Author Topic: Nadal out of singles - good or bad?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Nadal out of singles - good or bad?
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:03:16 PM »
Nadal will not be playing singles in the Davis Cup, they put Lopez in instead.  They have Nadal at dubs with Costa.  Is this a good or bad move?  Nadal played the finals last time and won, but it was on clay.  Apparently this is a fast playing court and Nadal says he is not used to the conditions.  I know the AO is a little slower, but I though Nadal played very well there.  We will see if Lopez pulls through.

Any thoughts on this decision?  I have a feeling I know Betsmoyos thoughts.  :)

Nadal dropped from singles by champions Spain
Thu Mar 3, 2005 1:52 PM GMT   

LONDON, March 3 (Reuters) - Davis Cup hero Rafael Nadal was dropped on Thursday from his singles spot in Spain's team for the champions' clash with Slovakia this weekend.

The teenager helped guide Spain to victory over the United States in last December's final but will feature only in the doubles in Bratislava on Saturday.

Captain Jordi Arrese instead picked the fast-court expertise of Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco.

"I came here two days ago and I haven't adapted to the surface yet," said Nadal who will join forces with Albert Costa for the doubles on Saturday.

"But I am fine with the captain's decision and I have absolutely no doubts in the strengths of Feliciano and Fernando."

Lopez, the most proficient of the Spaniards on fast courts, was named Spain's number one singles player in the absence of Carlos Moya who has quit the men's team competition.

Lopez will tackle Karol Beck in the first match on the carpet court of Bratislava's National Tennis Centre. Thursday's draw also pitted Verdasco against the home team's first pick Dominik Hrbaty.

FELL VICTIM

The only other time Spain defended their crown in the Davis Cup they fell victim to the Netherlands in the first round.

Spanish captain Arrese is confident his team can avoid a similar fate.

"Fortunately I have strong players," he said. "Our task and responsibility is to play for the one hundred Spanish fans who have come to root for us in Bratislava and also for the thousands back home who will be watching the tie on TV."

In Sydney, world number two Lleyton Hewitt hopes to get Australia off to a flier against Austria when he plays Alexander Peya in the opening match.

"Hopefully I can go out there and get the boys off to a good start and put a lot of pressure on Melzer," said Hewitt who has declared himself fully fit after struggling with a hip injury during the Australian Open.

"Hopefully we're in for a big day tomorrow."

Australian number two Wayne Arthurs, winner of his first career title in Arizona last weekend, will then play Juergen Melzer in the second singles match.

Davis Cup champions for a 28th time in 2003, Australia are looking to atone for a poor result last year when they were beaten in the first round by Sweden and then overcame Morocco in a play-off to stay in the world group.

Mikhail Youzhny will open Russia's 2005 challenge against Chilean number one Fernando Gonzalez while Australian Open champion Marat Safin, who beat Hewitt in the final, should face little resistance against the unheralded Adrian Garcia.

In Fribourg, a Roger Federer-less Switzerland will be led by the unheralded Marco Chiudinelli and Stanislas Wawrinka as they tackle the Dutch.

Chiudinelli, ranked 150 in the world, faces Sjeng Schalken in the opener and 118th-ranked Wawrinka plays Peter Wessels.

French hopes rest on Paul-Henri Mathieu and Sebastien Grosjean. Mathieu meets Joachim Johansson on Friday while Grosjean battles Thomas Johansson.

It will be all change in the doubles when France's Arnaud Clement and Michael Llodra play Jonas Bjorkman and Simon Aspelin. The draws for Argentina-Czech Republic, Romania-Belarus and the tie of the weekend U.S.-Croatia are expected later on Thursday.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 01:54:29 AM »
I think I read the surface is supposed to be super fast, so much so that the Spaniards are filing an official protest?  I'm not sure.  Pulling Nadal is a very understandable move.  Lopez should be deadly on that surface.  Then again, Nadal got to the third round of Wimbledon.  It's going to be a competitive and quite possibly a very contentious rubber.

Offline trente-quinze

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 04:07:49 AM »
Choosing the players most adapted to the surface seems wise although I have the feeling Nadal is the kind of player who can get fired up for big matches whatever the surface.

Then there's the fact that I think it will be Verdasco first selection, and that's always better to do in a first round than later.

Finally, Rafa is good in doubles and has won a tournament with Costa this year and of course, there is still the possibility to bring him in singles on Sunday.
the froggy chick formerly known as arnod

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:11:44 AM »
Spain will be alright; Lopez is quality, and Verdasco is good enough .

Offline Tennis Freak

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 09:43:51 AM »
Probably good.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 09:48:16 AM »
Well not a great start with Lopez losing to Beck....