Author Topic: Tennis family starting out  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Tennis Dad

• New Poster
Tennis family starting out
« on: September 15, 2007, 10:59:29 AM »
I have a 14 year old son who, like Scott, wants to play tennis on the high school team.  Tennis4you is a great resource and will help him get into the tennis culture.  His interest peaked the interest of the rest of the family.  I have been a recreational tennis player for many years.  The five of us have been practicing hitting the ball against a handball court at the local elementary school.  I was not able to find beginner drills or instruction on techniques such as how to hold the racquet, forehand and backhand swing, etc on the site.  I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Many thanks,

Tennis Dad

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Tennis family starting out
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:39:59 AM »
:welcome)  :welcome2:  :welcome)  :welcome2:  :welcome)  :welcome2:  :welcome)  :welcome2:

Welcome to T4Y. Great to hear about your beginning to learn how to play tennis. I started out doing exactly the same way. Hit against the garage door for a long time before venturing out onto a tennis court.
I look forward to hearing of the developments in your family.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
Re: Tennis family starting out
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 02:32:18 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis Dad"
I have a 14 year old son who, like Scott, wants to play tennis on the high school team.  Tennis4you is a great resource and will help him get into the tennis culture.  His interest peaked the interest of the rest of the family.  I have been a recreational tennis player for many years.  The five of us have been practicing hitting the ball against a handball court at the local elementary school.  I was not able to find beginner drills or instruction on techniques such as how to hold the racquet, forehand and backhand swing, etc on the site.  I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Many thanks,

Tennis Dad

Nice to see you've been taking an interest in the forum for a while.  :lmao: :applause:

Try this site: it looks pretty useful for teaching tennis.
http://tennis.lifetips.com/cat/60843/tennis-for-beginners/

Good luck! Keep up updated! :H

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »
Welcome Tennis Dad and good luck with your "new" family activity!
Tennis is a sport that can be played for a lifetime and is a great way to spend time with those you love!

My favorite instructional site is http://www.tennisone.com/
Although a subscription is required, it is well worth it in my opinion.
There is a wealth of written information and the video library of strokes is better than any site I've found to date.

Good luck and keep us posted here on your progress!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »
Welcome! That's so cool that your whole family is involved.. it makes it all the more fun for everyone and .. yeah, lots of fun. you know the best way to get off to a great start is to have someone who has been playing tennis for a while show you, perhaps friends or coaches or pros at local tennis clubs. But, if that is not feasable.. best thing to do would be to watch a lot of tennis on TV or go to some of the highschool matches going on, or college matches. And to fine tune that best thing is to get a nicely illustrated book from the library .. I'll keep an eye out on sites that teach the basics.. mostly its just searching for specific things. For example.. lets say you were focusing on the forehand for the next few weeks, just google it.. and you are bound to come up with tons. Tennis.com and About.com also have a lot of articles and of course..the best place is.. well you are here.

Offline 6-0tennis

• Tennis Player
    • 6-0tennis - Play & Win Like The Pro's
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »
Hi Tennis Dad,

I have just set-up a free blog where I'll be adding plenty of instructional lessons etc. Right now I have just posted an article about forehand preparation. You might find it useful - www.6-0tennis.com

I used to play on the professional circuit and have trained and worked with several of the top guys, if anyone needs any input gimme a shout - I'll be happy to help.

Peace.
www.6-0tennis.com Tennis Lessons To Play & Win Like The Pros

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »
I want to hear more!!  How has it been going as a family!?  We would like to get the lil' Bakers out on the courts this Summer and eventually have tennis as a family sport. :))
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline emily888

• Tennis Player
    • tennis rackets
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:33:38 AM »
Welcome to T4Y.  :)~

Offline webguru24x7

• New Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »
Its a very good approach till you get to a court.Try to be consistent and look up for some video tutorials.