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Davis Cup
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2005, 08:26:08 AM »
Quote from: "trente-quinze"
France vs Sweden:

I had never seen Pimpim Johansson (yeah I don't "go out" much I know!) but got to see him play twice this weekend. For whatever reason I thought he had a 2-handed backhand so it was a nice surprise to see he has a decent one-hander.
He even made a beautiful sliced backhand passing-shot down the line against Grosjean today, you sure don't see the slice used that way too often, the commentators said it was a Ken Rosewall-like shot.
His serve is what you know it is but the groundstrokes aren't that impressive at least not regular enough for clay.

Thomas Johansson played well while Grosjean was clearly not back at his best yet. On the other hand Paul-Henri Mathieu was very impressive, he has played the South American clay season and although he did not do particularly well there it probably helped. When he is healthy and confident he can be really dangerous.

I wasn't too confident before the doubles but even if Jonas Bjorkman is #1 in doubles his Davis Cup doubles results have been so-so lately.
The surprise of this match was that Arnaud Clément came out on fire, hitting great returns and even many aces. After disappointing in the semi-final in Spain last year I guess he has won back his Davis Cup warrior tag. Too bad his singles ranking has dropped so much.

By the way, ToJo is looking so different with his current hairdo than when he won the Australian Open, don't you think?
Mats Wilander and Guy Forget exchanged a few smiles and signs at some brilliant or lucky shots, I know they are pals on the senior tour and all but it's quite unusual to see some complicity between 2 captains during matches.
And I'm glad that all French players finally were wearing blue shirts. Geez why did it take them so many years.

Next is Russia in Russia. It's hard to know who will be in good form in July but against Safin, Youzhny, Davydenko and Andreev, that cannot be easy. Wonder what surface they'll chose.

Apart from that, did you see that Romania came back from 2/1 down to beat Belarus? It's not too often the team that loses the doubles still win the tie.

And I'm glad Greg decided to stick to Davis Cup even without Tim.

Well, I hope Andy beats Ivan. Not that I care for Roddick, I actually like Ljubicic but I don't want Agassi's Davis Cup comeback to be a fiasco. Let's give him a chance to square off with Baby Goran.

Thanks for posting your accessment of the Sweden-France tie.  It is kewl to hear about ties you dont have a chance to see.

Offline Mary-Caroline

• Tennis Player
Davis Cup
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2005, 07:16:56 PM »
Re Britain

I think Greg is relishing his role as our senior Davis Cup player and he certainly turned in 2 solid performances this weekend.  The doubles result was also impressive but inevitably the press has blown the victory out of all proportion.  I hope that Andy Murray and David Sherwood continue in this vein but I have my doubts, and unfortunately I cannot see British tennis improving dramatically in the next few years.  I'd love to be wrong, however!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2005, 07:42:33 PM »
Where was Connors putting a lot of time in recently?  Wasn't it England?
Scott Baker

Offline Mary-Caroline

• Tennis Player
Davis Cup
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2005, 07:14:55 PM »
Scott

Connors was indeed doing something related to Davis Cup over here, but I forget what exactly.  I shall go and attempt to find out!

Offline Mary-Caroline

• Tennis Player
Davis Cup
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2005, 07:20:56 PM »
Ah, Connors' work is not directly Davis Cup related.  He's in the process of forming a "long term relationship" with the LTA.  The details were a bit woolly, but it seems he's going to become some sort of mentor for our young players.  Certainly can't make them much worse...

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Davis Cup
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2005, 08:16:05 PM »
Thx MC!!!
Scott Baker